Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How easy is it to learn PHP if you already know ASP?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 3:52 pm
My husband is a programmer and uses primarily ASP, Javascript, CSS, HTLM.

His current position has no prospects for progression but he is finding it impossible to find a new job with his current skill set.

He has considered Learning C#/ asp.net but says this would be too big of an undertaking on top of his current job (he has had a small amount of exposure to the Language but he works for a large company where many people have more experience in it so he doesn't get a chance to learn more.)

Would PHP be a better option to learn?

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 4:52 pm
Don't think php is much better of an option than c#. I really recommend c# / .net but if he doesn't feel up to it php is just as big of an adjustment if not more. At least with c# he can use the same tooling as asp such as visual studio so it can be more familiar.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 15 2021, 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:56 am
Thank you for your reply :-)

I do think there would be more opportunities in C# but DH was thinking that as PHP is a scripting language and PHP is an object oriented language, it would be easier and less in depth to learn.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:00 am
I do use PHP as scripting / procedural, but really it has a lot of object-oriented capabilities, and it holds me back that I never quite got OOP.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:05 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I do use PHP as scripting / procedural, but really it has a lot of object-oriented capabilities, and it holds me back that I never quite got OOP.

Thanks! Is PHP the main language you use? Have you ever used ASP?

Would you advise my DH to learn PHP or something else?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 8:08 am
Your dh should look up what coding languages they use at companies he would like to work for. And enroll in courses if it’s difficult alone.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Your dh should look up what coding languages they use at companies he would like to work for. And enroll in courses if it’s difficult alone.

That's not really practical because there are so many companies that use programmers, he hasn't really got a preference for one over the other and if he learns a new language it will be something that's widely used.

Dh was employed in his current role as a Javascript programmer. There are still plenty of opportunities out there for Javascript but they always seem to require a list of modern frameworks such as SASS/ LESS, React/ redux, node and Others. He is just starting to get a bit of experience in Angular.

Are these frameworks I've mentioned difficult to pick up? Maybe it would be better to focus on front end and study some of these?

e1234

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:00 am
I program in all of the above
I think php is more similar then c#

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 11:32 am
e1234 wrote:
I program in all of the above
I think php is more similar then c#

Thanks for this.

What about the Javascript frameworks? How easy are those to pick up for someone very experienced in Javascript?

Did you learn all those languages on a course or on the job? DH learned almost everything at work, so he's not used to the idea of studying something in his own time.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 2:38 pm
Programmer here. PHP has had a bad reputation for years in the industry, and is just not a great language IMO. I would only bother with it if interested in working on specific projects and legacy stuff.

Java is pretty much the standard for OOP and is widely used throughout the industry. If he wants to stay in front end development I recommend building on the skills he already has and learning modern frameworks like React and Angular. There's a good React class on Udemy.

Python is also super useful for all kinds of scripting and tools. I wouldn't make it a focus necessarily, but it's an appealing skill to have.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 2:36 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Programmer here. PHP has had a bad reputation for years in the industry, and is just not a great language IMO. I would only bother with it if interested in working on specific projects and legacy stuff.

Java is pretty much the standard for OOP and is widely used throughout the industry. If he wants to stay in front end development I recommend building on the skills he already has and learning modern frameworks like React and Angular. There's a good React class on Udemy.

Python is also super useful for all kinds of scripting and tools. I wouldn't make it a focus necessarily, but it's an appealing skill to have.

Thanks for your reply :-)

I hear what you're saying about PHP. I think DH was originally interested in it because when he started using ASP, PHP had similar popularity, but now there are almost no jobs in ASP while still plenty in PHP. This, and that he thinks it would be easier to learn in comparison to C# which he has got a bit of experience with.

He has had a small amount of experience with Java but said it was very annoying (whatever that means!)He doesn't relish the idea of studying Java, I think he'd go for C# over that.

Although he was empolyed as a Javascript programmer, he has ended up doing more back end (hence the use of ASP) and prefers back end, but if the modern Javascript frameworks would be more suitable to be learnt from home, he would go for that. He does currently use Angular. Thanks for the recommendation on the React class, he'll look that.

Do you know anything about SASS and LESS? They seem to be a popular requirement.

Thanks for the tip about Python. There do seem to be plenty of opportunities with that, some of them offering very high salaries in comparison to jobs centered around other languages.

e1234

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 3:47 am
Quote:

What about the Javascript frameworks? How easy are those to pick up for someone very experienced in Javascript?

Did you learn all those languages on a course or on the job? DH learned almost everything at work, so he's not used to the idea of studying something in his own time.

I learned all on the job - years ago learned some c++ and some visual basic and sql server.
Everything else on the job. Javascript frameworks are not hard.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 7:22 am
Where does he live? I might have a position for him.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Where does he live? I might have a position for him.

Where is the position? Wink

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where is the position? Wink

Downtown Brooklyn.

2gether

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:46 pm
If you are in Israel PHP is very common
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics