Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Aliexpress orders/Coronavirus

sima

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:50 am
Hi,

if you've ordered something recently, are you wary now of receiving the package with this new outbreak. The question really is, if and how long the virus could survive? I've read a few things online that say it is OK. Thoughts..........

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:51 am
Oh boy didn't even think of that!

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 11:51 am
See https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru......html

CDC wrote:
Q: Am I at risk for novel coronavirus from a package or products shipping from China?

There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS and SARS). 2019-nCoV is more genetically related to SARS than MERS, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS and MERS, we can use the information from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus website as it becomes available.

Just realize that if the virus was so hot it could transferred by droplets on items shipped for days in a box that everyone in the world would probably be infected by now.

salt

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 1:53 am
Just bumping this question up.
Has anyone received any items from Aliexpress in the last few weeks, or have they cancelled their deliveries?
I ordered a couple of items about a month ago. Their deadline date for arrival hasn't been reached yet, but I'm wondering if I can expect to receive it.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 3:59 am
salt wrote:
Just bumping this question up.
Has anyone received any items from Aliexpress in the last few weeks, or have they cancelled their deliveries?
I ordered a couple of items about a month ago. Their deadline date for arrival hasn't been reached yet, but I'm wondering if I can expect to receive it.

We cancelled an order recently because after two weeks, it still hadn't shipped. It's for my kids' Purim costumes and I got nervous it wouldn't arrive in time. So I found quicker but slightly more expensive Amazon items.

salt

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 4:14 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
We cancelled an order recently because after two weeks, it still hadn't shipped. It's for my kids' Purim costumes and I got nervous it wouldn't arrive in time. So I found quicker but slightly more expensive Amazon items.

Mine seems to have departed country of origin by airline a good few weeks ago already. I don't understand how something can be in airline transit for a month, but I know that's how Aliexpress works.
Oh well, I'll wait till the final date and hope for the best, if not I'll try for a refund.

Thanks.

Cg1576

Post Tue, Feb 11 2020, 9:44 am
If you follow swaddlebee on Instagram , she posted that her factory is in China. She posted a conversation with her factory workers. They said nothing can be worked on because they aren't allowed to leave their houses. 1 person is allowed to go out every 2-3 days to get food and that's it!

salt

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 5:20 am
OK my package arrived. Now I'm afraid to pick it up from the post office...
Confused

4g01o

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:59 am
You'll be fine. The risk of you getting the virus through a package are soooo slim. We have to live our lives. We're more likely to die from the flu or a car accident c.v then catch coronovirus through a package.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:31 am
salt wrote:
OK my package arrived. Now I'm afraid to pick it up from the post office...
Confused

If you could get the virus from a package that has been sitting on a boat for 3 weeks then the US would close its borders to packages from China.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:39 am
I've bought things from Aliexpress before, and some of the packages smelled so badly of chemicals that I had to throw them away. I assume that they get caught in Customs, and are fumigated to prevent diseases, vermin, and insects from coming in.

If I were you, I would wait another month or so to see if they find out just how transmissible this is, and how long it will survive without a host. Viruses are generally very fragile compared to other pathogens.

HIV can only survive on a surface for 20 minutes. Hepatitis C can survive for up to 6 months! Surprised

Sometimes I think that knowing too much about biology is a bad thing, if you're the type to worry.

Play it safe, and at the same time keep repeating to yourself "Hashem is in charge, Hashem is in charge."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics