Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
HELP Bris etc. Announcement

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:19 am
I need to get this out ASAP, and as a giyoret, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that is culturally TOO WEIRD. We go to a Chabad House, for context. And I need this done before my Rebitzen will be able to get back to me, so ... imamothers - HELP! Is this a presentable announcement?

https://I.imgur.com/C9cvO5M.jpg

Sorry, I can't figure out how to do the image thing right from my phone. I'm up all night with my gorgeous son, and ... long story short, I'm a mess!

amother
Green

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:36 am
I think it's ok. However just by reading it I think you shld switch it for order of events. So Shalom Zachor, Vacht nacht and then bris. Also confirm all timings!!!! I made that mistake and had to resend it out.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:47 am
I wouldn't write the phrase "we welcome all". That turns it into an invitation. Everything else is good.
Also! Mazal tov! Torah chuppah maasim tovim and nachat!

Last edited by avrahamama on Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

teachkids

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:53 am
For the shalom zachar are you inviting people for davening and the meal too? People often just do 8:30-10 or whatever

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:40 am
teachkids wrote:
For the shalom zachar are you inviting people for davening and the meal too? People often just do 8:30-10 or whatever

Agreed. It does look as though you are inviting people for the Friday night meal. If this is not your intention, see if you can play with the wording a bit. Maybe just mention candle lighting and then say Shalom Zachor at whatever time. Call it for around when you finish eating, but people will probably show up when they finish eating.

If your Rebbitzen is away, is there anyone else in the community who can advise you about this? We can give general advice, but we can't help with your community norms.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:07 am
I also assumed you were inviting people for the meal. You're not? (It's not usual, but I thought maybe it's a chabad house thing)
Also, change spelling if Zachar to zachor.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:13 am
avrahamama wrote:
I wouldn't write the phrase "we welcome all". That turns it into an invitation. Everything else is good.
Also! Mazal tov! Torah chuppah maasim tovim and nachat!

As Avrahamama said, you aren't supposed to "invite" people to a bris, because one is not supposed to turn down the opportunity to do a mitzva. You let people know.

You can try:

With much gratitude to Hashem,
we would like to inform you of the
BRIS
of our dear son

Sunday, February 23
28 Shevat
Shacharis @ 11 am, Brit @12 pm
Address of Shul

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:16 am
Yeah, because we are doing everything at our Chabad House (because it's not an option to do any if it at our apartment) ... yada yada it makes sense because of our "different" community situation to have the Shalom Zachar along with the davening and meal that already happens weekly - we will just spiff it up a bit.

I thought about switching the order of events ... but we have found in the past that it works best in our community to list the main event first, even if it makes things out of order.

We live in a small, scattered community of mostly non-affiliated Jews who are varying levels of observant. Everyone is very scattered geographically, also. We just all go to the local Chabad House - that is our community. So, there is no community norm. I just want to make sure it doesn't sound stupid and nothing is spelled wrong, lol.

If I don't say, "we welcome all," what can I say? This phrase was my husbands input, btw.

I will re check the times, FOR SURE.

Thank you, all!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, because we are doing everything at our Chabad House (because it's not an option to do any if it at our apartment) ... yada yada it makes sense because of our "different" community situation to have the Shalom Zachar along with the davening and meal that already happens weekly - we will just spiff it up a bit.

I thought about switching the order of events ... but we have found in the past that it works best in our community to list the main event first, even if it makes things out of order.

We live in a small, scattered community of mostly non-affiliated Jews who are varying levels of observant. Everyone is very scattered geographically, also. We just all go to the local Chabad House - that is our community. So, there is no community norm. I just want to make sure it doesn't sound stupid and nothing is spelled wrong, lol.

If I don't say, "we welcome all," what can I say? This phrase was my husbands input, btw.

I will re check the times, FOR SURE.

Thank you, all!

See above: say we would like to inform you.
Also its Zachor not zachar

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:25 am
Mazel tov!
Switch around the events to put them in order.
And instead of "we welcome all", just write "with gratitude to Hashem, the shalom zachor of our dear son will be....." Personal preference, but I don't like when to says "inform". Just say it like it is. Don't be weird about it, yknow?

chicco

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:28 am
Mazel tov! I don't see a problem with "we welcome all." All it means is that you will graciously accept anyone who comes. No issue of invitation there. Enjoy it all!

goodmorning

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:45 am
Lawngreen, why are you so convinced that it should be "zachor" instead of "zachar"? It's the same kamatz under the chof as under the zayin; why is an "a" fine for the first one and not the second?

If anything, while I think that you could get away with "zachor," it looks more like it has a cholam and thus meaning remembrance (as in, Parshas Zachor) while "zachar" looks like a kamatz, meaning male. Which is the intended meaning.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:03 am
goodmorning wrote:
Lawngreen, why are you so convinced that it should be "zachor" instead of "zachar"? It's the same kamatz under the chof as under the zayin; why is an "a" fine for the first one and not the second?

If anything, while I think that you could get away with "zachor," it looks more like it has a cholam and thus meaning remembrance (as in, Parshas Zachor) while "zachar" looks like a kamatz, meaning male. Which is the intended meaning.

You're right. It could be both. It looked funny to me, but zachar is a better spelling. Sorry, op.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:46 am
Mazal Tov!.
I think you should do it in order and just makes the Bris details in bigger font to show that it is the main event.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics