Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Lop smackers lip gloss

Tila

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:20 pm
My daughter wants lip smackers lip gloss, but it has obvious trief ingrediants. Freinds in school (from kosher homes) have it. I said NO WAY to her request, but is there a similar gloss that is kosher??

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:33 pm
Mine's almost 7 and beginning to get into wanting lip gloss as well. I'm impressed that you've taken the time to read the ingredient listing...I'm curious as to what the treif ingredients are. (I cannot tell you the last time I got to go to the store---any store---without at least 2-3 of my children with me...they'd never be patient enough for me to examine the ingredient list!)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 1:05 pm
Not everyone holds that stuff that touches the lips and teeth needs to be kosher. Do you want to ask these mothers how they allow it?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:05 pm
how is it different than any lipsticks ...

what about other brands ... with vaseline ...

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:14 pm
Quote:
there are those that check the kashrus of lipstick too

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:33 pm
Are you-all familiar with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)? I'm wondering if, because of their position on animal-free, cruelty-free cosmetics and tioletries items in general, if they would have a list we could obtain. It would be a given that products endorsed by them would be vegan and parve, wouldn't it? (I know that logic doesn't work with food products we consume and digest, so correct me if I am wrong...kashrus is not my area of expertise by any stretch.)
After I get my kinderlach to bed, I'll do some checking and see what I can find online. Wink

Last edited by He*Sings*To*Me on Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Dec 18 2007, 4:37 pm
greenfire wrote:

Vaseline is a petroleum-based product...there's no tallow or animal product in it. Basically, one could call it "parve".

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 8:05 am
I sell Mary Kay lip gloss which has been certified kosher l'pesach by R. Blumenkrantz. (Chol v'chomer, I and plenty of my frum clients use it all year long and just use a new one for pesach).

What's the treif ingredient in lip smackers?

shoy18

Post Wed, Dec 19 2007, 8:20 am
this is the list from the company website

Castor oil - A natural oil obtained from the seeds of Ricinus Communis. This ingredient gives emolliency and gloss to the lips.

Beeswax - A natural purified wax obtained from the honeycomb of the bee, Apis Mellifera. This ingredient gives structure and rigidity to Lip Smackers.

Cetyl Acetate - This is an ester of cetyl alcohol and acetic acid. This ingredient gives emollience and gloss to the lips. It is also a conditioner of dry, chapped lips.

Candelilla Wax - A natural wax obtained from various plant species of Euphoriaceae.

Flavor/Fragrance - These are comprised of both natural and artificial ingredients, all of which are GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) for use in cosmetic and food products. These ingredients give Lip Smackers their characteristic flavor and aroma.

Polybutene - A polymer which is made up of a mixture of butenes. This ingredient adds gloss and wearability to the product.

Sesame Oil - A natural oil obtained from the seeds of Sesamim Indicum. This ingredient adds gloss and emolliency.

Ozokerite - A wax derived from mineral or petroleum sources. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure to the product.

Carnauba - A natural wax obtained from the leaves and leaf buds of the Brazilian Wax Palm, Coperinicia Cerefera. This ingredient adds rigidity and structure.

Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol - The acetyl ester of lanolin alcohol. This is derived from lanolin, a by-product of the wool industry. This is a very good conditioner for dry, chapped lips.

Mineral Oil - A refined liquid obtained from petroleum. This ingredient adds emolliency to the lips.

Hydrogenated Soy Glycerides - This is the end product of a reaction using soybean oil. This ingredient adds structure and rigidity to the product. Also, it provides conditioning for dry, chapped lips.

Thanks to modern science, any flavor (synthetic interpretations of natural flavor) can be duplicated, such as Mango, Bubble Gum and Guava. These flavoring ingredients are also used widely in processed and prepackaged foods and beverages. In developing the individual flavors, our research staff works with independent essential oil manufacturers to achieve the best-intended flavor. The finished flavor submission is often composed of two dozen or more ingredients and may take several months of refinements before the final approval by labs. Many of our combination flavors are achieved by creative blending in our labs. Lip Smackers are also sensitivity tested by outside clinical laboratories to make sure our products are of the highest quality. Each new Lip Smacker is also tested to ensure complete safety to the consumer.

Tila

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 9:24 am
It was Carmine that threw me (the crushed bug thing). The list of above ingrediants came from which company?? I know MAC is kosher for passover (I wear only MAC products), but never thoght of getting lip gloss from them. I am glad to see that Mary Kay is as well. I think it is the "FUN" aspect of lipsmackers that grabs my 9yr old daughter. She told her friends about the bug factor, and the friends do not want to use the stuff now. Is the Mary Kay stuff fun?? I know MAC will not appeal to her for another ten years.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:20 pm
*lol* --- my teenage customers think it's FUN!

But for young teens, it is pricey--- we really cater more to the adult market--- if a 12 year old wants a 2 buck lipgloss, we're not their company.

But I do get a lot of older teens who are starting to get their first REAL makeup.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:33 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Vaseline is a petroleum-based product...there's no tallow or animal product in it. Basically, one could call it "parve".

yup ... they were separate thoughts ... like use vaseline ...

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:37 pm
shoy - does that make it good ?? from the list it would seem so ...

spinkles

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 1:44 pm
I'm not really "chapping" this conversation...confused about what ingredient exactly is problematic...but please can someone explain, because whenever I wear makeup (rarely), I use a blend of their Dr. Pepper one and their cappuccino-flavored one. I love how the Bonne Bell tween lip glosses are very sheer.

Twinsmommy, does Mary Kay have a lip gloss that's as light and sheer (& not super shiny) as a Bonne Bell?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions