Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Ideas for simple homemade MM
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:09 pm
Anyone have any recommendations for a simple nicely packaged MM? I have to make a lot so I’m not too crazy about baking. I was thinking maybe yogurt with granola or soup and croutons but I don’t know how to package nicely plus how I can assemble before hand.

I live oot, so if you have any links to specific containers where I could order online, that would be great! Also, where can I order inexpensive custom stickers? Thank you!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:12 pm
Love both of those ideas, I would do it in Mason jars n put it in your fridge the night before.
Or you can do cut up veggies with ranch.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:26 pm
I have done soup with roll/croutons and actually doing again this year.
Last year I did kugel and grape juice
I have done rolls/baguettes and dips

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:48 pm
I do rolls and dips every year. I ususally make the dips too, but this year I think I'm going to buy sabra chummus singles and put some olives into a container to cut down on even more prep time, especially since dips cant be made too far in advance. I put the rolls in clear self-seal cellophane bags. Put everything in craft paper boxes with some paper grass on the bottom, stick a label on it and done.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 2:48 pm
Following.

Any simple MM that can be made/prepared ahead of time? I’m due Purim time so I’d like to prepare within the next week. I can’t rely on fresh foods.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:32 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Following.

Any simple MM that can be made/prepared ahead of time? I’m due Purim time so I’d like to prepare within the next week. I can’t rely on fresh foods.

If your due then, your not mechuyov to send MM.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:36 pm
Huh? There's still a mitzvah to give 1...

Be careful that you're sending 2 foods, and not 1 food and 1 tafel item. Croutons that go in soup I wouldn't think is considered "choshuv" enough to count as the second food item.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:37 pm
A local school does a fundraiser purim time. You pay $5 per person you want to send shalach manos. They send one shalach manos to each person with the names of the people who are sending to them. For example, if 6 people send to mr. X, mr x gets a nice shalach manos with all 6 names.

We usually do that and then choose an additional one or 2 people to give to personally.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:51 pm
pringles wrote:
If your due then, your not mechuyov to send MM.

I know I’m not mechuyav. But if it’ll be enough before or after the baby and we’ll be home, I’ll want some MM to reciprocate.

trixx

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:54 pm
Following.

Biscotti or chocolate chip cookies with a drink

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:34 pm
Following.

Packaged cookies and a nice drink in a gift bag!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:10 pm
I’m planning on making 25 and then re-packaging if I need more

In a wine bag I’m putting a mini bottle of beer, a hamantash pre-pack, pistachio nuts, candies
I will sub a bottle of grape juice for those that I know can not have alcohol

Everything except the beer I got from amazon

I only give pre-packed stuff and I live OOT.

If I got home made stuff it would go to the garbage. Sorry but it’s the truth.

Also, I went on vista print and made personalized business cards to use as tags
I made them super modern/fancy
I will tape them on the outside of the bags

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:27 pm
I ordered elegant empty plastic juice bottles from Amazon and will fill them with homemade iced coffee. I got customized stickers from Vista Print to stick on, and will tie together with a coordinating chocolate bar. Pretty easy, looks classy, and cost is about $3/each.

The mishpacha had a recipe with soup in similar plastic bottles, customized labels and tied with breadsticks. Looked yumm.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 8:53 pm
Our ideas for simple MM that can be prepared ahead of time :
1. When life gives you lemons : plastic pitcher , small water bottle , sugar packets , plastic wrapped hamantash , 2 lemons added a day before
2. Have a very beary , beery , berry purim : package of chocolate bears, bottle or can of beer, package of strawberry looking candy and wrapped hamantash.
3. Fishes / Adar : can of tuna, pack of shells noodles , bottle of water , pack of jelly fishes and wrapped hamantash , all wrapped in net like plastic, like the one flowers are wrapped.
4. 5 oclock tea - british tea packets, british tea bisquits , small jar of preserve , pic of Buckingham palace with purim greeting on it

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:48 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I ordered elegant empty plastic juice bottles from Amazon and will fill them with homemade iced coffee. I got customized stickers from Vista Print to stick on, and will tie together with a coordinating chocolate bar. Pretty easy, looks classy, and cost is about $3/each.

The mishpacha had a recipe with soup in similar plastic bottles, customized labels and tied with breadsticks. Looked yumm.

Can you post a link?

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Can you post a link?

Sure. There's all different sizes and styles, but this is what I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

I printed gold labels from VistaPrint, but if you have a printer you can make something nice yourself.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Our ideas for simple MM that can be prepared ahead of time :
1. When life gives you lemons : plastic pitcher , small water bottle , sugar packets , plastic wrapped hamantash , 2 lemons added a day before
2. Have a very beary , beery , berry purim : package of chocolate bears, bottle or can of beer, package of strawberry looking candy and wrapped hamantash.
3. Fishes / Adar : can of tuna, pack of shells noodles , bottle of water , pack of jelly fishes and wrapped hamantash , all wrapped in net like plastic, like the one flowers are wrapped.
4. 5 oclock tea - british tea packets, british tea bisquits , small jar of preserve , pic of Buckingham palace with purim greeting on it

These are so creative!

I just want to reiterate what Hashem_Yaazor posted above about having two substantial minim. For example, in #1, the water doesn't count as a min, the sugar packets aren't a min, the lemons may very well not be a min (because you don't eat them on their own), and then you're left with a hamantash as your mishloach manos. Similarly in #4, the tea bags aren't a min, the preserves aren't a min (because they're only eaten together with something else) and you're left with only the tea biscuits. (In #3, the noodles and water don't count, but you should be good, at least if the portions of jelly fish or hamantash are big enough.)

sky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:25 am
I send Greek yogurts (2) with packaged granola. This year I found a nut mix on sale so giving that instead. I have a second fridge so for me it’s easy to do in advance. (I already bought the yogurts at a great sale). I just package in a cellophane bag with pretty ribbon and label and cute widen spoons because I don’t like spending on packaging.
Many years I’ll look out for which yogurts are in sale. One year gave a fancy chocolate yogurt with choc bar.

This link showed a nice way to package yogurt. https://betweencarpools.com/wa.....tion/

Another yogurt idea: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/...../#amp

Geulanow

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:42 am
If you're really in a rush, you can just give fruit. One of my favorite shaloch manos that I received was a banana and another fruit. One of my son's favorites was a small applesauce with a small candy. One of my daughter's
favorites was an ice cream cone prepared with ice cream with a cookie. The main thing is not to stress.

Boca00

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:59 pm
Boca00 wrote:

I should add as well, I'm not sure if the iced coffee counts as a second type of food. I am also making a cheeseboard mishloach manos so I will be yotzei with that. I ordered a wooden cheese board on Amazon, and iyH will put 2 types of nice cheeses, crackers/flatbreads, honey, almonds and grapes/dried mango. This is obviously more expensive so only giving 1 of these.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics