Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dinner/bath/bed for toddlers with a cranky baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:33 pm
I work evenings and its a pleasure when dh can learn or relax after his super long day and not be busy with the baby. So I try and keep my 3 month old awake from 3/3:30 till 7 and this way he takes a nice 6-8 hour strech. He sleeps while I work and he doesnt wake up for a few hours after im asleep. This has been working out well for us.. EXCEPT that I can not put the baby down. In general its a cranky hour for most babies then but the juggling act is becoming near impossible. Im being proavtive and putting up dinner a lot of days in the mornings but even serving them hot food while holding a baby is a danger. I dont know if im venting or looking for tips ...?! I know this stage will soon be over Smile but in the meantime any tips to make it easier is appreciated!

happymom123

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:38 pm
Baby Carrier!!! Best thing ever. I wouldn't go too close to the stove with it but you can cut up food, sit at the dinner table, read stories, dress and undress toddlers and ever give a bath wearing it once you get used to it.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 7:43 pm
Its way too long for a 3 month old to be up, they shoukdbt be up for longer than 2 hours at a time. Babies don't sleep better if they stay up longer, they get overtired. Sleep begets sleep.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:06 pm
happymom123 wrote:
Baby Carrier!!! Best thing ever. I wouldn't go too close to the stove with it but you can cut up food, sit at the dinner table, read stories, dress and undress toddlers and ever give a bath wearing it once you get used to it.

Can you reccomend one?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:07 pm
trixx wrote:
Its way too long for a 3 month old to be up, they shoukdbt be up for longer than 2 hours at a time. Babies don't sleep better if they stay up longer, they get overtired. Sleep begets sleep.

This bh doesnt hold true for my baby. He takes a feeding at 645 and I put him in his crib awake and he sleep usually to 2 or 3 am takes 2 oz and wakes at 7 am bh.

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 8:10 pm
trixx wrote:

This. Also, the more tired your child is at this age, the more likely they are to actually have trouble sleeping later or experience restless sleep. If you want your baby to sleep well, then make sure s/he is sleeping enough, all throughout the day.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This bh doesnt hold true for my baby. He takes a feeding at 645 and I put him in his crib awake and he sleep usually to 2 or 3 am takes 2 oz and wakes at 7 am bh.

Wow count your blessings!! That's amazing for such a tiny baby!

I second the baby carrier.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Wow count your blessings!! That's amazing for such a tiny baby!

I second the baby carrier.

Thank you! They arent popular for some reason in yeshivish circles... can u reccomend a good (not too expensive) one

happymom123

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 10:59 pm
I got the lillebaby which is normally pricey but for a significant discount. I love it, it feels very secure and comfortable for the baby plus the weight is distributed well so it doesn't hurt my back much.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Have you tried letting him nap in the afternoon- he might still do the long stretch. Meaning, change the schedule so he naps until 5.

You'll still have him up from 5 to 7, but not overtired, so he might be better behaved. Go for the baby carrier or find a swing that he likes.

smile4ever

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:42 pm
Lillebaby and ergo carriers are great and won't hurt your back

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:44 pm
happymom123 wrote:
I got the lillebaby which is normally pricey but for a significant discount. I love it, it feels very secure and comfortable for the baby plus the weight is distributed well so it doesn't hurt my back much.

How did you get a discount? I have the Ergo 360 which is pretty good.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 18 2020, 11:47 pm
Baby can/should still do a 45 minute catnap at 5pm.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

He might be hungry. 2 ounces in the span of about 12 hours is way too little.

happymom123

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:11 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
How did you get a discount? I have the Ergo 360 which is pretty good.

Amazon had a great sale a while back so I bought it then. Such a great investment since it will last a few babies and is lifesaving for those times when you need to get stuff done but the baby needs to be held

2gether

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:26 am
Some ideas:

*Try a baby swing
*Try bathing everybody together (soap everybody at once - while toddler continues to play dress baby in bathroom - baby calm pull toddler out, or: first take toddler out leaving baby in the babyseat while you dress toddler in the bathroom)
*Read Kinderwink blog, maybe a short nap in the afternoon will help you finish what you need to do and have a more wellrested baby who will be willing to be put down on the floor/mat/trampoline for periods of time
*I've put my baby in the trampoline and rocked it with my foot while preparing in the kitchen, worth a try
*Have a girl (7-12 yrs. old) come hold the baby for the most crucial part,s were you need your hands free

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:06 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
He might be hungry. 2 ounces in the span of about 12 hours is way too little.

How old is your baby?
Is he gaining weight? 2 oz is WAY TOO LITTLE

1. You can't use a carrier when dealing with hot food. Way too dangerous
2. Why can't DH hold the baby?

cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:18 am
I third the baby carrier. I got one for my first and have used it with all five of my kid ke"h. It saved my sanity when my fourth was 2-5 months old and I had to deal with supper and bed time for three kids ages 5-1.5.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:40 am
I didnt really ask anyone opinions regarding by baby sleep schedule but since some of you seem up in arms about it, ill offer a bit of an explanation.
1. YOU ARE NOT AN MD (pls remember that before posting how some things are critically dangerous and im harming my baby. Thank you)
2. My doctor is perfectly ok with my baby sleeping 12 hours straight drinking ZERO as long as he is making up the missed ounces during the day time and is gaining weight which bh he is, he already doubled his birthweight
3. This is the book that im following.
Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525.....3TPM2
I used it with my other children and contrary to some replies my kids are bh great sleepers till this day. Like I said earlier- I work nights. I get asked a lot how I do it, well having kids who go to sleep at the same time every night and stay asleep is how I do it.

To the person asking why dh cant hold the baby the answer is, he isn't home during that time.
BARUCH HASHEM, Hashem has been so good to me and I found something that works for me, my children and my husband. Why others feel the need to bash is beyond me.
Vent over

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:42 am
smile4ever wrote:
Lillebaby and ergo carriers are great and won't hurt your back

Ty for your helpful reply. Researchering them now Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics