Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
To Share or Not to Share

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:37 am
I'm wondering what others do about birthday presents, or any present given to your child individually, by you or someone else. Do you encourage sharing? Does it stay that child's? What happens when one kid gets a present really appropriate for them all for his birthday, and then another kid gets a present really just meant for him for his? Like a toy kitchen would be for all kids, but a bike would really just be for the birthday kid. So what do you do about it? My kids get that some things are individual and some are not, but it still seems unfair. Do the kids have to ask permission to play with the kitchen the same way they would need to ask to use the bike?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:24 am
I don't know what fun a kitchen toy would be without sharing.

I usually let them have their first few weeks of exclusiveness and then open it to the klal.

Kind of like how we didn't read someone else's paper or magazine before them....

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:34 am
We treat it as their individual toy, but we encourage them to be reasonable and remind them that their siblings also have things they want. They are pretty decent about giving permission to siblings to use their toys, as long as they aren't using it. Except our baby, who is 2 years old, and doesn't want anyone to touch anything that is his, ever. But he will grow out of that.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:38 am
On certain things I encourage sharing but kids are allowed to have their personal things. They don't must share everything. If a child gets a toy or game that's made to be played with afew people, I encourage to share but that child gets to be in charge. These toys/games anyways end up becoming family toys after a while.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children