Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Slightly out-of-it teacher, WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:10 pm
My kid takes music lessons. Today the teacher seemed a little out-of-it. If I had to guess I would say the teachers state was induced by some kind of mind altering substance. WWYD?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:12 pm
Maybe she had a lot on her mind
Maybe something happened to someone in her family/someone she is close to
Maybe she heard some interesting/exciting /worrisome news

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Maybe she had a lot on her mind
Maybe something happened to someone in her family/someone she is close to
Maybe she heard some interesting/exciting /worrisome news

Do any of those cause a person to acted stoned?

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 5:21 pm
Okay.

I'm a music teacher.

I'm not your music teacher; I'm on vacation visiting DD and grandkids this week. But I can relate.

There have been days when I'm totally exhausted.

Not many, but it does happen.

Maybe I worked at the mikvah the night before, and it ran late. Maybe something happened with someone in my family and I didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Maybe I had an awful morning, and didn't eat right.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone wondered about me on those days.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do any of those cause a person to acted stoned?

Why would you think twice? You get a different teacher!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:36 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

And if they weren't stoned? If they were exhausted, or if they had just heard disturbing news, or any other possible reason?

Have you never acted out of it or off before?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:56 pm
Tired or distracted and stoned are not the same.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:44 pm
Teacher, im a little disappointed about last lesson because you seemed a little out of it and as you know I'm really investing in these lessons. I'm sure it wont happen again but just letting you know dc noticed and was concerned about you.

(disclaimer, you will still be THAT parent. If you rlly think teacher is on drugs, quit using him)

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:14 am
Some cold medications can make me loopy without being stoned. Give another chance.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:04 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Interesting, I didn't even consider dropping the teacher, who is amazing. Even I knew for a fact that the teacher had been smoking or taking something before the lesson this one time I still wouldn't consider it.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting, I didn't even consider dropping the teacher, who is amazing. Even I knew for a fact that the teacher had been smoking or taking something before the lesson this one time I still wouldn't consider it.

So what kind of advice are you looking for?

The most you can do, if you insist on keeping the teacher and you're not sure of the reason for the odd behavior, is to ask if the teacher is feeling alright. And if the answer is yes, follow up with "Are you sure? It seems like you may not be feeling well." Or similar. At least that way, if the teacher thought he/she was being sneaky or subtle, you have flagged that the "off" demeanor is noticeable. That won't stop the teacher from using or abusing whatever substance, but it might scare the teacher into at least showing up sober to your sessions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:13 am
OOTforlife wrote:
So what kind of advice are you looking for?

The most you can do, if you insist on keeping the teacher and you're not sure of the reason for the odd behavior, is to ask if the teacher is feeling alright. And if the answer is yes, follow up with "Are you sure? It seems like you may not be feeling well." Or similar. At least that way, if the teacher thought he/she was being sneaky or subtle, you have flagged that the "off" demeanor is noticeable. That won't stop the teacher from using or abusing whatever substance, but it might scare the teacher into at least showing up sober to your sessions.

I like this advice.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I like this advice.

Glad I could help, I guess Smile

If it happens again, and you're still not ready to ditch the teacher, you can take it up a notch by politely but firmly insisting that the teacher go home without giving the lesson, as they do not appear to be in shape to do so, and rescheduling the lesson without additional payment.

ddmom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:22 am
Is lesson taking place in your house? I would be a little more vigilant until you see for yourself that everything is ok!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
And if they weren't stoned? If they were exhausted, or if they had just heard disturbing news, or any other possible reason?

Have you never acted out of it or off before?

So you take that chance when it’s your child who may be at risk???

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

At risk of what?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
At risk of what?

That's what I'd like to know! Rolling Eyes IMHO, as long as the teacher behaves appropriately, and doesn't come in reeking of green substances, then there's no harm being done.

The people I know who smoke pot, when they are under the influence they seem a lot more patient and understanding around their kids. That seems like a good quality in a teacher, too. I've known quite a few teachers in my day who definitely could have used some help mellowing out. Cool

Do you have any idea how many talented musicians smoke pot? 99% of all blues music ever composed and performed was under the influence (the other 1% was drunk.) Anyone remember the Grateful Dead? Does anyone remember the 60's at all?

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:51 pm
I get migraines and I act really loopy/mildly drunk when I'm in the middle of one. I can't speak well, my eyes are kind of droopy, my balance is off etc

And Ive been stoned as a teen and drunk multiple times too so I understand what you mean.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

I can't imagine what the risk would be. I'm there the whole lesson.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette