Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Regret Birthday Celebration

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:22 am
So last night me and my DH decided to go out for my birthday. A friend told me of a new place that has a sampling menu and I thought it wld be cool since then we get to try so much. However it was expensive, and now I feel so bad....its way more then we normally spend. I knew wld be expensive and before we did it, me and DH discussed it, however on way home he kept mentioning how expensive it was so now I feel so bad about it. I know we technically can do it but not every time. I am trying to think of reasons and make myself better that we did it. Honestly me and DH hardly see each other I am in school full time and have been struggling coping with everything so I kept saying this is that I got through a tough patch plus my birthday as well for our anniversary and other occasions will do smaller outing. But it's not helping. How do I say spending close to $400 on 2 people is ok?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:25 am
Happy birthday!!

Don't regret it - it happened and you enjoyed it, and best of all you spent a beautiful time with dh and came home with an experience.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:30 am
What's done is done.

Think of little ways to recoup part of the expense (skip buying coffee out for a month, use buses instead of taxis once/week, make food instead of ordering take-out once/week, etc).

Then you won't feel guilty about your splurge.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:38 am
Don't regret it! Your marriage is the best investment you can make

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:54 am
DrMom wrote:
What's done is done.

Think of little ways to recoup part of the expense (skip buying coffee out for a month, use buses instead of taxis once/week, make food instead of ordering take-out once/week, etc).

Then you won't feel guilty about your splurge.

This is what I would suggest as well.
Do not regret it! It sounds like it was a special night out which you need.
It's not like you are going to do this every month.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:51 am
Do you write? Maybe you can make something off this experience.
And I'm with everyone else. You did it, enjoy the memories, cut down here and there for a bit if you can, and we all live and learn.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So last night me and my DH decided to go out for my birthday. A friend told me of a new place that has a sampling menu and I thought it wld be cool since then we get to try so much. However it was expensive, and now I feel so bad....its way more then we normally spend. I knew wld be expensive and before we did it, me and DH discussed it, however on way home he kept mentioning how expensive it was so now I feel so bad about it. I know we technically can do it but not every time. I am trying to think of reasons and make myself better that we did it. Honestly me and DH hardly see each other I am in school full time and have been struggling coping with everything so I kept saying this is that I got through a tough patch plus my birthday as well for our anniversary and other occasions will do smaller outing. But it's not helping. How do I say spending close to $400 on 2 people is ok?

Regrets aren't going to reverse the charges, but it will ruin the memories of the experience.

You knew the price in advance and discussed it. You decided to go. Hopefully you had a great experience and created good memories.

Let the rest go.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Stop focusing on it! It’s done, there’s nothing you can do to change it now, so torturing yourself this way is pointless and detrimental. Just tell yourself you deserved a special treat for your birthday! Let it go. Happy birthday!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:25 pm
Thank you all for your support. I think I just needed to hear all of it instead of me only thinking it. The pro we had so much leftovers it will be supper for tonight also.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:27 pm
It's hard to put a price tag on memories and hopefully it was a night to remember and good for your relationship with your husband.

So curious where you went and whether the food was good. Can you share?

s1822

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:30 pm
You can PM me and I'll tell you where we went.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:46 pm
It was decreed in Shamayim that the restaurant would get a certain amount of it's parnassa from you this year. You fulfilled Hashem's will. Be proud and happy that HaShem saw fit to have you "lose" $400 this way rather than on medical bills or a speeding ticket .

Happy birthday!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
It was decreed in Shamayim that the restaurant would get a certain amount of it's parnassa from you this year. You fulfilled Hashem's will. Be proud and happy that HaShem saw fit to have you "lose" $400 this way rather than on medical bills or a speeding ticket .

Happy birthday!!!

I love this! I also love shopping, so I may be using this a lot. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics