Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you love your OOT community? Tell me about it!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Cleveland!

Do you live there? I've heard Cleveland is getting so swamped and it's almost impossible to find jobs there now.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:44 am
I LOVE Rochester!! ❤️

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:44 am
Orlando FL. No girls high school yet but it’s a growing community so IYH soon!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you live there? I've heard Cleveland is getting so swamped and it's almost impossible to find jobs there now.

It is getting swamped but our schools are growing and are always looking for teachers

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
It is getting swamped but our schools are growing and are always looking for teachers

How about housing? Is it hard to find a house in the frum community?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Will you send your boys to yeshiva in Cincinnati?

I only have one boy left at home by next year, and he's only in first now so we're definitely not thinking about what yeshiva would be right for him yet! I wouldn't rule it out at all though. Feel free to pm me about who is starting it and the clientele interested in going.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I live in Cleveland . If you post under your screenname I will pm you . Some jobs are swamped . The schools are desperate for teachers and there is a big need for babysitters/ playgroup morahs.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How about housing? Is it hard to find a house in the frum community?

No- unless you are picky about finding on a happening block . There are plenty of less popular streets in the frum neighborhood with houses for sale . We bought 2 years ago for $90,000 in Cleveland Heights . (We had to put in another 10-15 K on repairs).

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:20 am
I know it’s not so OOT but what about Passaic? It has an OOT feel, plenty of amazing chinuch opportunities, and starter homes around 350-400k...

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:20 am
not sure what you mean by politics? If politics are an issue for you I would look very very closely in to whatever community you move to. I live in OOT community.

The regular people are lovely but my dh and I have been very hurt by the "rabbanim" and we aren't the only ones. These rabbanim can be very nice if you aren't involved in politics. I feel like many people love or hate the shul rabbi while others just do their own thing.

I still ask one of them my niddah questions and have had no problem with him but my dh won't go near him. I just compartmentalize more. He was hurtful in thsi area, I won't go to him for life guidance but I can trust him to tell me if my bedikah is clean or not.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:22 am
Detroit!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I live in Cleveland . If you post under your screenname I will pm you . Some jobs are swamped . The schools are desperate for teachers and there is a big need for babysitters/ playgroup morahs.

I love in Cleveland Heights. I want to respond to this post and some others, probably from other amothers.

Re. Chinuch. The schools do not need so many more rebbeim. The growth is at a rate of about one rebbi per year (splitting a grade). They are very very selective of who they hire as a rebbi, bH! But that means that several kollelmen might sub and give model lessons, etc. And one hired.

Re. Morahs, they are a dime a dozen.

What the schools desperately need are chol teachers with minimum of bachelor degree who will work in the afternoon.

The schools are growing by leaps and bounds, but that will stop soon. I don't know about HAC 'S plan, and maybe they can expand more because they bought tons of land and Can build, but YDT'S new building doesn't have room for

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:40 am
More than two parallel classes, which they already have.
Yes, bigger classrooms, but how many kids do you want in the class?
The classes in the lower grade already have 20+ per class.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:41 am
They is a need for babysitters, especially afternoon, in CH, but not playgroup, IMO
I don't know about UH

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are looking to move to an OOT community with:
-great elementary school, girls' HS and if possible boys' yeshiva (for serious learning type boys)
-stable, low-politics shul with Rav & Rebbetzin whom people respect
-affordable housing (under 400k)

We are a morah and rebbe with 5+ years of experience, so would need to be somewhere with job openings for us. Fine with a mix of students, but the hashkafa of the school should be OOT yeshivish (not Lakewood yeshivish).

Do you live in a place like this? Tell me about it!

Houston, TX, if you don't mind being that far away from the east coast Smile
-Wonderful preschool and elementary school. Girls high school is good, about 30 girls. The community is growing from the bottom up, meaning people move in with small children, so the infrastructure is the same. I'd imagine that in 5 years the girls high school will be bigger.
Just started a boys yeshivah this year with 4 boys, I don't know so much about it, not applicable to me yet, but sounds like people are happy with it. Don't know the type.
-Stable shul, wonderful rav and rebbetzin, just did renovations due to community's growth and it's big and beautiful
-Amazing affordable housing (it's Texas, everything is big)
-If you'd want jobs in the elementary school as morah and rebbi, the school would be thrilled to have you!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:07 am
Kingston PA

Odelyah

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Waterbury has a boys' yeshiva like I'm describing? For serious boys who want to learn?

Yes Yesodei Hatorah in Naugatuck. They are very selective about who they accept.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:19 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I LOVE Rochester!! ❤️

Me too, but OP wants a non-Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:15 pm
I'd suggest looking into Houston, Phoenix, and Denver. All are established OOT communities with the religious level and mix you're looking for, as well as affordable housing options within your budget. There are schooling options for both boys and girls from K-12 that are not CC (I would have included Dallas, but their boys high school is CC). No community will be perfect, but if you can find positions for you and DH in one of these places, I'd definitely go to check it out and try to make it work.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 12:44 pm
Detroit has a Yeshiva Gedolah that is affiliated with Mir. I love this community.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating