Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Texting while driving
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:59 pm
I text when I drive. I find it easy, I have pretty good control over the car and my phone. Let me correct myself , I dont actually text, I READ my messages, and then respond if needed using voice notes. I am careful to make sure there are no other cars on the road in front of me , or if Im slowing down etc.. on busy parts of the road I dont read texts. Or I will at a red light and put my phone down when its green.
However I know it is completely wrong. I want to stop. but I cant. I know its dangerous. but it doesnt feel dangerous.
Every now and then I read on the horror of a split second text that cost someone their life, and I resolve to do better. I put my phone in the back seat for a few weeks.
then I slip back into my old ways.
I know how wrong it is. Its illegal, its dangerous.
Before you all go yelling at me -I know tons of other people do it too. Look around you at a red light. notice how many people are looking down. they are looking at their phones.
dont be fooled that I am the exception- I know I am not.

but anyway I want to stop. for good. I just dont know how to stop in a way that is lasting and not just a few weeks good resolve.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:02 pm
Does your car have bluetooth? Cuz mine will read texts to me outloud in a highly computerized annoying female voice. So I leave my phone in my purse which I can't really reach and any texts or calls come in on the bluetooth in the car.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:05 pm
yes it reads texts but not whatsapps.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:07 pm
I just think of my kids. And put my phone away.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:09 pm
Keep your phone out of reach to avoid the temptation.

singleagain

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:48 pm
Put your phone on do not disturb. While driving. My phone does it automatically. You can probably set your phone to do that. I think it works by detecting the speed. Bc I was a passenger yesterday in a different car and my phone went into DND mode. And keep your screen off. Then you won't see or hear notifications.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I text when I drive. I find it easy, I have pretty good control over the car and my phone. Let me correct myself , I dont actually text, I READ my messages, and then respond if needed using voice notes. I am careful to make sure there are no other cars on the road in front of me , or if Im slowing down etc.. on busy parts of the road I dont read texts. Or I will at a red light and put my phone down when its green.
However I know it is completely wrong. I want to stop. but I cant. I know its dangerous. but it doesnt feel dangerous.
Every now and then I read on the horror of a split second text that cost someone their life, and I resolve to do better. I put my phone in the back seat for a few weeks.
then I slip back into my old ways.
I know how wrong it is. Its illegal, its dangerous.
Before you all go yelling at me -I know tons of other people do it too. Look around you at a red light. notice how many people are looking down. they are looking at their phones.
dont be fooled that I am the exception- I know I am not.

but anyway I want to stop. for good. I just dont know how to stop in a way that is lasting and not just a few weeks good resolve.

The only way to really stop is to get a 300$ ticket , twice or worse...

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 12:06 am
Please open up a Chumash and reread in Parshas Bereishis the story of the Adam and Chava and the Tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Your phone, for you in this situation, is the Eitz HaDaas. It looks delicious and fun. When you use it, you feel so in control. Like you are a god. Nothing will happen to me. I can concentrate while driving and texting. And I am so very important, and my messages are so very important, I could not possibly stop doing this. That is the lie which the snake is telling you over and over again. See, you texted and nothing happened. You're good.

But, if you continue to eat from it, this phone/tree will eventually teach you good from evil. (That's why it's called the Eitz Hadaas tov vRa.). Eventually, if you keep eating from this tree, ie texting whilst driving, them " mot tamut," - you will surely die. Either literally, in a car crash, or figuratively, as in you will cause an accident, be arrested and jailed, and it will be all over the news and your reputation will be totally destroyed.

The tree is beautiful to look at and good to eat. But it is poison and it WILL kill you. Mot tamut.

Do you choose life?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 12:17 am
Do you have good life insurance? Please think of your kids. Everyone thinks they can handle it. Except that once.

ora_43

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 1:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And are you also careful to make sure that nobody is about to unexpectedly run into the road ahead of you?

Honestly, it's really hard for me to sympathize here. Texting is not a physical addiction. You're choosing to do this, because even though a quick search will show you that texting is 6x more dangerous than drunk driving, that hundreds of pedestrians are killed each year by people texting and driving, etc, for whatever reason you think you're the one person who can drive well even when you're not looking at the road.

OK, fine, some slight sympathy for the fact that it doesn't feel dangerous. But honestly, what do you expect a dangerous situation to feel like? Life isn't a movie. If a deer is about to run into the highway, or a car is about to make an illegal turn onto your road from a blind drive, or a little kid is about to chase their ball into the street, you aren't going to hear any eerie music first. Everything feels completely safe until the second it isn't.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 1:27 am
Set your phone that it automatically goes into do not disturb mode when you are driving. And keep it in your bag in the backseat. No exceptions.
You can do this! The best case scenario if you continue is a ticket. The worst case is something you don't want to think about.

banana123

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:21 am
So it's really hard for you to stop and therefore you prioritize reading your texts over other people's lives.

I hope you get slapped with a serious fine that cripples you for a month or two. Because other than that, it looks like the only thing that'll make you stop is severely injuring, or killing, either yourself or someone else.

You might not mind leaving behind orphans or being a coma for the rest of your life, but you have no right to make that decision for others.

And all your safety "precautions" are worth nothing, because all it takes is a split second for a tragedy to occur. You are playing with other people's lives, literally.

And really, I don't care if you're doing the same as everyone else. From my perspective, we can have police officers revoking the licenses and impounding the vehicles of anyone who so much as looks at their phone while stopped at a red light, and especially those who text or read texts while actively driving.

Removing irresponsible drivers from the roads means the world will be a safer place AND there will be less congestion and pollution. Win-win.

Last edited by banana123 on Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:25 am
Why not just leave your phone in your purse, in the back seat? Or use your phone for music?

OP, please, we here all beg you to stop. It is beyond dangerous. And you dont want your family to be left without a mother or to by mistake end up killing others in a different car.

blessedflower

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:31 am
First I recommend you do some research. Do you know how much meters or feet you go in one second? Make it two seconds. Cuz that's the time you need to look at your phone. When you will realize how far you go in that second, it's very scary.
Then go Google about accidents that happened cuz people where looking at their phone. Hopefully it will shock the life out of you.
Go google about people that did accidents and have regret about killing innocent kids

Last edited by blessedflower on Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:34 am
Here, she was just reading a text message. Just like you. She wasn't actually texting. But she's still guilty of homicide.
https://fox8.com/news/distract.....eran/

He was just looking at his phone. Luckily he killed himself and not someone innocent.
https://www.argusleader.com/st.....9002/

This mother lost her left leg and the baby in her uterus because of someone like you.
https://www.journal-news.com/n.....Gp3I/

If you can't drive responsibly, do everyone a favor and turn in your license today. You have no right to endanger others' lives. None. No excuses. No justifications.

blessedflower

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:37 am
I saw a video of a person warning people about the danger of texting. He was very careful about it to. And than he was involved in a car accident and he just went out of the car wanting to excuse himself, thinking it wasn't such a bad accident. But when he went to the other car a little toddler was in a critical condition. He described how a helicopter came and he just stood there in shock. And then he described the police that came to his door that evening to tell him the kid passed away. I was crying just watching it. He begged people not to do this. Maybe go find such videos if you really want to stop

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:49 am
OP, I come from a different era. Where I couldn't be contacted every moment, I wouldn't have to worry about missing a crucial message, etc. Whatever it was, could wait.
I say, use the bluetooth, put the phone out of reach, and what you can't access by bluetooth, it's bashert. And not just that, but no matter what loss might accrue, you are gaining so much more by the many mitzvos you are doing: Venishmartem for your life and others, and ve'ahavta lereiacha kamocha. And dina d'malchusa dina... many many zechuyos are coming your way. After all, RH's around the corner Wink Hatzlacha!

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:50 am
Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by nchr on Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

avrahamama

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Please open up a Chumash and reread in Parshas Bereishis the story of the Adam and Chava and the Tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Your phone, for you in this situation, is the Eitz HaDaas. It looks delicious and fun. When you use it, you feel so in control. Like you are a god. Nothing will happen to me. I can concentrate while driving and texting. And I am so very important, and my messages are so very important, I could not possibly stop doing this. That is the lie which the snake is telling you over and over again. See, you texted and nothing happened. You're good.

But, if you continue to eat from it, this phone/tree will eventually teach you good from evil. (That's why it's called the Eitz Hadaas tov vRa.). Eventually, if you keep eating from this tree, ie texting whilst driving, them " mot tamut," - you will surely die. Either literally, in a car crash, or figuratively, as in you will cause an accident, be arrested and jailed, and it will be all over the news and your reputation will be totally destroyed.

The tree is beautiful to look at and good to eat. But it is poison and it WILL kill you. Mot tamut.

Do you choose life?

That was so good. Feel free to PM me with more. What a beautiful approach for me.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
yes it reads texts but not whatsapps.

Do you have an Android. I just asked my goggles assistant to read what's app message. And after enabling the permission it did so
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics