Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Floppy larynx baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 1:40 am
Have you had it with a child? did they get unwell often?

the paediatric doctor that checked my baby at 6 weeks said that she has a floppy larynx ( I asked the doc about the trachea tug and recessions I was seeing, ) and said I should Google it, she did warn that if her breathing gets more laboured then we need to take had in. If you had it with our child, did it happen often?
Also I don't hear much striker but more snorting, what breathing sound did your child Have?
Did your child also have reflux?
What age was the roughest (apparently it gets worse before it gets better) what age sis if pass?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:15 am
I had a child with suspected trachea issues. They can only be diagnosed through a surgical check. Please follow up with an ENT, and Neurologist as soon as possible. In my child's case, we weren't told about it by our primary physician, and by the time we saw someone about it (after switching peds) it was very late in the game. You are more than welcome to PM me for more info.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:59 am
My baby had laryngomalacia several years ago. Her breathing sounded like something inflating and deflating constantly. Kind of like an electric breast pump, actually. She also did have reflux and a very strong gag reflex. She had other issues and had a few surgeries before age 1, and intubating her was always an issue. She did BH outgrow it. Find a good ent. He'll use a scope through the nose to properly diagnose and treat if necessary.

treetop12

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:50 am
My son had it and was diagnosed by a pulmonologist at 4 months, we suspecte asthma, which he has as well. He ended up needing tubes, so just had repaired then by an ENT (at about a year old). Once it was repaired, he BH had no recurring issues due to the laryngomalacia. Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:54 am
out-of-towner wrote:
I had a child with suspected trachea issues. They can only be diagnosed through a surgical check. Please follow up with an ENT, and Neurologist as soon as possible. In my child's case, we weren't told about it by our primary physician, and by the time we saw someone about it (after switching peds) it was very late in the game. You are more than welcome to PM me for more info.

I also have another child with some issues - very rare abnormality in the larynx, and was also diagnosed late and it can be genetic. I asked the doc if it could be related but they said no, hope for the best

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:56 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My baby had laryngomalacia several years ago. Her breathing sounded like something inflating and deflating constantly. Kind of like an electric breast pump, actually. She also did have reflux and a very strong gag reflex. She had other issues and had a few surgeries before age 1, and intubating her was always an issue. She did BH outgrow it. Find a good ent. He'll use a scope through the nose to properly diagnose and treat if necessary.

My childs breathing sounds are not constantly noisy, it sometimes sounds like a wet balloon being sucked in,very irritating sound as it sounds like she is not taking a proper breath. she also pauses in her breathing after eating which is nerve-wracking.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My childs breathing sounds are not constantly noisy, it sometimes sounds like a wet balloon being sucked in,very irritating sound as it sounds like she is not taking a proper breath. she also pauses in her breathing after eating which is nerve-wracking.

The inward sucking squeak sound is strider and is normal and okay as long as she is breathing fine. Did pediatrician check her saturation levels? If they're consistently above 90, the noise is fine. It means she is working harder than most to breathe, but working hard is okay if she's getting the oxygen she needs. I know it's awful to listen to...
Pausing breathing after eating is more concerning. With laryngomalacia, breathing can be fine but it can still affect feeding because the suck/swallow/breathe coordination is difficult.
An ENT can scope her to see exactly what is going on (a thin tube through the nose while she's awake, not a big deal) and will know better what needs to be dealt with and what is okay.

The reflux and constant upper airway congestion is not fun... for my daughter everything started getting better and easier around 5-6 months, but from what I understand, she was a more extreme case of laryngomalacia (she was hospitalized, had failure to thrive, had surgery, further special care, etc.)

My tips for the reflux: Get the medications- prevacid worked the best for us, but you'll have to experiment. Keep her upright for the first hour after eating, like in a carseat or bouncer, not flat on the floor. It's okay if she sleeps in a carseat or other more upright position if need be- talk to your doctor. If you do any bottles, get good bottles with nipple sizes to help your baby control the flow (I use Dr. Browns). If you use any formula, you may need to experiment with different kinds as well.

My tips for the upper airway congestion: Get a nebulizer and have your pediatrician prescribe extra of the medication so you always have on hand. Use it according to pediatrician's directions. When she is sick, talk to your rabbi about leaving it on on Shabbos with a timer to go on at certain times.

Hatzlacha!

exhausted

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:20 am
My now 8 year old had it and bh outgrew it by the time he was a toddler. He was on oxygen for 8 months because his saturation levels were below 90. He ended up needing his tonsils and adenoids out around age 2. He still is a very noisy breather and snores but had 3 sleep studies done and sleep apnea was ruled out. He had and still has an extremely strong gag reflex and suffered from reflux. Now he is bh thriving, big and strong and very smart!
I would suggest finding an expert pediatric ENT and gastroenterologist.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:23 pm
My 10 month old has laryngomalacia. It’s been a bit of a bumpy ride. He was in the picu at 4 months for a virus and bronchiolitis that he couldn’t fight in his own. Almost put in a breathing tube. Was a scary and overwhelming ordeal. The thing with laryngomalacia is that the stridor can sound very scary. My mil always goes crazy from it. The concern is with the tugging. Bec that means the baby is working too hard to breathe and can dehydrate among other things. I’ve found that using a nebulizer with saline helps keep the upper airways open. Especially helpful when baby has a cold as they will have a harder time breathing then. My baby was just in the ER for a stridor and tugging. He ended up getting steroids which helped a lot.they do bh outgrow it and my baby has made a lot less noise in the last little bit as he grows. I used to have to explain when I took him out bec ppl would look at me funny due to his breathing noises.another thing with laryngomalacia is that the noise is not constant! So sometimes they sound almost like darth Vader. And other times quiet like a church noise.
It can be stressful op. Hatzlocha with your baby!

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:26 pm
Just to add- I treated my baby with reflux meds from after hospitalization until about 7 months. I put him on bec “everyone said that you give reflux meds to keep the laryngomalacia in check”. At 7 months I went to a new ENT who showed me that not only doesn’t he have reflux but there is no evidence he ever did! So I stopped the meds and all was fine bh
Also. I do find my baby a bit more prone to colds...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:54 am
Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it (I can't get over the fact that the pediatrician told me just the basics and said I should Google it)
She sounds the worst after eating or when hungry (he other day I had to feed her in a kids clothes shop and the noise after that was so loud, I wonder what people thought)
From 2hat I have read online, it is the worst between 4-6 months so I hope it will be summer then and she won't get so many cold so we won't have trouble.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics