Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High school suspends 22 girls for ticktoc
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:32 pm
My daughters school suspended 22 girls who had ticktoc accounts. The girls had been warned multiple times not to have these accounts. That being said I feel that if so many girls have smartphones and these accounts then this is the norm of the school and they should make adjustments to what the new reality is and not suspend so many girls. In fairness the school has over 300 girls so 22 is less than 10%. Then again there are surely many more that have and weren't caught. Thoughts?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:35 pm
They were warned, they ignored the warning. It's a fair rule and fair consequence. That's my opinion. However, they should absolutely be having ongoing discussions with the students about technology and social media, not only rules. And by ongoing discussions, I don't mean saying that it's all assur and avoda zara... I mean real talk, acknowledging the struggle that adults have as well, and giving the students real reasons and real advice.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:38 pm
I have a friend who is a BT and changed to a MO frum high school in 11th grade. She had a Myspace at the time because she had been in a secular school. She was one of the only girls in the school who wore tights are CY etc. but the principal harrassed her about the Myspace. Today she is one of the only girls with no Facebook account so...

amother
Green

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughters school suspended 22 girls who had ticktoc accounts. The girls had been warned multiple times not to have these accounts. That being said I feel that if so many girls have smartphones and these accounts then this is the norm of the school and they should make adjustments to what the new reality is and not suspend so many girls. In fairness the school has over 300 girls so 22 is less than 10%. Then again there are surely many more that have and weren't caught. Thoughts?

The school did the right thing. They had been warned & ignored the warnings. They deserve the consequence.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:42 pm
There are 4 girls from my daughter's class that have tic tok. They are 13 years old. Some have Instagram.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:43 pm
If you’re bothered by this, you clearly don’t understand what tictok is and what the problem is. Let me tell you a bit about how my middle school students use it: they follow guys double or triple their age, send videos. (They told me not to worry, the video they took in bikinis was taken down). They send messages to these stars in public and count how many responses each girl gets. The stupid dances that make it impossible to teach is the least of the issue.

I say good for the school that they made a rule and are enforcing it.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:45 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
There are 4 girls from my daughter's class that have tic tok. They are 13 years old. Some have Instagram.

That is crazy. And scary.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:47 pm
Suspending girls in response to misbehavior is like trying to dry wet clothing by rinsing off the water.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Suspending girls in response to misbehavior is like trying to dry wet clothing by rinsing off the water.

So what is the school supposed to do?? This behavior should not be tolerated in school. They have a responsibility to the other students.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:52 pm

I think the point is to show they mean business about this rule.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:53 pm

I would agree if the misbehavior was an effort to avoid school work. That's not the case here. And this is something parents should be involved with.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:55 pm
What is tic tock?
Is it like tic toc toe?
Seriously, what is it?

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
If you’re bothered by this, you clearly don’t understand what tictok is and what the problem is. Let me tell you a bit about how my middle school students use it: they follow guys double or triple their age, send videos. (They told me not to worry, the video they took in bikinis was taken down). They send messages to these stars in public and count how many responses each girl gets. The stupid dances that make it impossible to teach is the least of the issue.

I say good for the school that they made a rule and are enforcing it.

Your students posted their videos in bikinis?? Are these frum girls or not?

Regarding the OP, I bet girls with ticktoc and rich parents/related to hanhala weren't suspended.

I don't know where this school is, but in Brooklyn BY high and middle schools, TONS of girls have ticktoc. Same with smartphones.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 8:59 pm
If you disagree with said school's policies, change schools.

It is detrimental to your dd's chinuch and hinders her growth when parents and school are not on the same page.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I would agree if the misbehavior was an effort to avoid school work. That's not the case here. And this is something parents should be involved with.

These girls are in high school this is their responsibility not their parents. As long as the school is clear with their rules and consistent, they have every right and should do something about the girls who ignore the rules.
When schools have rules that aren’t enforced the only ones who are punished are the girls who follow the rules.
The school is limited in how they can punish the girls. What else can they do.
Please parents do your children a favor and send them to schools where the school rules mesh with the chinuch in your home. While some high school children choose a different path than their parents I would venture to say that most of the 22 girls have parents who do not object to their children being on various forms of social media.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
These girls are in high school this is their responsibility not their parents. As long as the school is clear with their rules and consistent, they have every right and should do something about the girls who ignore the rules.
When schools have rules that aren’t enforced the only ones who are punished are the girls who follow the rules.
The school is limited in how they can punish the girls. What else can they do.
Please parents do your children a favor and send them to schools where the school rules mesh with the chinuch in your home. While some high school children choose a different path than their parents I would venture to say that most of the 22 girls have parents who do not object to their children being on various forms of social media.

I don't think you understood my post.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:07 pm
If parents allow their teens to have smartphones, social media, tic toc... they can't be upset if their kids get suspended over this. And they shouldn't be sending to schools that don't allow it.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:09 pm
What is tictok?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
If parents allow their teens to have smartphones, social media, tic toc... they can't be upset if their kids get suspended over this. And they shouldn't be sending to schools that don't allow it.

People don't choose which schools to send their kids to. The schools select the students, and because school is mandatory, parents have no choice but to send to whatever school accepts.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 9:16 pm
I'm so happy to see most replies here. I saw the title and rolled my eyes thinking here goes everyone cursing out schools.
The schools are entitled to make their rules. And you're entitled to send to a school that may not have these rules. If you're too good for the more lenient schools, then go by the rule of the school you chose!!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics