Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
It's not stealing, right?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:56 pm
If I buy something in a gorcery store, realize I don't need it, and switch it up for something the same price without going to the counter and doing an exchange?

Like if I bought a few chocolate bars, realized they are the wrong type, put them back back on the shelf and took other ones that were the same exact price?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I buy something in a gorcery store, realize I don't need it, and switch it up for something the same price without going to the counter and doing an exchange?

Like if I bought a few chocolate bars, realized they are the wrong type, put them back back on the shelf and took other ones that were the same exact price?

It's not stealing per se but it's not mentchlich either.
They need to scan the items to keep track of inventory.
Just like you can't do this in a clothing or any other store, you shouldn't do it at the grocery.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:58 pm
I'm not sure what it's considered.
But it messes with the inventory.
Store's system says they have 10 of Bar A. And 10 of Bar B. You buy 1 Bar A, and the inventory automatically changes at the register. So now, the system says "9 Bar A" and "10 Bar B". You go and switch it, the system never processes it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:07 pm
It's wrong. Some stores have actually had a similar problem with "reverse shoplifting".

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:08 pm
It's not stealing, but you're messing up the system and making more work for people. Not nice.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:09 pm
I work in a grocery store. Please don't do this. It does srsly mess our inventory and ... It might actually be stealing. Yes.

Bc even though we charge you the same, it might not cost us exactly the same.

Maybe we got one flavor on deal. But now the sale is over. Not paying it is stealing our extra profit.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It’s wrong because it messes with their inventory. It may be considered geneivas da’as. Also, you can’t just walk into a store and put down money on the counter and walk out with a product. They actually have to give it to you. So officially there was no transaction, possibly rendering it “chomos”.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:14 pm
Whoops. I didn't think of this. Can't Believe It

I just did it and ran out without thinking.

What do I do now; go back to the store and tell them what happened? embarrassed

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

An honest mentchlich person would go back and own up to their mistake.

malki2

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just tell them, they will appreciate your honesty.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:22 pm
You can just say you want to exchange this for that.

singleagain

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. Go back. Talk to customer service. Explain. And apologize.

mamma llama

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Maybe call up and ask to speak with the manager. No reason to embarrass yourself in the store for an honest mistake. Explain the situation and he'll probably say it's fine. Wink

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:54 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Maybe call up and ask to speak with the manager. No reason to embarrass yourself in the store for an honest mistake. Explain the situation and he'll probably say it's fine. Wink

Great idea! I would probably be way too embarrassed to go explain (even though that would be the right thing to do) but this is so much easier. If they have email even better.

Just curious- OP why did you do this? Why not just return the items? Or ask them if you could swap them?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:56 pm
Update: Did it! Called to speak to manager, and told him what happened. He laughed at me Mad and said its ok and it was good of me to call.

Thank you all imamothers for helping me do the right thing!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:59 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Great idea! I would probably be way too embarrassed to go explain (even though that would be the right thing to do) but this is so much easier. If they have email even better.

Just curious- OP why did you do this? Why not just return the items? Or ask them if you could swap them?

Cuz I was in a huge rush and not thinking straight. Didn't have time to go wait on line again, so just threw them back on the shelf and took other ones.

Then I got home, breathed for two minutes, and my conscience started perking up lol.

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Cuz I was in a huge rush and not thinking straight. Didn't have time to go wait on line again, so just threw them back on the shelf and took other ones.

Then I got home, breathed for two minutes, and my conscience started perking up lol.

Next time, find a manager / go to customer service.

mamma llama

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: Did it! Called to speak to manager, and told him what happened. He laughed at me Mad and said its ok and it was good of me to call.

So happy it worked out! Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:31 pm
OP, happy ending and good for you. I was going to say, that cameras might tip off someone and you could be stopped at the door, innocent as your intentions were.

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 5:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I had a feeling they would react like that. Imamothers can be so uptight sometimes. Maybe it's better lchatchila to have waited on line again, but what's done is done.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics