Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Support for trying to eat & be healthier

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:25 pm
I've always struggled with weight, and that's definitely a factor here, that I want to lose weight. Just want that to be clear off the bat. But at the moment with different things going on in my life, I don't have the headspace to worry about calories, and that's not going to work for me right now. However, I haven't been feeling good, and I want to have more energy and feel better about myself. So my focus is on making healthier choices. For example, reaching for a fruit when I want a snack or cutting up a pepper and chumus. Or if I'm still hungry after supper, eat more chicken and don't grab a cookie. Making sure to drink a lot of water, exercising, and going to sleep earlier are also goals.
I know I'm not the only one trying to eat and be healthier. I'm wondering if we can make a support group here to cheer each other on and tell each other about our successes and even our failures. And I specifically don't want people mentioning weight and lbs lost or anything like that. I want to hear about healthier choices, feeling better, feeling better about yourself, etc.
Anyone with me?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:33 pm
Sure, I'll be with you. At certain points in my life, I have been in very good shape. But I had abandoned working out totally for the past 4 years or so. I am trying to get back into it now.

Last week I managed to get in 4 days of cardio, and climbed over 50 floors in my building (not all at once). And I did a 30 minute walking/jogging interval session on the treadmill today. It's not major stuff, but it's major progress for me, from doing absolutely nothing.

Good luck to you, OP, and anyone else who joins us. I'll try to post once in a while.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:39 pm
I don’t count anything. I don’t eat certain things ( sugar, sweetener, grain, starch, fruit) and eat other things to satiety. My
Story is all over here and I am happy to support those who reach out.

I used to weigh 315 lbs at five one height. Now 215. It’s been almost three years since I started and I’ve been stable and happy since. After the first 80 pounds ( counting down to 2 years of maintaining that loss) I lost weight very slowly but I am maintaining and not starving. I feel great.

Also, the other day my cardiologist gave me a massive all clear ( being watched for a family heart issue-) I’ve also resolved my type 2 diabetes. Gone off of the 80Mg nexium per day for gerd. My pee leaking resolved. Stopped needing antidepressants. I feel better than I did when I was 20.

After 45 years of eating disorder, it’s amazing to have lost the voices in my head that called me a glutton and made me hate myself.

I’m very serious about what I do. I’m also very supportive of my friends who ask me for support. But I’ll call a spade a spade if things aren’t working for a person.

You’re welcome to pm me.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 16 2020, 9:40 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Sure, I'll be with you. At certain points in my life, I have been in very good shape. But I had abandoned working out totally for the past 4 years or so. I am trying to get back into it now.

Last week I managed to get in 4 days of cardio, and climbed over 50 floors in my building (not all at once). And I did a 30 minute walking/jogging interval session on the treadmill today. It's not major stuff, but it's major progress for me, from doing absolutely nothing.

Good luck to you, OP, and anyone else who joins us. I'll try to post once in a while.

I discovered the joy of working out about three months ago. Omg endorphins!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:21 am
I don't worry too much about calories. I focus on eating food that has nutritional value and that I won't regret. Whole grain, fruits, veg., good protein. No to minimal sugar (brown/white) and white flours.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:04 pm
Im here to support as well. After years of yoyo dieting I finally decided to shift focus and now have completely made it about health. I work on healthy food choices (whole grains, proteins, no added sugars), eating for hunger and until Im satisfied, drinking a lot of water, getting decent sleep and including movement in my day.
Im not a big fitness person and I dont actively work out for various reasons but I opt to walk, do the steps, do some pushups/situps/squates etc daily.
Most important for me is that this is my lifestyle. So I do what I can in ways that feel sustainable and enjoyable.
And yes I eat treats in moderation Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:11 pm
Thanks everyone!

I have to "re-train" myself to like fruits and vegis. I got myself into a place of reaching for a cookie or cake or whatever. It's really hard to change.
What are your go-to healthy snacks?

awesomemother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 1:53 pm
Im a big believer in one healthy habit a week.
Ex: drinking water, 30 min of activity twice a week, making sure to eat breakfast, getting enough sleep etc.
When you take it on all at once it can get overwhelming.

Healthy snack ideas: cut up fruits or veggies, protein bar, smoothie, yogurt and banana, apple with peanut butter or almond butter

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone!

I have to "re-train" myself to like fruits and vegis. I got myself into a place of reaching for a cookie or cake or whatever. It's really hard to change.

I allow myself chocolate but instead of eating a row at a time, I nibble one piece.
I also make whole grain honey muffins with craisins or choc chips. So I feel I have something sweet to look forward to.
As was just said, the operative word is "sustainable."

Batyah85

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone!

What are your go-to healthy snacks?

I am happy to join and post here and there- my go to healthy snacks: mini rice cake snacks (I forget what they are called but I get at cosco- they have peas/beans in them- crispy and yummy), cut up apples, hummus, celery and peanut butter, home made smoothies...

I am also trying not to diet per say but make healthy choices and exercise. Hope to take on losing weight officially in the future but not happening in my hectic life right now.

ds14

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:51 pm
Love this thread, perfect timing! I am feeling similar to how you describe it, OP. Want to have more energy, feel better about myself, and am too stressed to start dieting. I want it to be about health.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:57 pm
I’m in it too! For a bit of a different reason- I’m pregnant and my last pregnancy my sugar was very borderline. My dr said I better watch my sugar and carbs. It’s sooooo hard for me.

I also do go to exercise classes twice a week and am so proud that I got into that. It’s fun and I feel great! Definitely more enjoyable than doing an exercise video at home or similar.

But I need my sweets Sad

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:06 pm
Hi!

I just saw this thread and I want to do the same! I'm in!

Any ideas for healthy side dishes, snacks, etc?

So far I eat whole wheat toast or oatmeal for breakfast, eggs or tuna wrap for lunch, and some kind of protein and something else for supper... but then I often get lost. Any ideas for a healthy, easy supper and for healthy snacking?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise