Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
S/o kareis

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:46 am
Do you think most people have done an aveira that brings kareis at some time in their life? What would happen if most of klal Yisrael did that? Maybe I don’t understand what kareis is. Is it being cut off from klal Yisrael or cut off from Hashem?

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:48 am
Yeah... secular people, definitely (eating on YK, going on Har Habayit as a tourist, zex without mikvah).

Hard to believe everyone’s just going to get kareit.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:52 am
The way I understand it, doing a kareis sin means you are eligible for.the kareis punishment of being cut off, but it doesn't mean you WILL get that punishment. Hashem could have mercy, especially of you do teshuva.

I've even heard that if you return in teshuva that means you didn't get the kareis punishment. For instance if two people desecrate Shabbat, and the first then becomes completely secular, then he already has the punishment of being cut off and doesn't keep anything anymore. If the second repents and resumes a healthy religious life then you can tell that he wasn't cut off because he is still connected.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:00 am
I'm not really understanding the obsession with Kares. We know the Halachot. Do the best you can with every Mitzvah, everyday. Move on.
Maybe because I believe in both consistently trying to do your best, whatever that is, and a G-d who is maale rachamim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I'm not really understanding the obsession with Kares. We know the Halachot. Do the best you can with every Mitzvah, everyday. Move on.
Maybe because I believe in both consistently trying to do your best, whatever that is, and a G-d who is maale rachamim.

I think it’s more of a fear than an obsession for no reason and it shows we have our hearts in the right place. Kareis is a scary concept.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:40 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Maybe because I believe in both consistently trying to do your best, whatever that is, and9 a G-d who is maale rachamim.

Based on the opinions that say that the practical meaning of kareis is that a person dies by the age of 50, I can understand the concern.

lilies

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:44 am
Being that a person may die by the age of 50 for many more reasons, the concern should be equally stretched, not concentrated on kareis.

grace413

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:07 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Based on the opinions that say that the practical meaning of kareis is that a person dies by the age of 50, I can understand the concern.

Great, I'm safe! LOL LOL

malki2

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:30 am
sequoia wrote:
Yeah... secular people, definitely (eating on YK, going on Har Habayit as a tourist, zex without mikvah).

Hard to believe everyone’s just going to get kareit.

Do you think that most of the world is just going to get a free ticket to Gan Eden?

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:32 am
malki2 wrote:
Do you think that most of the world is just going to get a free ticket to Gan Eden?

I have no idea.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:40 am
malki2 wrote:

Kol yisrael yesh lehem chelek leolam haba....
I don’t think we should assume the worst.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

So the many many people in my community who died under the age of 50 did sins that are chayav kareit?

malki2

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:57 am
tigerwife wrote:
Kol yisrael yesh lehem chelek leolam haba....
I don’t think we should assume the worst.

That’s referring to believing Jews who commit aveiros. I don’t think that we hold that non-believers get a chelek in Olam Haba just for having Jewish blood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics