Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Traveling, car seat question

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:26 am
Hey Imas, I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure this one out:

I'm going to be flying from Israel to the States, where I'll be for about five or six weeks. During that time I'll be renting a car and driving a lot. I have the car safety situation figured out for everyone but my two year old. Were I in the States, I'd buy the Costco Scenera Next. Nice, light, small, cheap and easy. But Amazon won't deliver it to Israel and though I can buy it here and just bring it with me (it's still a relatively cheap seat, even by Israeli prices) but it's significantly more than it costs in the States. I could bring my current seat but it's big and bulky and heavy. I could rent a seat from the car rental company, but rentals aren't always reliable, and a rental for that long is expensive.

To complicate things further, I might have to do two different rentals in different locations.

I'm also debating if I want a car seat for on the flights. If I do, I'd just buy that Cosco seat in Israel (everything I've found about it says it fits in an airplane seat). But I've heard it hasn't got much padding and some kids don't find it comfortable for a long flight. I feel under pressure because if I bring it onboard, my toddler HAS to use it, there's no place for me to put it otherwise. I've flown with young kids a lot and never used a car seat on board before. However I do like the idea of my toddler being buckled up in a car seat because I'll be in the plane alone with four kids.

So, can anyone come up with an idea I haven't thought of yet?

simcha2

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:35 am
We've traveled internationally a lot. I'm a big believer in putting a toddler in a car seat for the flight. They can open the plane seat belt very easily and if you are distracted or sleeping (which you might be on an overnight) they could be off wandering. The downside is the tray doesn't rest correctly.

We have the cosco, it fits great. It also fits into our stroller so doesn't have to be carried through the airport.

If the price difference isn't crazy I would buy it in Israel and use it on the plane.

If you don't want it on the plane, can you have someone meet you at the airport with one?

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:48 am
simcha2 wrote:
We've traveled internationally a lot. I'm a beg believer in putting a toddler in a car seat fleer the flight. They can open the plane seat belt very easily and if you are distracted or sleeping (which you might be on an overnight) they could be off wandering. The downside is the tray doesn't rest correctly.

We have the cosco, it fits great. It also fits into our stroller so doesn't have to be carried through the airport.

If the price difference isn't crazy I would buy it in Israel and use it on the plane.

If you don't want it on the plane, can you have someone meet you at the airport with one?

Thank you so much for your advice, it's really appreciated!!
Unfortunately I won't be able to have anyone meet me but if you think it's good for the flight then year I might as well buy it here. Also from what I can tell I think I can just stick the Cosco in my stroller.

simcha2

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:16 am
Teomima wrote:
Thank you so much for your advice, it's really appreciated!!
Unfortunately I won't be able to have anyone meet me but if you think it's good for the flight then year I might as well buy it here. Also from what I can tell I think I can just stick the Cosco in my stroller.

As I said, the main advantage for me is having the toddler securely strapped in. The main disadvantage is the tray.

The other option (which certainly isn't cheaper) is to check the car seat (so you'll have it for the car rental) and use a CARES on the plane. Though I think a 2.5 year old could get out of it if they tried.

My kid slept fine in the cosco, the one thing she didn't like were the straps, so we got strap covers to make them softer.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:18 am
I travel a lot. I have a cosco for this reason. We stick it into the stroller on the airport and strap it down.

Toddler sleeps so much better in it during the flight.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:38 am
I have traveled a lot with babies and toddlers. I always take my car seat and check it in with my luggage.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:46 am
We used it for a flight to/from Israel for my 2 year old. She didn’t sleep but she doesn’t sleep in cars either. It’s the best car seat for that age!

Teomima

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:10 am
simcha2 wrote:
As I said, the main advantage for me is having the toddler securely strapped in. The main disadvantage is the tray.

The other option (which certainly isn't cheaper) is to check the car seat (so you'll have it for the car rental) and use a CARES on the plane. Though I think a 2.5 year old could get out of it if they tried.

My kid slept fine in the cosco, the one thing she didn't like were the straps, so we got strap covers to make them softer.

This is something I was also wondering about. My sister has a CARES harness I could borrow. If I do that though I'm still stuck with the question of do I rely on a rental car seat or buy one in Israel and check it through.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 8:27 am
Kids in a car seat on the plane is the best and safest thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics