Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I think voicenotes are rude and obnoxious.
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:44 pm
Am I alone in thinking this?

Call me or send a text.

jewwoman

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:47 pm
Personally I find them easier to send when im busy doing something and easier to listen to. But to each his/her own

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:47 pm
I don’t mind them

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:49 pm
I also hate them

mha3484

I never send them but I can understand why people do. Sometimes its easier to express yourself that way but you dont want to or have time for a phone call.

SuperWify

I think voice notes are convenient and genius on both ends.

mamma llama

If you don't like it, you should tell people it bothers you so they won't do it anymore.
I really hope they aren't doing it to be rude and obnoxious.

I actually use voice notes a lot. You can't really capture the emotions or the little nuances in a text message. I always prefer an actual phone call, but when that isn't an option... voice notes!

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Am I alone in thinking this?

Call me or send a text.

It really depends on the conversation.
I don't think it's rude at all.
I'd say a text is more rude than a voice note.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:51 pm
It depends on who, what, where, why, and when.

My sister lives in another country. Phone calls are very difficult because of the time difference and kids, etc, voice notes are the best way for us to hear each others voices. My close friends and I have a group chat and if someone has a long thing to tell all of us, a voice note is the easiest way to do it. The nature of the whatsapp group is to be mechazek each other - its perfect for us.

If its from a boss, kid's teacher, etc, then I agree its inappropriate (I’ve never had this happen though). In general though, sometimes I have a longer thing to get across and a call is not warranted but its too long for a text. If its a parent, teacher, boss, etc, I will call or email depending on who and why.

But no - I don't think its ever rude or obnoxious.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:52 pm
To me, a voice note says, "I don't have time to text you and you're not worth a phone call, so here's a voice note where I say my piece and you have to click to open it and listen."

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To me, a voice note says, "I don't have time to text you and you're not worth a phone call, so here's a voice note where I say my piece and you have to click to open it and listen."
LOL
To me it says:
“Now you have to voice note back”
And I much prefer texting.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:56 pm
I love voice notes. I'm not always interested in people calling me. I have a house full of kids and I'm busy. A voice note allows me to hear what they want to say at my own convenience without having to turn it into a whole conversation.
And I like it for the same reason when I need to tell someone something but dont have time for a whole conversation.
Why do you think its rude?

ddmom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:57 pm
No...
To me it means I don't know how to spell so I'm recording instead!! LOL
I do it when I'm driving sometimes but tell the person I'm driving and that's why I'm quickly answering your question!!
I don't think it's rude, just annoying. It's more of a new generation thing!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:57 pm
You are not alone OP.
Unless my far away sister and I missed the sound of each other's voices like watergirl, I wouldn't send one.
Do you also hate when people text Kk? No idea if that's meant to sound rude or passive aggressive but it does.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:58 pm
I HATE phone calls. Sorry. You couldnt just send me a quick text or voice note asking me your one line question? I have to stop what im doing, and go answer the phone, for that? Just send a message! Obviously if its for chatting purposes im all for it, when im available...but for things that are simple qustions and comments, why call?

I actually find voice notes considerate. They don't put you on the spot, they dont interrupt what youre doing, they wait until it's a good time for you to listen to them, and theres no misinterpretation like there can be with texts.

Last edited by little neshamala on Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 12:58 pm
My boss voice notes me a the time. Sometimes things are difficult to text. And a call isn't possible bc we aren't always at our desks with our phones.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:01 pm
They are convenient to leave if you are walking around and cannot take the time to type a message.

I find them annoying to receive if someone sends me one at work. I can surreptitiously glance at my phone to get a text-based message, even if I'm in a meeting, but I'd have to put on headphones to listen to your voice message without my colleagues overhearing, and that is annoying.

Aylat

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:26 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I think voice notes are convenient and genius on both ends.

Yep.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:27 pm
I don’t think voice notes are rude, but I find them to be pretty annoying. Maybe it’s just my particular friend who loves voicenotes (even though I’ve told her I hate them), but I find it takes triple the time to listen to than it would to read the same thing written in a text. Also, I’m often in a situation where I can’t listen to a voicenote, but I can read and respond to a text.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:28 pm
Whars a voice note? I never heard of it. Is it like voice mail?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette