Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Custom of gold earrings with turquoise for baby girls?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 6:47 pm
Has anyone heard of the custom to give baby girls gold earrings with turquoise? I read about it in a book about the shtetl and I’m curious if the custom is still around in any communities/families.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:02 pm
Never heard of this

small bean

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:04 pm
What was the reason for it? Just curious

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:17 pm
When I think of turquoise, I think of the Ayin Hara charms common among sefardim (aaaand also non-Jewish cultures from the same area, that always made me uncomfortable regarding its authenticity as a Jewish custom)

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:21 pm
REd ribbon

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:30 pm
Exactly—it was a custom to protect against the ayin hora. (There was also a custom for gold earrings without turquoise.) Another ayin hora custom was a red ribbon tied to the wrist, like mentioned above.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 9:44 am
the red ribbon we do in our family its supposed to be one from kever rochel. since my kids refuse red ribbon we put them on a red necklace. which I was told is best if its a real ruby but was to hard to get cheap for my kids to wear everyday. My mother told me that she heard that red is a color that is bright and stands out and that the point is that people should focus on theneclace and not the beautiful children

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 11:48 am
I don't know the background of the minhag, but gold and turquoise is one of my favorite color combinations. I like it much better than turquoise and silver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics