Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Ironing uniform skirt pleats?

Chaya123

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:15 pm
Ok, so I was a little clueless until recently that many mothers iron their daughters' uniform skirt pleats! I tried doing this and wasn't so successful. Any tips? What's the best way to do?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 3:59 pm
Turn the skirt inside out. Ok now this sounds weird - but it works. Tape down the pleats on the bottom of the inside of the skirt, almost like a hem going all the way around, with masking tape. Now you can iron down the skirt inside out very easily! When you get to ironing the bottom of the skirt you can start peeling off the tape as you go. The tape can handle a bit of the iron. But don't go heavy on ironing on top of the tape.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:03 pm
wow, thanks for such a helpful tip! Will definitely try this!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 4:11 pm
Ironing pleats is a rare event by us. If you hang the skirts to dry and never put them in the dryer, they don't normally need ironing. (And I grew up in a house where my mother ironed EVERYTHING. Like t-shirts.)

If they do need ironing we did it properly and pinned each pleat into place. It was then pressed with a fairly hot iron. As each pleat was pressed, the pins holding it were taken out. At the end the skirt was shaken out and hung up immediately.

It was a big job, but happened at most once a term.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:30 pm
Btw, I only iron about 3x a year. If the skirts are wash on cold shaken out and hung right away, the pleats stay in. The one time a pleated skirt made its way into the dryer by mistake, the pleats didn't stay in after that, even after ironing.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:52 pm
In high school we always sent our uniform skirts to the cleaners to get pressed. In elementary school it was a different material and just hanging to dry did the trick.

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:56 pm
I just hold the pleats with my hand while ironing. I iron it at a slightly higher temperature then recommend but watching carefully not to scortch the fabric. I wait for each section to cool off before moving on to the next section. Manipulating the pleats while it's hot makes it less "set"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry