Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Qustodio or Kaspersky safe kids internet filter

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:26 am
Does anyone here have Qustodio or Kaspersky? Is it good?

I want a filter for my desktop and laptop because the kids watch videos and play games on them when I allow them to (Sundays and Fridays). I am around and listen in to make sure everything is appropriate, but lately, they have sometimes been turning things on during the week without my permission. If I am not home, they might feel free to use the computer on their own despite my protests and I need it filtered. We had K9 but that doesn't work on the laptop anymore.

I do want to allow some youtube videos, but not all. Is that possible with this or with any filter?

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 10:48 am
Quatodio can send you emails listing hours online. Sites. And grouping by types of sites. I haven’t used their filtering.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 3:58 pm
I just downloaded kaspersky safe kids for this exact reason.
I found that youtube is either all or nothing so I blocked it completely.
What I like about kaspersky is that it filters for free, and if you want to be able to see reports of what the kids did you have to pay, but its not expensive. The other filters are much more expensive.

their site is slow, so looking at your dashboard is slow and annoying, but thats the only thing that I didnt like.

small bean

Post Thu, Feb 13 2020, 4:01 pm
I have qustudio and im.happy with it. I beleive you can filter YouTube but I havent tried.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:14 am
I don't have experience with kaspersky, but I can tell you that qustodio can easily be bypassed by a motivated middle schooler Sad and probably younger than that..

which is unfortunate because if not for that I think some of their features are very good, like (theoretically, if it wasn't being circumvented) showing you every URL of every webpage visited on the device.

the only youtube filtering is the (supposed) ability to lock youtube restricted mode on the device, or block youtube completely.

The Tag filters like netspark are the only ones I know of that have the ability to filter content within youtube at different levels or categories. They are also the only filters I know of that determined disgruntled teenagers can't remove.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:53 am
Odelyah wrote:
I don't have experience with kaspersky, but I can tell you that qustodio can easily be bypassed by a motivated middle schooler Sad and probably younger than that..

which is unfortunate because if not for that I think some of their features are very good, like (theoretically, if it wasn't being circumvented) showing you every URL of every webpage visited on the device.

the only youtube filtering is the (supposed) ability to lock youtube restricted mode on the device, or block youtube completely.

The Tag filters like netspark are the only ones I know of that have the ability to filter content within youtube at different levels or categories. They are also the only filters I know of that determined disgruntled teenagers can't remove.

Is qustodio ineffective in general or just for youtube filtering?

Aylat

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I am not home, they might feel free to use the computer on their own despite my protests

If you want them to use it only when you're home, password protect the computer with a password they don't know.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Is qustodio ineffective in general or just for youtube filtering?

ineffective in general because there are ways to completely bypass it unfortunately.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:34 am
Aylat wrote:
If you want them to use it only when you're home, password protect the computer with a password they don't know.

That doesn’t stop inappropriate stuff from coming up accidentally (which can happen easily)

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:34 am
Aylat wrote:

this is also really important (but not a substitute at all for a good filter)

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:24 am
Odelyah wrote:
ineffective in general because there are ways to completely bypass it unfortunately.

Gosh. Is this true for a phone and pc or just phone?
how is it done?

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Gosh. Is this true for a phone and pc or just phone?
how is it done?

not 100% sure how they did it but it was definitely on both a phone and pc. it may have something to do with starting in safe mode.

they also easily worked around the time restrictions (by changing the time on the device and then changing it back). and when I contacted qustodio about it they acknowledged it (a day or 2 later by email-- there was no way to contact a live human on the phone that I was aware of) and were unhelpful. certain issues like the time restriction issue might be avoided if the child has no admin access to settings at all on the device, but by the time I found that out it was too late to help in my situation. And I don't think that would make it impossible to bypass the filter completely but I'm not 100% sure.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:41 pm
Odelyah wrote:
not 100% sure how they did it but it was definitely on both a phone and pc. it may have something to do with starting in safe mode.

they also easily worked around the time restrictions (by changing the time on the device and then changing it back). and when I contacted qustodio about it they acknowledged it (a day or 2 later by email-- there was no way to contact a live human on the phone that I was aware of) and were unhelpful. certain issues like the time restriction issue might be avoided if the child has no admin access to settings at all on the device, but by the time I found that out it was too late to help in my situation. And I don't think that would make it impossible to bypass the filter completely but I'm not 100% sure.

thanks for these details, very upsetting!
which filter do you recommend?

Odelyah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
thanks for these details, very upsetting!
which filter do you recommend?

You're welcome-- believe me I know-- it was a huge shock and disappointment to say the least. I'm glad other people can hopefully learn from my experience and keep their children safer as a result b'ezH.

Overall my experience with Netspark (from TAG) has been positive. And they offer (I think 5?) different levels of youtube settings for those who want that. I doubt that it is foolproof though (except maybe on the strictest setting which I believe only allows specific Jewish content--not sure.) Personally I recommend blocking youtube completely as long as you can get away with it (ideally forever Hiding). There are much better ways to show videos to your kids. For example, Chabad.org has some very cute ones and my kids really love watching Jewish cooking videos (on Chabad.org, kosher.com and others) that can be watched via a safer-than-youtube whitelisted Jewish website).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 1:51 pm
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should go to tag and get netspark. My kids watch Berenstain Bears and curious george and Pippi Longstocking on Sundays, so I do want to allow some you tube. But I also want to block the parts that should be blocked.

I will also try to figure out how to put a password on the computer. My old one had a password, but I don't know how to put one on this one.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 7:58 pm
I like the idea of netspark (where you can control the filter) because I need access for work, but unfortunately they can only filter one computer user account. I need something that can filter at different levels for each kid user account - that way I can better control their time usage (each kid gets only 30 minutes a day) and content (14 year old can access more things than 8 year old). Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics