Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Soon By You
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Hmm. I'm really not into business. Anything else? Like similar to SBY or shtisel?

I think you can enjoy it even without being business minded. There's a lot of drama and its very quick moving. Extremely professional (you won't like the commercials, though, lol)
I watch some other biz shows that you probably won't enjoy if you don't like biz. Aside from SBY which somehow sucked me in, I don't really do entertainment movies.
You may like Menashe if you liked Shtisel. I didn't see either one, but from hearing about them they sound similar.
I know Menashe's producer, so I got to know a bit about the show as well. It's based on a true story, got a lot of significant secular awards. It does tap into some stereotypes you may not appreciate seeing, but overall I think you'll enjoy it.
The producer also did some very touching documentaries, but I don't know if you go for these things.
I think Young Sheldon is pretty good and clean.
Aish.com has a lot of comedy samplings under their JTube section. See if anything there strikes you as fun, and then you can search for more.
Let us know what works for you!
Enjoy!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I think you can enjoy it even without being business minded. There's a lot of drama and its very quick moving. Extremely professional (you won't like the commercials, though, lol)
I watch some other biz shows that you probably won't enjoy if you don't like biz. Aside from SBY which somehow sucked me in, I don't really do entertainment movies.
You may like Menashe if you liked Shtisel. I didn't see either one, but from hearing about them they sound similar.
I know Menashe's producer, so I got to know a bit about the show as well. It's based on a true story, got a lot of significant secular awards. It does tap into some stereotypes you may not appreciate seeing, but overall I think you'll enjoy it.
The producer also did some very touching documentaries, but I don't know if you go for these things.
I think Young Sheldon is pretty good and clean.
Aish.com has a lot of comedy samplings under their JTube section. See if anything there strikes you as fun, and then you can search for more.
Let us know what works for you!
Enjoy!

Thanks!
Maybe I will check out shark tank.
I actually watched Menashe and did not like it too much. I found it very slow moving and some of the time I wasnt sure exactly what was going on. I dont really get all the positive reviews, but to each his own. Maybe I'll check out some of the other ones you mentioned, thank you!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 10:37 pm
Right?!? I knew she wasn't Jewish, but up until this episode I felt she was so yeshivish. Not even RWMO. This episode her top is not yeshivish looking Wink

I also did a double take when I found out she wasn't jewish. She seemed so authentic! Also, she plays in other frum movies (the all female ones which are shown on chol hamoed.) It seems like a lot of the same actresses appear in the frum movies over and over.
Leah Gotfried also appears in a few of those movies.

Ravenclaw

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:15 pm
I am enjoying SBY, though some episodes are slower than others. The finale of season one was my favorite.
As for the last episode... as of now I am okay with it, because they aren’t showing these characters in relationships. Acknowledging that gay people exist and that they struggle is a fact. But if they showcase them in gay relationships, that’s my red line, because that shouldn’t be coming from a frum show.
As for Jacob, I liked him at first, but by now he seems like he is trying too hard and is ironically coming across as controlling as a result. I hope that is deliberate and they will address it.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 1:59 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I am enjoying SBY, though some episodes are slower than others. The finale of season one was my favorite.
As for the last episode... as of now I am okay with it, because they aren’t showing these characters in relationships. Acknowledging that gay people exist and that they struggle is a fact. But if they showcase them in gay relationships, that’s my red line, because that shouldn’t be coming from a frum show.
As for Jacob, I liked him at first, but by now he seems like he is trying too hard and is ironically coming across as controlling as a result. I hope that is deliberate and they will address it.

Everything she said!

flowers12345

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 2:03 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's deliberate, isn't that what Z was trying to talk to Noa about?
And yeah he was being sooo condescending and uchh

Last edited by flowers12345 on Fri, Feb 14 2020, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 2:05 pm
flowers12345 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's deliberate, isn't that what Z was trying to talk to Noa about?

No! Z is upset that Noa is with someone else. He's forever running after her.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 4:51 pm
flowers12345 wrote:
And yeah he was being sooo condescending and uchh

That’s what I thought as well...I’m noticing a lot of “red flags” and I think that’s what Z noticed too. I think that scene is going to foreshadow more controlling behavior.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 10:51 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:

yeah it seems very deliberate that they made him get creepy-- ironically being controlling while playing the super-feminist-- but hey Noa really likes him so who knows? Wink

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Feb 15 2020, 11:20 pm
Noa is being totally blinded. Scary actually. She puts up these major defenses around men, but she lowered her guard with Jacob because he wasn't scared off by her feminist attitude, which she appreciated. Now that her defenses are down, she isn't seeing jacob for the creep that he is
Z is totally jealous, but I think he also is worried about Noa falling for a jerk like Jacob.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:29 am
What do you see creepy about Jacob?
Truth is, I couldnt hear a word he said in this last episode besides for not owning her.
His back was to me most of the time, and he spoke kinda low.
I liked how he acted at the organ donor organization.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 1:09 am
At the pizza shop when Jacob tells Sara J that she should be proud of the way she smells because she is a functioning human being, because some women pretend to always smell good- just gross. Ugh.
In the museum, where Noa sees joy, he sees pain. He says it in such a dramatic sinister way. And he says, "oftentimes things that seem pleasing to the eye often have sinister undertones". I feel like that he is alluding to himself.
I just watched it again and realized that the reason Z Takes Kayla to the art gallery is because he wants to spy on Noa and Jacob. Don't know how I missed that the first time around.
On another note, I found the part where David feeds Sara F. The ice cream cone a bit too intimate for my comfort level. Come to think of it, in the previous episode, they had them staring into each others eyes in the back of a taxi for a long time. Kind of weird.

sequoia

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:03 am
Does anyone in which episode (in season 1) Ben was faced with a dilemma of working on shabbos or something?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:50 am
Third

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:53 am
Truth is, I couldnt hear a word he said in this last episode besides for not owning her.

At the museum he kept putting down Noa when she tried to interpret the painting saying things like “you’ll have to try harder next time.” He was very condescending and made it clear that only his opinion counted.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:01 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
At the museum he kept putting down Noa when she tried to interpret the painting saying things like “you’ll have to try harder next time.” He was very condescending and made it clear that only his opinion counted.

And then he was like, “Why are you agreeing with me? Aren’t you a feminist? You shouldn’t just agree.”

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:45 am
I just caught up in season two, I didn’t know know they produced more episodes so thanks!

Jacob is so obnoxious. Ugh. It looks like he is not feminist at all but is smart and figured out how to get to Noa from that encounter in the elevator. If not outright manipulative, he definitely comes off as unkind.

Kayla is just sad. How does she not realize that Z has no romantic interest in her. The awkward love between David and Sarah also makes me 🙈. Still, it’s a fun watch, cringefulness and all. Wish they can figure out how to incorporate their sponsors without sounding like a line up of advertorials. The JQY segment was a little forced, but they did it well by having the brother out with girl. If it would have been a guy, that would be a major red line.

Leah Gottlieb is very talented and I just get a kick out of what a frum woman can do. I love filmography and producing a movie is one of my (many) bucket list items.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:51 pm

at the pizza shop when Z was like I'm meeting Kayla, Noa was like oh ok and starts getting up to leave, and Jacob was like no we'll sit here and she's like oh OK. I thought that was the most clear example of him being controlling. Other stuff was more condescending and creepy.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Those of you who have watched Soon By You and followed the episodes, what do you think of the most recent episode just released?

Another line that really irked me:
At the end, when David and Sara are talking about why Sara kept Joey's gayness a secret, he says, in a hurt, outraged tone, "What?? So I'm a rabbi, so you think that should dictate how I feel about things???"
Like, what??? Yes, as a rabbi you should feel and know that gay behavior is ossur. Torah should dictate how we feel about things!!
Of course, just being gay doesn't mean you are engaging in gay behavior, but I think the message was that just because he is a rabbi doenst mean he is old fashioned and intolerant...pretty bad insinuation, imo.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:38 pm
Leah or Jessica, if you happen to be reading this (hope you do), know that we love, love the show. But please keep it clean and free from controversy that would make it impossible for us to enjoy with our families. Thanks !
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics