Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Going back to school, what do I need to know?
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:16 am
I thought there are no scholarships for masters programs. Please explain.

ora_43

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to work with people so that's why social worker spoke to me the most. I enjoy that kind of work and want to make it my main job. I don't know that much about the market for it but I do think there's a demand in the local schools. The other option I considered was special education, but social worker speaks more to me. Is the demand for special education in the frum community higher that social work?

Has anyone found scholarships for mothers that helped a lot?

OK but "work with people" is a huge field. If you're a social worker most of the jobs involve working with people struggling with serious issues - poor mental health, homelessness, crime, etc. Is that what you want? or, something you'd find meaningful and interesting?

Working in HR tends to pay a lot more, and to involve better funding and fewer heartbreaking situations. Just as one example.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:26 am
jd1212 wrote:
School psychologist is also a good option in $80k range then beyond OT also. How about that? I believe it’s a 2 year masters program after a bachelors in psychology.

Is this true? I would have thought it would take more time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:28 am
ora_43 wrote:
OK but "work with people" is a huge field. If you're a social worker most of the jobs involve working with people struggling with serious issues - poor mental health, homelessness, crime, etc. Is that what you want? or, something you'd find meaningful and interesting?

Working in HR tends to pay a lot more, and to involve better funding and fewer heartbreaking situations. Just as one example.

Ideally in a perfect world I'd like to be a social worker in a frum high school and work with teens in our community who are struggling emotionally, socially and mentally. That's what I really want to do. I don't want to go into a field like nursing or something else that requires long hours, social work feels like the best option for me even if not the most lucrative. I just don't want it to be a complete waste of time and money, I know that I won't ever be making $90,000+ but I do need to make around $50,000+

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ideally in a perfect world I'd like to be a social worker in a frum high school and work with teens in our community who are struggling emotionally, socially and mentally. That's what I really want to do. I don't want to go into a field like nursing or something else that requires long hours, social work feels like the best option for me even if not the most lucrative. I just don't want it to be a complete waste of time and money, I know that I won't ever be making $90,000+ but I do need to make around $50,000+

Exactly what I want to do as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 3:59 pm
Bumping this up to get as much insight as I can Smile if you have any experience with this, I'd love to hear

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:32 pm
jd1212 wrote:
School psychologist is also a good option in $80k range then beyond OT also. How about that? I believe it’s a 2 year masters program after a bachelors in psychology.

It's 2 years of full time classes followed by a mandatory one year internship that is generally unpaid.
it's a 60 (at least) credit Masters (mine was 66).

To get hired in a school as a school psychologist, social worker or guidance counselor, which is another potential good option for OP, you have to have done some grind work in underpaid, difficult settings. After my one-year unpaid internship in school psych, I accepted a position as a per-diem school psychologist in a really bad neighborhood. But it got my foot in the door of the general area I wanted to work in and put experience on my resume.

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 4:41 pm
I pay my sons masters level counselor $95 an hour. He has a real niche seeing boys in our local yeshivos almost exclusively. He has a great rapport with them and the schools really respect him and listen to what he has to say. I knew him when he was just starting out and would give social skills groups on behalf of our local Jewish family services to the schools. That helped him develop a relationship with the administrators as he grew his practice. He spent many years working at our local jcfs before he went into practice for himself so he did not make that amount in the beginning but if your patient and really are good at what you do you can eventually charge an hourly rate that is decent.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:05 pm
30 plus years in the field of social work. I loooove this field but it is hard work and under-compensated. If you choose SW, be realistic. It’s the best work ( if it suits you) but you will struggle to pay back those student loans. I was (am) the main breadwinner in our home and we managed. Maybe just barely. Because I work in healthcare, benefits are excellent. That’s also a consideration.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 6:57 pm
Re schooling itself: to finish the masters itself full time, you will be in school and doing your internship at the same time. You can lighten the load some with summer classes, but there's very little time for also having any job while having a family.

Also, be aware that if you are in school outside of a frum framework, social work programs are very, very liberal. Figure out when to talk and when not to, what to write on tests and in papers, develop a thick skin, and have a rav to ask your shailos to.

I did an MSW fifteen years ago with two kid under one. We lived off DH's salary, and my babysitting and cleaning hours went up. I went back to class a week after dd was born and pumped in library study rooms and the staff bathroom at my internship. I stayed up until 2am writing papers while pregnant and collapsed on the weekend. I reduced my internship hours a bit and continued into the summer to finish up. It was hard and I loved it. And I'm not using it now. Because you can't go straight into a nice private school job after school- you need specific settings and supervision for a couple years first, and though we tried, the hours didn't work for my family.

IvriAnochi

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:04 pm
https://sarasch.com/

Online school or you can choose a location
They offer the degree you described
They are Frum Jewish

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:15 pm
OP, school psychologists do educational testing and write reports a lot. It's not what you are looking for.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:36 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
OP, school psychologists do educational testing and write reports a lot. It's not what you are looking for.

I would enjoy the testing and I am good with report writing and paperwork/ administrative tasks so that doesn't bother me too much.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would enjoy the testing and I am good with report writing and paperwork/ administrative tasks so that doesn't bother me too much.

Ok, then that's great. It didn't sound like that from your other posts. Talk to people who do these jobs and maybe shadow some before you choose a career. Hatzlacha.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:43 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Ok, then that's great. It didn't sound like that from your other posts. Talk to people who do these jobs and maybe shadow some before you choose a career. Hatzlacha.

I want the focus of my job to be helping children and teens emotionally and mentally. I do enjoy technical work and can even enjoy neat paperwork (strange I know Wink) but I want to do that in a job that's focused in the social worker style direction.
I hope I'm making sense, I'm trying to sort this out myself.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want the focus of my job to be helping children and teens emotionally and mentally. I do enjoy technical work and can even enjoy neat paperwork (strange I know Wink) but I want to do that in a job that's focused in the social worker style direction.
I hope I'm making sense, I'm trying to sort this out myself.

In my school the school psychologist barely interacts with the students. Just does formal testing, writes reports, goes to meetings. I doubt most of the kids know her name. Also, it is rare to be at one school full time, usually they travel around and work a couple of days at different schools.
The guidance counselor is the one interacting with students and helping kids emotionally.
Agree you probably want to call up and talk to those who actually have these jobs in your area, to get more information.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:13 pm
As long as you're not in for the money go for it! If you really work full time I think you can hope to make 50k in the tri-state area. I don't think you'll get anything near that working in schools though.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
30 plus years in the field of social work. I loooove this field but it is hard work and under-compensated. If you choose SW, be realistic. It’s the best work ( if it suits you) but you will struggle to pay back those student loans. I was (am) the main breadwinner in our home and we managed. Maybe just barely. Because I work in healthcare, benefits are excellent. That’s also a consideration.

Similar. 20 years. Pay is fair (80k or so) at a top hospital. Benefits are outstanding (I don’t pay a cent for my insurance. Not one cent. No deductible, no premiums, no copay, no conjsnirance. For my whole family) I’m happy with the career I’ve had. But you won’t get this salary or benefits working for a frum school.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics