Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Arriving at night - need packable kosher breakfast food

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:20 am
Any advice?

There are 5 of us (DH and myself + 3 kids ages 10-16) landing in a European city at 10pm, probably staying at an airport hotel before driving off to our vacation spot (~2 hours away) the next morning, with a stop at a kosher market to stock up on food along the way.

I'm trying to figure out what to bring with us that I can give everyone for breakfast that first morning after arrival.

The small budget airport hotel does not have in-room refrigerators. Any ideas what I can pack? I don't even see anyplace nearby to pick up some milk (we are okay with non-CY).

Suggestions?

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:23 am
I'd get some filling Protein Bars or Kind Breakfast Bars.

bubbles

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:25 am
Oatmeal packets

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:26 am
Granola and protein bars
Fruit
Rice cake
Nuts
Bread/rolls
Dry cereal

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:53 am
Bake some big protein muffins, bring some dried fruit, oatmeal packets and something for coffee like granules and dried milk powder, and hot cocoa.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:53 am
Muffins

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 9:58 am
Dried milk powder and a container to mix it in, cereal.
Buy a packet and try it at home first to see if it will be consumed by your people.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 3:31 pm
Thanks everyone! Not sure the kids (or we) will want powdered milk... Dried fruit and nuts are fine for me... I saw little (airplane allowable) jars of Nutella that I bet the kids will like (hey, it's vacation). Maybe I can bring some matzah or crackers?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any advice?

There are 5 of us (DH and myself + 3 kids ages 10-16) landing in a European city at 10pm, probably staying at an airport hotel before driving off to our vacation spot (~2 hours away) the next morning, with a stop at a kosher market to stock up on food along the way.

I'm trying to figure out what to bring with us that I can give everyone for breakfast that first morning after arrival.

The small budget airport hotel does not have in-room refrigerators. Any ideas what I can pack? I don't even see anyplace nearby to pick up some milk (we are okay with non-CY).

Suggestions?

I may be wrong but outside of America I am not sure if any chalav stam milk is kosher.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:42 pm
Tuna, get some small packets of mayonnaise
Unopened bottle of peanut butter and jam (doesn't need fridge) or you can buy from any plac that serves breakfast small packets of jam
Individually packed rice cake or Melba toast

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:42 am
Bread and peanut butter

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I may be wrong but outside of America I am not sure if any chalav stam milk is kosher.

That is interesting. I was under the impression that EU milk was kosher. I have been told by many that plain yogurt with no fruit additives is kosher. Isn't that made from milk?

kakky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 5:35 am
I too think EU milk is kosher. You can check on-line re the country you will be in.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:17 am
Would you guys be okay with almond milk? They sell small boxes some flavored- vanilla/chocolate.
Why not go to your local grocery and buy individually wrapped danishes or muffins? That with almond milk or water should fill you up for a while. The almond milk you can’t take in your carry on but it’s okay in big suitcase.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 8:35 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Would you guys be okay with almond milk? They sell small boxes some flavored- vanilla/chocolate.
Why not go to your local grocery and buy individually wrapped danishes or muffins? That with almond milk or water should fill you up for a while. The almond milk you can’t take in your carry on but it’s okay in big suitcase.

We're only taking carry-on.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're only taking carry-on.

So bring along pastries, crackers and nuts and drink water.
Or you can prepare sandwiches and pack with an ice pack..

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:41 am
DrMom wrote:
That is interesting. I was under the impression that EU milk was kosher. I have been told by many that plain yogurt with no fruit additives is kosher. Isn't that made from milk?

Theres a few issues involved.

Growing up in England, the way I always understood it was that in America, Rav Moshe Feinstein had looked into the government supervision of milk and concluded that there was no realistic way that the cows milk could be adulterated with any other milk. Therefore he permitted consuming milk products that were not chalav yisrael. In Europe no such research was undertaken. Some people hold that the safety standards are comparable to those in America, therefore one can extend his ruling. Others hold that because the system was never fully investigated from a kashrut perspective, one has to hold that the milk is chalav akum and not permitted. (It is worth noting that Europe is not one country. Even with EU standards, there is still some variation from one country to the next.)

As a child I accepted what I was told and what we did. By the time I was old enough to question it, I was living in Israel, and it wasn't a pressing issue. So there may be some inaccuracy in what I quoted above.

Yoghurts and other milk products are a slightly different issue. As I understood it, the chemical components of different types of milk react differently to processing, and producing yogurt or butter from treif milk is actually much harder than cows milk. So there is a lot more room for leniency with milk products than with milk itself.

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:53 am
Elfrida wrote:
Theres a few issues involved.

Growing up in England, the way I always understood it was that in America, Rav Moshe Feinstein had looked into the government supervision of milk and concluded that there was no realistic way that the cows milk could be adulterated with any other milk. Therefore he permitted consuming milk products that were not chalav yisrael. In Europe no such research was undertaken. Some people hold that the safety standards are comparable to those in America, therefore one can extend his ruling. Others hold that because the system was never fully investigated from a kashrut perspective, one has to hold that the milk is chalav akum and not permitted. (It is worth noting that Europe is not one country. Even with EU standards, there is still some variation from one country to the next.)

As a child I accepted what I was told and what we did. By the time I was old enough to question it, I was living in Israel, and it wasn't a pressing issue. So there may be some inaccuracy in what I quoted above.

Yoghurts and other milk products are a slightly different issue. As I understood it, the chemical components of different types of milk react differently to processing, and producing yogurt or butter from treif milk is actually much harder than cows milk. So there is a lot more room for leniency with milk products than with milk itself.

Interesting! I was under the impression that EU milk is okay, but butter is not necessarily okay without a hecsher.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:01 am
I think the issue there might be additives 9r preservatives within the butter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics