Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Unhealthy feelings

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:41 pm
My ds15 yo told me tonight something that has been on his mind for the past year. Please be very sensitive because I really don’t know what to do. He has an appointment with a therapist for the first time next week for other things and we’ll bring it up slowly, but right now I don’t know how to help him. He said he loves me in a se*ual way. I tried to be very empathetic towards him but at the same time explain that it’s unhealthy. I think I said all the right things, but I’m still in wonderment. He also did things that were completely wrong, but he rectified it on his own. He otherwise is a pretty normal boy with I believe a normal upbringing. Please help me or chizzuk or something! I wish I can help him!! Sad

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:43 pm
I think it’s normal for kids to feel some attraction to their opposite gender parent. Maybe he is over thinking it and confusing his feelings for females with you. I think it’s great he spoke to you about it.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:47 pm
This reminds me of the poster in the "shell" thread that claims that mom's can dress provocatively and non tzenuis in front of their boys because boys can't have s-xual feelings towards their mother's.
I'm assuming that your way of dress is ok and tzenuis?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This reminds me of the poster in the "shell" thread that claims that mom's can dress provocatively and non tzenuis in front of their boys because boys can't have s-xual feelings towards their mother's.
I'm assuming that your way of dress is ok and tzenuis?

It's not that boys can't have such feelings, it's that it's not normal and isn't caused by the mode of dress.

trixx

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:55 pm
Freud was very into this.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
It's not that boys can't have such feelings, it's that it's not normal and isn't caused by the mode of dress.

Of course it can be caused by mode of dress.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:10 pm
It may be as simple as teenage hormones plus confusion regarding no appropriate s-xual outlet. And his guilt over these feelings can be giving them much more significance than they would have if they weren't causing him so much anxiety.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:12 pm
Sometimes OCD can be behind these kinds of things- rather than actually having these feelings, he could be experiencing compulsive thoughts that make him think he has these feelings. I personally have experienced this (in a different way obviously) and found it extremely frightening

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My ds15 yo told me tonight something that has been on his mind for the past year. Please be very sensitive because I really don’t know what to do. He has an appointment with a therapist for the first time next week for other things and we’ll bring it up slowly, but right now I don’t know how to help him. He said he loves me in a se*ual way. I tried to be very empathetic towards him but at the same time explain that it’s unhealthy. I think I said all the right things, but I’m still in wonderment. He also did things that were completely wrong, but he rectified it on his own. He otherwise is a pretty normal boy with I believe a normal upbringing. Please help me or chizzuk or something! I wish I can help him!! Sad

Did things that were wrong? Towards you?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:26 am
I agree with the poster who mentioned ocd. That was my first thought. These type of obsessive thoughts can plague you. I think it’s good that he felt able to tell you about it, so you can help him get help.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:33 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I think it’s normal for kids to feel some attraction to their opposite gender parent. Maybe he is over thinking it and confusing his feelings for females with you. I think it’s great he spoke to you about it.

??????

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:56 am
Interesting it reminds me when I was a little kid I had a certain s-xual feeling towards my mom , im a female. It went away when I got older . I never discussed it with anyone just im still very curious why I felt that way. I have no idea. I dont think I'll ever know.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 5:46 am
I agree with the OCD element. Has she shown other areas of anxiety and / or obsessions?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 5:50 am
OP can I just say how amazed I am that he felt safe telling you about this???! You must be a really awesome, trustworthy mother. I’m completely serious. That’s an enormous level of trust he showed you. I hope my kids feel that safe and comfortable with me when they’re older!

I don’t have any advice about what you’re dealing with, but there’s a lot to unpack with these things. It’s not always what it seems. Good for you for taking him to get the help he needs.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

Not really normal to feel attraction. Confusion? Yea.. totally normal.

Also, to the ones questioning ops tznius;
It's not normal to feel attracted to a mother regardless of her tznius except if the boy is totally confused with his feelings.

To a boy that is not confused, a mother with tight clothing or clothing emphasizing parts of her body are a turn off.

So OP, I say your son doesn't have unhealthy feelings but rather a huge confusion and misplaced feelings.
I would say the the solution is as easy as explaining things to him so he knows how to deal with his emotions.

I hope this therapist understands these subjects very well. Both OCD and attraction issues. Not every therapist does.
Even if therapists do know the subjects, not every therapist can explain these subjects very well and help him sort it out.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 7:44 am
Thank you everybody. He had a very hard time telling me. I told him that I think the bigger problem is the obsession and infatuation. Thank you for pointing out OCD. I will bring that up with the therapist. I would never have thought he would have it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 10:02 am
My ds doesn’t want me to tell anyone which I completely understand, but I told him that we’ll tell the therapist so she can help him. I’m not going to tell her straight out, but mention the obsessiveness and infatuation. He can tell her in his own time, but I need it addressed ASAP. Since I won’t be telling her, I can’t ask her other things about it, so I’m asking here what you think. What kind of boundaries should we keep if at all? I’m not a touchy feely person, so it’s not a problem in general but last night when he started breaking down because he felt lousy about himself, I wanted to hug him or at least give him a pat on his shoulder. I didn’t because I felt it was passing a boundary we should maybe keep. Was I wrong? Should we keep some sort of boundary? He’s afraid I’m going to feel and act differently towards him. I assured him I won’t, but when it comes to touch, I’m very hesitant. Like I said I’m not a touchy feely person but I like to give him a peck on his cheek once in awhile like I give all my kids. I’m so lost.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Of course it can be caused by mode of dress.

No.

Zehava

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 11:04 am
His hormones are raging and you are the only grown woman in his life that he’s allowed to touch and look at. I bet he’s confusing his general feelings with feelings for you. It’s really hard for boys this age when they’re being so guilt tripped and told they can’t look at women.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My ds doesn’t want me to tell anyone which I completely understand, but I told him that we’ll tell the therapist so she can help him. I’m not going to tell her straight out, but mention the obsessiveness and infatuation. He can tell her in his own time, but I need it addressed ASAP. Since I won’t be telling her, I can’t ask her other things about it, so I’m asking here what you think. What kind of boundaries should we keep if at all? I’m not a touchy feely person, so it’s not a problem in general but last night when he started breaking down because he felt lousy about himself, I wanted to hug him or at least give him a pat on his shoulder. I didn’t because I felt it was passing a boundary we should maybe keep. Was I wrong? Should we keep some sort of boundary? He’s afraid I’m going to feel and act differently towards him. I assured him I won’t, but when it comes to touch, I’m very hesitant. Like I said I’m not a touchy feely person but I like to give him a peck on his cheek once in awhile like I give all my kids. I’m so lost.

Imagine that you are comforting hugging your daughter that age, and act regular. Yes a hug is fine and good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children