Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
If you live in a small apartment
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I recently found a new spot to storage stuff- top of the sefarim shrank. It’s nice and hidden LOL
(Top of kitchen cabinets, breakfront, freezer washer/dryer all full )
Signed,
Mom in a one bedroom apt with 4 kids plus a ton of medical supplies.
Ps. Tissues and bounty etc don’t get much stocked up on but we’ve got experience storaging our monthly supplies.

Where do your kids sleep?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:06 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
So you basically are running to the store 5 times a day, and then the neighbors are laughing and saying those nebbys live in the store . Why are they going to Shoprite all day long

BTDT

Who uses 5 rolls of toilet paper a day? I don't keep stock of anything and I go to the store once a week.
The only thing I buy in bulk is pampers and wipes and keep it under the baby's crib.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:37 pm
We bought a hi- riser bed for the kids so that we could fit lots of storage under there.
They sell shelves that wrap around the toilet. Bed Bath and Beyond, Amazon sell. We went with wire but they do sell closed for more money if you will be there a long time.
High shelves are tremendously helpful. Even a simple shelf for nicer things frees up closet space for others.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
So you basically are running to the store 5 times a day, and then the neighbors are laughing and saying those nebbys live in the store . Why are they going to Shoprite all day long

BTDT

We keep one extra roll of TP in each bathroom, and the rest of the package on the floor the linen closet. Extra rolls of paper towels on the floor of the coat closet. When we get low, we buy more. No, we don't have enough for 6 months, but since we're all out of the house almost every day, we can always buy if we run out. No need to run out multiple times a day.

One thing you can do if your kids are young, or if you have boys (so no dresses) is lower the bar in the kids' closets so you can fit 2 shelves above the clothes bar. The higher shelf is storage. That's mostly Pesach stuff for us, though.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Where do your kids sleep?

1 in the bathtub, and 2 in my kitchen sinks. The other one never sleeps

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
1 in the bathtub, and 2 in my kitchen sinks. The other one never sleeps

You're funny salmon!! At least you have a sense of humor BH.

Violet, I am sure Salmon has a high riser in her bedroom for some kids and another one in the dining room for the other kids.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
We don’t stock up more than we have room for. No Costco room in a small apartment. Buy when you need (Amazon has subscription on many items that you can lock in the price for and they’ll deliver on a monthly basis)

Just as an FYI, you don't really lock in the price on a long term basis. When you subscribe for the first time, you lock in the price for that month's order. After that the price can go up or down each month. They notify you of these changes in the email they send, about a week before you can no longer make changes to that month's subscriptions. Prices can change drastically each month, so it's worth verifying before they ship your order.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:18 pm
We live in a one bedroom apartment.
We use some of the tricks already mentioned.
Do you have shelves above the toilet? There are inexpensive units designed specifically for this purpose.
Lots of stick on hooks on our walls for hanging coats and lunch bags. Lots of over-the- door hooks and organizers.
We have garage shelves for storage in the kitchen and living room. Instead of putting objects directly on the shelves, they go in stackable containers so the shelf space is used efficiently.
There are Rubbermaid type containers designed to fit under beds.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:22 pm
We are blessed with a good amount of closet space ... but we also have one side of our dining room lined with IKEA IVAR shelving, with curtains in front to cover. It gets us a LOT of extra storage, B"H!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 6:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

BTDT

We shopped once a week and were fine

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:57 pm
I didn't read any of the other ideas bit I'll share mine.
Make sure you are using any vertical space. Look at the walls or even close to the ceilings. For example, behind the door you can get basket thinks that could hold lots of your stuff like all the toiletries (if you have atiny sink like we do) or could hold some toilet paper.
In the closets if it keeps getting messy, it means you need more shelves and boxes to put them in. I got 2 really cheap shoe racks from the dollar store ($4) and put smaller containers (also dollar store) but you can even use shoeboxes and it would fit perfect! Makes the space much more efficient and functional so that it stays neat. Also you can put those shoe storage things with a bunch of pouches that hang on the back of the door and that adds a bunch of space.
Sometimes worth it to purge a bunch of stuff and not keep as much inventory of things like toilet paper and paper towels like you would if you had a bigger space. Just split with a friend if a big value package is way cheaper. I find it easier to budget that way too when you are a young couple.

superjew1

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:00 pm
Another idea is to buy yourself one or two storage cupboards that are like plastic looking and they can serve as both a pantry or a storage space for stuff like toilet paper

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:22 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
We never stocked up on these things when I lived in small apartments. We bought as needed. We fit toilet paper in the vanity cabinet and if it didn’t fit than it meant we had too much at a time and needed to cut down even more. I purchased 2 rolls of paper towel at a time and it hung on a paper towel holder under my upper kitchen cabinets.

This.
Even now when I do have the space, I find it's not worth it.
I do sometimes have some extras but o ly if there is a crazy deal...

I have 2 shelves in a narrow 24" closet with stuff we often use and I need to have a backup of.
Like basic baking/ cooking stapes and supplies, nuts, butters, pasta, rice cake, some cans & jars, coffee and disposable paper goods / foam cups / foil pans and 1 roll of paper towel.

Toilet paper I keep in thr toilet. Upstairs we have a recessed cabinet in the toilet.
I keep extra 1 tooth paste and one new toothbrush for each family member in the vanity attached to the toilet. Also the razars, toiletries, bedikas..... a bar or 2 of dhs soap, kids and mine are huge bottles so we don't stock. What else?
Downstaird vanity and toilet is one room and the sink is a pedastal sink so only storage is in the recessed cabinet behind the mirror. so I keep 2 extra pks of toilet paper there, with hand soap, a shampoo, conditioner, body wash, tooth brush, toothpaste and other essentails for guest.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:12 pm
We have zero closet space and no extra storage. We have a small small laundry room (we are in Israel) and so we built shelves along one wall, not a very long wall, all the way to the ceiling, and that is our storage space, for everything, from pasta to glue, to toilet cleaner. It was worth every shekel.
ALso, in one bathroom, we bought nice keter drawers (they look like wicker) that holds the toilet paper.
Other than that, we do not stock up on things. We buy things that will last a week and what cam fit in that laundry room. We dont stock up like a war is coming. No room for it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics