Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High school suspends 22 girls for ticktoc
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
You work on the assumption that more yeshivish is better. In the case of BY maybe, but not everyone feels that way. Some schools and families are very happy to not fight for the title of most Yeshivish. More Yeshivish does not equal more frum, being on a higher midrega, or being closer to Hashem.

Even in BY, that’s not always the case. More, stricter rules doesn’t equal better. There are two BY schools in the community in question, and neither one is BETTER. I don’t have kids in either school, but from what I’m seeing, it doesn’t really seem like they are competing with each other to be the “frummer” school. Each school can stand on its own two feet, and they attract their own crowds.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Schools can only teach what isn’t being contradicted at home. We can’t teach our students to wear skirts that cover their knees if their mothers are wearing and buying them miniskirts. The schools have tried teaching about it, but the kids aren’t listening.
Please, teach me your magical methods of how to get teenage/preteen girls to listen to their teachers instead of outside influences. I’ve had open honest discussions with my 13 year old students about TikTok. That’s how I know exactly what they’re doing. They’re brainwashed and pushed by peer pressure and the parents don’t care.

You mean telling your daughter the evils of social media, and how it should be avoided at all costs, then posting about it on social media as amorher, so no one knows that you’re on social media.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:55 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
You mean telling your daughter the evils of social media, and how it should be avoided at all costs, then posting about it on social media as amorher, so no one knows that you’re on social media.

There is nothing wrong with an adult doing things that teenagers are not allowed to do.
BUT I don’t agree with telling your kids that social media, and the internet in general, is evil and forbidden. Rather, we need to teach our kids how to be safe and cautious when using social media.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:01 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Touche! Pot calling the kettle black or something like that. I'm not good with these things but definitely funny that you're amother black.

We can choose what forms of social media we consume. This forum is exclusive to Jewish frum women and is anonymous. It is also not designed to sway you into any particular direction through algorithms and whatnot.

The other outlets are accessing your entire life. Following you around and listening in on you. The more you conform to the type of content they prefer (usually highly sexualized content) the more likes or whatever.

The school probably has a policy of filtered internet and filtered phones. Tictoc likely is one that would get filtered out. Imamother probably not.

What any of us personally believe is not the point. Go to orthodox school for one set of rules, modern orthodox for another, conservative for another. Find the one that matches you value system and ascribe to it. Or not. And then either hide it good. Meaning don't suck in all the others around you or suffer the consequences when you get caught. And don't complain.

Yehuda slept with Tamar. He knew he did the wrong thing. He didn't say change the rules the rules are stupid. He said yes I did that and I was wrong.

If I were in the administration and I saw a student truly regretful of breaking the rules. (Regardless of how she felt about the rule) I would fight for her.

If I saw a student and parents that said it's not fair it's a stupid rule ... That girl wouldn't be getting a college, seminary, or shiduch recommendation from me.

iluvy

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
You work on the assumption that more yeshivish is better. In the case of BY maybe, but not everyone feels that way. Some schools and families are very happy to not fight for the title of most Yeshivish. More Yeshivish does not equal more frum, being on a higher midrega, or being closer to Hashem.

I'm not assuming anything. This is what I've observed. I am not happy with this chumra arms race.

soap suds

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Are you comparing imamother to tiktok?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:52 pm
soap suds wrote:
Are you comparing imamother to tiktok?

Both are social media at the end of the day....

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:36 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Who said I’m telling them it’s evil and should be avoided at all costs? Tiktok is extremely inappropriate due to the nature of it. We’ve ignored/approved other forms. No one is making a big deal of Snapchat.

I also do often post under my sn, I just don’t want to be identifiable here talking about my students.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:46 am
TikTok is pedophile central — secular parents are very wary of it.

Snickers18

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:49 am
sequoia wrote:
TikTok is pedophile central — secular parents are very wary of it.

I barely know what it is but have already read several articles about how it’s one of the worst (best?) apps for grooming children. Forget school; seems like reason enough for any parent to ban its use.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics