Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mishpacha wedding serial

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:05 pm
Forget what it's called but is anyone else sooooo sick of it? I feel like it lost its plot wayyy back and now it's just dragging.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:07 pm
I missed a couple of weeks and didn’t feel like I missed anything. But looks like something just happened between Yocheved and Yalena so maybe we’re going somewhere now.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 6:23 pm
It's fascinating. I feel like the proverbial anthropologist on Mars as I read it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:09 pm
OMG is that the serial that is forever blabbing on and on about lace and gowns and literally has no plot to it at all?
I've always skimmed it whenever I get my hands on a family first and each time I do literally nothing changes- there is no story no details that interest me and it's dragging on and on like crazy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
OMG is that the serial that is forever blabbing on and on about lace and gowns and literally has no plot to it at all?
I've always skimmed it whenever I get my hands on a family first and each time I do literally nothing changes- there is no story no details that interest me and it's dragging on and on like crazy.

Yep! Exactly my thoughts

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:16 pm
LOL. I like the serial a lot. Yes there is a lot about gowns and lace but if you follow it there is a lot going on with the plot too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:18 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I missed a couple of weeks and didn’t feel like I missed anything. But looks like something just happened between Yocheved and Yalena so maybe we’re going somewhere now.

Yes
I think yocheved recognizes the kallahs gown as the one she designed and realizes only yelena cousins have sewn it. Therefore, she concludes that yelena is doing private work and on gowns she designed!
I happen to like the serial but it is taking just a bit too long...
I assume Shabbos sheva brachos will end up in a hotel and the big blow up will happen with yocheved and Mina as well.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:21 pm
I don't get the Mishpacha every week, so I'm not following exactly what's happening, but I have read most installments and I think the story is fascinating and so Important!
It's giving readers an inside glimpse on the current wedding situation, how peer pressure is so insidious and destructive, and how people fall into spending way beyond their means. This story is very relevant for a large part of the frum community who make crazy over the top wedding, yet go into hock doing it. Also, why wedding takkanos eventually fail, because everyone feels they need to be an exception. There is so much pain involved, in a time when there should be simcha. If fiction is supposed to about holding up a mirror so we can see this in an objective manner, this story is definitely doing that.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 7:22 pm
It does have a plot, just not a fast-moving linear one. Not sure how we seem to have fast-forwarded to the wedding though. I'm enjoying it overall but yes I'm wondering when we'll see more movement.

boysrus

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:37 pm
im reading it and enjoying it.
waiting to see where it goes.
the theme is very interesting... kudos to the author for tackling issues like this

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:11 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I don't get the Mishpacha every week, so I'm not following exactly what's happening, but I have read most installments and I think the story is fascinating and so Important!
It's giving readers an inside glimpse on the current wedding situation, how peer pressure is so insidious and destructive, and how people fall into spending way beyond their means. This story is very relevant for a large part of the frum community who make crazy over the top wedding, yet go into hock doing it. Also, why wedding takkanos eventually fail, because everyone feels they need to be an exception. There is so much pain involved, in a time when there should be simcha. If fiction is supposed to about holding up a mirror so we can see this in an objective manner, this story is definitely doing that.

Maybe everyone with certain social expectations.
I was talking to a friend whose daughter's chasuna is after Shavuos because before Pesach is out for various reasons and the halls they want that do takanos packages won't on Lag Ba'Omer because it's in such high demand. Both sets of parents are fully on the same page and the kids are fine with this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics