Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD constantly scratching "down there"
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:15 pm
My 11-year old daughter has been scratching "down there" for a while now. We saw the pediatrician several months ago, and she said there's no sign of anything wrong. She recommended some short baths with baking soda, encouraged maintaining good hygiene, and advised putting some Vaseline on the area overnight, wiping better, and making sure to completely empty after using the bathroom. My daughter did this for a while, but not only did nothing improve, it has gotten worse, to the point of constant, non-stop scratching. (She says it's discomfort, some wetness, but no itchiness, no burning). We went to the pediatrician again (saw a different doctor this time), and got the same answer as last time. There's nothing there! Urine was tested again and everything came back negative, B"H. She can't seem to control herself, even in public. It is all day, every day, and I am losing my mind! I just found a thread that discussed vaginal pinworms, and I will make an appointment to see the doctor, but I'm just wondering if anyone ever experienced anything like this. Maybe there is something else that I am unaware of that I should be mentioning to the doctor. Please, please help. This is causing me a great deal of stress.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:23 pm
Have her doctor swab her for yeast and bacterial vaginitis. It might be the cause of itching. It mimics uti symptoms and is very uncomfortable.

simcha2

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:28 pm
She is at the age when developmentally she could be having a lot of discharge (has she started her period yet? ). The constant wetness could be making her itchy. Has she tried prescribed pantiliners changed throughout the day?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:42 pm
My daughter recently had vaginal irritation and the doctor so the Dr did a throat culture and she had strep!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 11:45 pm
If you treat her for pinworm, you'll know pretty quickly if that is the cause.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:01 am
Op here. Thank you for these responses. She was swabbed for yeast and the like. Came back negative. Yes, I know that she does have discharge now that she's beginning to develop, but how bad can it be to make her do this NONSTOP?! And that doctor didn't think that that would be causing this degree of discomfort. She has not gotten her period yet and doesn't look like that will happen any time soon. She looks like she's 9. She tried pantyliners but they just irritated her more. Simcha2, what are "prescribed" pantyliners? I will try testing for pinworms, and now I know to test for strep too. I can't believe that Strep could be a cause!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:02 am
My DD has something pretty similar that turned out to be pinworms. One pill and it was over Bh.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:05 am
Can it simply be pubic hair that's beginning to grow?

simcha2

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here. Thank you for these responses. She was swabbed for yeast and the like. Came back negative. Yes, I know that she does have discharge now that she's beginning to develop, but how bad can it be to make her do this NONSTOP?! And that doctor didn't think that that would be causing this degree of discomfort. She has not gotten her period yet and doesn't look like that will happen any time soon. She looks like she's 9. She tried pantyliners but they just irritated her more. Simcha2, what are "prescribed" pantyliners? I will try testing for pinworms, and now I know to test for strep too. I can't believe that Strep could be a cause!

Sorry, just a mistype on my phone. It sometimes adds in weird words. (Btw, I used to have a lot of discharge at that age, it drove me nuts). Does she wear tights all the time? That can also be a problem as the skin can't "breathe".

Another thought, have you tried switching to a different laundry detergent? One without dyes and scent?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 2:23 am
OP, pinworm can and does happen in the v@gina in some girls. Did you or the doctor actually check for that? That could be extremely itchy.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:06 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Can it simply be pubic hair that's beginning to grow?

That was my thought too. I was itchy down there for ages (years) and then realized that when I brush the hair down there I'm hardly itchy at all.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:46 am
Change her underwear a lot!!
every time she goes to the bathroom. in the morning .in the night.in the middle of the day...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:01 am
Op again. Thank you all. I finally feel like I'm not alone in this! It's been causing so much stress. I will take all of these ideas to the doctor this afternoon. I actually just hope it's pinworms, so that we can treat it and be done with this. It's definitely not pubic hair. Regarding tights, she has to wear tights for school, but they are off the moment she steps through the door. I have her wear a nightshirt rather than pj pants for this reason as well. Let's see what happens later today...

Bubby6

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:34 am
Some ideas come to mind:
1. It has become a habit that she has to be reminded to constantly stop. My ds started a habit of squinting and doc said if I don't tell him not to do it, she will always do it. He stopped. Could be she does it unconsciously for attention. Then ignore!
2. Ok, it itches, do it in private, please.
3. Cut out sugar and white flour for 2 weeks and see what happens.
4. Check out pubic lice - the cure is to smother area with vaseline to suffocate.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op again. Thank you all. I finally feel like I'm not alone in this! It's been causing so much stress. I will take all of these ideas to the doctor this afternoon. I actually just hope it's pinworms, so that we can treat it and be done with this. It's definitely not pubic hair. Regarding tights, she has to wear tights for school, but they are off the moment she steps through the door. I have her wear a nightshirt rather than pj pants for this reason as well. Let's see what happens later today...

It itches BEFORE the hair grows. I remember as a kid I didnt know what hit me that it felt so itchy. And my DD had the same thing. Its the age.
As someone else mentioned, it can develop into a habit. Like my son has a itchy throat, and started with throat clearing. Now he does it non stop as a habit...
Just saying- if a rash, lice, pinworms, UTI, and yeast were ruled out.
Also, make sure her undies are cotton only.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:58 am
there was a young boy that was constantly touching himself down there and later they discovered he had a hernia. the parents felt bad for criticizing him, it had really been bothering him. I don't know if this is applicable for girls, just mentioning it.

Bubby6

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:18 pm
I dont think an inguinal hernia wld itch, probably wld hurt when she coughed, cried, bent etc. Check it out, docs do forget to check everything and a hernia there can happen on girls

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:54 pm
DD never wore nylon tights, because she was prone to getting UTIs. You can buy girl's tights that are 98% cotton, 2% spandex. Underwear should also be cotton, always (that goes for adults, too.)

frum violinist

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 5:33 pm
for sure check for pin worms.
please go to a nice frum obgyn.....
try a natural cream called gyomal- helpful sometimes girls dont produce enough estrogen. this is a natural cream that helps.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:58 pm
Start with the basics. Buy her new underwear, a size bigger, preferably boy shorts. And change laundry detergents and fabric softener.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics