Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Have you ever won a raffle?
1  2  Next

Marathon

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:43 am
Curious how many people here have won a prize of significant value. I won a soda can in 5th grade but other than that not much.

eduardo

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 8:59 am
Once. I won a prize worth around $200

sky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:09 am
I’ve never won in national or large city wide auctions but I’ve won a few times from my kids school. I think the pool of ppl is much smaller so your chances are higher.
I once won a pkg that was really a discount. I needed the pkg contents anyways but because everything in the pkg was an upgrade I think I still spent the same I would’ve without it - it was just nicer - so no real savings - but it was fun.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:14 am
Never. But from what I've heard from winners, both locally and nationally (in fb groups), so many of these fabulous prizes are a real bait and switch. You show up to claim your diamond necklace or sheitel and the store treats you like a queen... until you pull out your voucher from the auction and then they point to the last season bottom of the bin stuff.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:23 am
watergirl wrote:
Never. But from what I've heard from winners, both locally and nationally (in fb groups), so many of these fabulous prizes are a real bait and switch. You show up to claim your diamond necklace or sheitel and the store treats you like a queen... until you pull out your voucher from the auction and then they point to the last season bottom of the bin stuff.

Part of my pkg was an upgrade at a really expensive caterer. I ended up spending what I would’ve paid the cheaper caterer I planned on using. But despite the huge discount the caterer treated us fantastic and we had amazing service. (I’d use him again just because of that).
Even though the free photographer was already booked that night he gave us an earlier slot and tons of time
Free Hairdresser squeezed us in when I called last minute. And spent regular amount of time on each girl
The free hall gave us our pick of dates
All other free and discounted services were equally lovely.

(Although I’ve never won a wig or jewelry - I have heard wig prizes come with tons of restrictions).

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:56 am
I worked for a company that had prizes at their holiday party which were drawn from a jar.

I won a weekend in Las Vegas. My idea of a weekend in H*ell is Las Vegas. Luckily I was able to convert the value of the trip to plane fares which I used to fly somewhere that year.

The next year at the holiday party, I wished fervently not to win the prize again and I won the trip to Las Vegas AGAIN. That year it wasn’t transferable so I thought about going but every time I thought about it, I realized I didn’t want to pack, get to the airport p, fly and then spend three days in Las Vegas. I was much happier just chilling at home rather than go through all that to be in a place I hate.

I know people like Las Vegas and there are things to do besides gamble but it’s just not my kind of scene.

Aside from that, I haven’t won anything but I don’t enter anything deliberately.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:30 am
Yes, a few times. I won a sheitel and also an expensive office chair. Oh, also won botox treatments at a dermatologist office but I was in my early 20's at the time so gave it away. (Would still give it away actually, lol!)

gamanit

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:33 pm
Nopes. Never.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:38 pm
My sister and I once one $500 Macy’s... What happened was was that I wrote our names on two tickets and instead of writing our first names as well I just did our last names so we never knew who rlly won

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:41 pm
Long ago we won 4 luxury box seats and a fancy take-out kosher dinner for a classical music concert at the Hollywood Bowl — you can picnic in the luxury box before the concert. We took our sons and had a wonderful evening.

boat

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:42 pm
Would be best if y'all could also tell us whether you put tickets into every auction book that comes your way....

Would be cool to hear from someone who only put in a one-time entry and won.

mfb

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:44 pm
I wrote up a whole answer and then realized there’s no anonymous so I don’t want to say the prizes and out myself to pple that know me. But I did win a few prizes many years ago. More recently most maaser goes to families that I know need the help.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:48 pm
boat wrote:
Would be best if y'all could also tell us whether you put tickets into every auction book that comes your way....

Would be cool to hear from someone who only put in a one-time entry and won.

See my post above. I was in high school and went to a tzeddakah organization’s quction and put in a few diff prizes... and one ticket in the prize that I won. Well, technically two. Read my post for exp
I feel like one ticket is hishtadlus, if Hashem wants you to win you will

mamma llama

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:54 pm
I remember back when I was in elementary school, there was a mother-daughter brunch with a raffle for a camp package. I put in 1 ticket... and won!

More recently, I haven't won anything at an auction.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:06 pm
Yes! Gosh, about 20 yrs ago I won $1200 worth of prizes in a raffle at a sports event I used to participate in.

emmes

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 5:38 am
I wanted a Bosch machine very much. It took me 2-3 years of Chinese auctions (from local organizations that I would've given money to regardless), until I finally won it

jf

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:58 am
To all the winners...did you have to pay taxes on the value of the items you won? If you win something expensive that can turn into a price-y win for you.

exhausted

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:26 am
I won gift certificates to glasses store, a scooter, a megillah, and a voucher to an appliance store.

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:30 am
When I was single I used to put at least $100 worth of tickets in at least 2 Chinese auctions per year. Once a I won a silver menorah, probably worh a few hundred dollars. I think it was a choice of 3 options at the store.

b.chadash

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:44 am
I've won things a number of times. In general, I will only put one ticket into a prize that I want. I feel that if Hashem wants me to win, I will win with one ticket.
I won 500 dollars at a local kosher grocery, a laptop, and 300 at a mens store. I also once won a prize just for showing up to an event (where every person got automatically entered into the raffle, but I didn't know, so I was shocked to win it.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics