Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help with my pesach menu
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:29 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Hi for shabbos lunch on pesach I always make lamb stew. It is a treat we look forward to and a welcome change from all the beef we have at the other seudos. (it is also simpler than yapchik because no grating)

also mazel tov on your baby!! and I appreciated your disclaimer btw Wink and the fact you knew it was necessary made me smile Very Happy hatzlacha I'm sure you will have a beautiful pesach with your beautiful family!

Lol
Amen
And thank you!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:38 pm
My question is not about pesach, but I am trying to make my Thursday nights and Fridays less hectic. So do you think the tip with the mason jar and the paper towel, would work for a regular potato kugel batter that you just want to make in advance for regular potato kugel that you want to cook in the oven 2 days later. Meaning prep the batter on Wednesday, to put in the oven on Friday for the usual 2 hours. Or would this only work in a crockpot situation/overnight kugel? Also if I don't have a mason jar, any other alternatives that I can use?

juggling

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:50 pm
You didn't specify if you do gebrochts. I make pesach cholent with matza farfel in place of the beans/barley. I also put kneidlach in the cholent because I love how they taste in cholent. Otherwise pretty much the same as year-round cholent. Very tasty!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My question is not about pesach, but I am trying to make my Thursday nights and Fridays less hectic. So do you think the tip with the mason jar and the paper towel, would work for a regular potato kugel batter that you just want to make in advance for regular potato kugel that you want to cook in the oven 2 days later. Meaning prep the batter on Wednesday, to put in the oven on Friday for the usual 2 hours. Or would this only work in a crockpot situation/overnight kugel? Also if I don't have a mason jar, any other alternatives that I can use?

Yes!! It works great for kugel! I use a large plastic container that holds the whole batter.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 1:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes!! It works great for kugel! I use a large plastic container that holds the whole batter.

Thanks, I might try this tonight.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 3:46 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Youve done this with chicken bottoms? And they tasted fresh? Ive always heard you can never freeze cooked chicken lol im in disbelief

Ugh chicken is the one thing that only tastes right when it’s freshly made.

EPL

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 8:02 pm
I have made a pretty good cholent on Pesach. I use raw almonds in lieu of beans, make sure you soak them over night before putting into Cholent pot. I use potatoes, meat, marrow bones, and
quinoa. I then make a kishka with grated potatoes, potato starch, and some oil or fat, salt and pepper. Season with salt, garlic, and paprika. This is a very hearty cholent that's almost a complete meal. Good luck!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 12 2020, 11:58 pm
Brush bottom of crockpot with oil, top with parchment paper so it sticks to the oil. Place a layer of meat bones, then top with meat. Add grated onion, then lots of grated potato, and finish off with a generous amount of salt. No water. Turn to crockpot to low and cook from Friday afternoon until shabbos afternoon. Delicious!

This recipe is delish and can be prepped in advance.

Kugel layer:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
4 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 T salt

Cholent layer:

3 sliced Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 T oil
1 lb flanken
1 c boiling water

To prepare kugel layer, shred potatoes and onion in food processor. Add oil, salt and mix. Place half the mixture in bottom of crockpot.

Place sliced potatoes on top of kugel mixture. Add sauteed onions on top, then lay meat. Pour remaining kugel layer on top. Put boiling water on top.

Turn crock pot to low and simmer.

Thanks for both recipes! Which would you recommend I make this year? We usually use beef cheek in chollent since it is very soft and moist. Could I use it in the 2 recipes above?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:47 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Brush bottom of crockpot with oil, top with parchment paper so it sticks to the oil. Place a layer of meat bones, then top with meat. Add grated onion, then lots of grated potato, and finish off with a generous amount of salt. No water. Turn to crockpot to low and cook from Friday afternoon until shabbos afternoon. Delicious!

This recipe is delish and can be prepped in advance.

Kugel layer:

6 Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion
4 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 T salt

Cholent layer:

3 sliced Yukon gold potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed in 2 T oil
1 lb flanken
1 c boiling water

To prepare kugel layer, shred potatoes and onion in food processor. Add oil, salt and mix. Place half the mixture in bottom of crockpot.

Place sliced potatoes on top of kugel mixture. Add sauteed onions on top, then lay meat. Pour remaining kugel layer on top. Put boiling water on top.

Turn crock pot to low and simmer.

Thanks for both recipes! Which would you recommend I make this year? We usually use beef cheek in chollent since it is very soft and moist. Could I use it in the 2 recipes above?

Yes you can use cheek beef. Smile
We usually make both every year. Smile They are both delicious. The first one is easier to make but needs to be prepared fresh so when we make it on YT we all sit down and take terns hand grating. The second one can be prepped in advance with a food processer and refrigerated in a way that it doesn't turn brown.
For 3 day YT this year I will probably go for the second since I can prepare the batter ahead of time. For shabbos hagadol I will probably make the first one.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 7:55 am
I hardly ever have fresh potato kugel all year. I work full time so I cook in bulk and make many pot kugels every few weeks and freeze after baking 2 hours. I rewarm with a little water, covered for an hour uncovered for another hour and tastes amazing!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
We usually make both every year. Smile They are both delicious. The first one is easier to make but needs to be prepared fresh so when we make it on YT we all sit down and take terns hand grating. The second one can be prepped in advance with a food processer and refrigerated in a way that it doesn't turn brown.
For 3 day YT this year I will probably go for the second since I can prepare the batter ahead of time. For shabbos hagadol I will probably make the first one.

Ra mom, I'm confused. Is it 2 Recipes or 1?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ra mom, I'm confused. Is it 2 Recipes or 1?

2 different recipes. I responded to 2 different requests.
1 easy delicious yapsuk recipe.
1 delicious potato kugel cholent recipe that can have elements prepared in advance.

Lita

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 12:11 pm
Odelya, can you please post your lamb stew recipe? Ty!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 1:09 pm
Super easy pesach deserts, anyone?

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 10:57 pm
sky wrote:
I’m not sure what I’ll make sorry - just figured it will be Apple kugel of some type. I can’t believe we are discussing pesach. Help!

haha ok yes help indeed! Smile I have an green apple kugel recipe I really like that I always make but I was curious to hear what you make--since we were on the subject already I figured I'd ask Wink

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:39 pm
Lita wrote:
Odelya, can you please post your lamb stew recipe? Ty!

sure! it's not a real recipe though-- more like my following the general instructions my mother gave me over the phone-- but I'll try! I use a really big pot so if you aren't cooking for a crowd you can scale it down accordingly.

Ingredients:

extra virgin olive oil
1 or 2 large onions, peeled and diced (into larger dice)
Lamb shanks and necks (this is what my mother uses but for the past few years I've only found lamb
shanks, so I just use those) I use about 5lbs or so.
lots of potatoes-- maybe around 15-20? (russet or whatever you have) peeled and halved or cut into
large chunks
several large carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces (I like to cut slightly diagonally)
a couple dollops of tomato paste
1 green pepper cored and cut into large pieces
salt
pepper
garlic powder
paprika
onion powder?
dried dill
maybe some dried parsley?

Saute onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes, then add lamb and sprinkle with pepper to taste and generously with garlic powder and paprika, and some onion powder if you have it. Brown lamb in olive oil in large pot for a few minutes, moving around to try to brown all the pieces. Then add water to cover plus a few inches, then add potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. I basically keep adding potatoes till the pot is mostly full, with the water just covering everything. Then I lower to simmer and add salt (around 2 tablespoons?) and maybe a little more pepper and paprika, tomato paste, and maybe a little dried parsley. Right before shabbos I add the green pepper chunks and a generous amount of (good quality) dried dill. And I put the pot on my shiny Pesach blech on a not too low flame, so it stays at a very low simmer. (I don't have a pesach crockpot but you could definitely use one; but you would need to scale it down unless it's a really huge crockpot. It also works on an Israeli electric plata-- bring it to boil on stove first then transfer to plata.) Enjoy Smile

Lita

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:01 am
Thank you!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:43 pm
Literally easiest recipe. Meatzah balls. Balls of ground dark chicken. Form with wet hands and drop into boiling soup. Simmer til serving. We aren’t even making matzah balls for the carb eaters this year. They’re so good!

Laiya

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 7:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Minute Steak: toss 1/2 diced onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves and 5 sliced Yukon gold potatoes with a drop of oil and season with paprika, black pepper & 2 teaspoons salt. Lay minute steaks on top. Smear with some more oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with paprika. Top with the other 1/2 of the onion cut into rings.
Cover and bake at 200 for 8 hours.

This looks good! How many pounds of meat do you use?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 7:55 pm
Laiya wrote:
This looks good! How many pounds of meat do you use?

About 2.5 lbs
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics