Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I work too hard 😞

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 1:57 pm
Just a vent
I'm in my 9th month, feeling quite shleppy and tired as is.
Add one job out of my house almost every day
Then add another job working from home
Then add the regular laundry, cooking, cleaning, childcare, shopping
Then add absolutely no extras like cleaning help or takeout, since we're extremely tight financially.
Obviously no treats, luxuries, or comforts that cost money.
Dh is also working his kishkes off, so he's barely home, meaning no dates, outings, breakfast/lunch/supper together, and no help at home.
My work from home is for something that's not a necessity, let's say printing custom labels for people's Mishloach Manos.
Most of them ask for a discount, and it's so frustrating, I need every cent desperately, I work so hard, and I would never have treated myself to ordering something like what I provide.
They complain that they can't afford to spend so much! No one is forcing you to order from me, but if you do want to treat yourself, then pay for it!!! Can't Believe It
Vent over for now

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:18 pm
Oh, and if you were planning on advising birth control (someone's gotta suggest the obvious) save yourself the time.
This is a long-awaited pregnancy, and reality changed at some point.
I think even poor people can have SOME kids.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:20 pm
Can either of you switch to a better paying position?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:26 pm
It's OK to feel overwhelmed, shleppy, and exhausted. All I can say, is when that baby comes I hope you are treated like the queen of the castle!

It's also more than OK to insist on being paid what you are worth. IMHO, your dignity is priceless. If you are asking the market rate, and providing quality service and products, you have no reason to compromise.

Here's a neat trick that every marketer knows. RAISE your prices, so people will think that you are more exclusive. Then offer them a discount. If they bring you new customers, then offer them another discount on future purchases.

When I had an Etsy shop, my sales were just barely average. One day I decided to raise all of my prices 25%, and then offered a 15% discount. Sales doubled within a week, and I got a 10% profit increase out of it as well. Very Happy

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:27 pm
Can you get someone on LinkedIn to help you with your business?
People will always ask for discounts. You have to learn how to do business. It can really help you.

On LinkedIn there are many people giving free advice. Many from people an Frum groups.
Reach out!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:28 pm
I have a set answer when people ask for discounts....something along the lines of "in fairness to all my clients I do not negotiate pricing". If they complain that they can't afford it, reply with "I agree with you.... custom labels (or whatever service) are a luxury so I would completely understand if you choose to not go ahead with this."

And then don't negotiate pricing....ever!

mamsegula

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 2:31 pm
That all sounds so overwhelming. Do you have some time just for yourself? To relax with a book? And date night can even be date afternoon in Shabbat, or date walk you to the bus stop ... when you B'H give birth things will slow down to a more relaxing pace.
And for sure don't feel pressured to give discounts. Your time is so precious, and it is a luxury...
You sound like an amazing women, be kind to yourself,

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:34 pm
I can sympathize.
I'm in my 8th month bh and working full time out of the house. I have some cleaning help but never enough and can really use daily help just to keep up.
I come home exhausted and need to put together supper, can't even make in advance bec kids only want fresh. I need to lay down each evening just to make it thru the night and feel so guilty that not spending more time with kids but can't help it.
I wish I had more time off just to relax, care for myself and home and cook proper meals. Oh well, guess we gotta pay the bills no matter what.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 3:48 pm
I understand this is just a vent... Sad

But can I ask the obvious..

Are you living where the COL, ie cost of real estate and taxes is way out of your league

Can your husband get more education and or Skills to earn more

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:41 pm
I earn very little in my out of the house job, but quitting after the baby iyh
Dh's business is going through a very rough patch. He's putting in a lot of effort, trying to build it up.
Iyh, things will sort out, I know Hashem can and will and has helped us along until now.
I'm just getting impatient, and dreaming about lazy mornings with my newborn iyh.
Thanks for all your support ❤️

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's OK to feel overwhelmed, shleppy, and exhausted. All I can say, is when that baby comes I hope you are treated like the queen of the castle!

It's also more than OK to insist on being paid what you are worth. IMHO, your dignity is priceless. If you are asking the market rate, and providing quality service and products, you have no reason to compromise.

Here's a neat trick that every marketer knows. RAISE your prices, so people will think that you are more exclusive. Then offer them a discount. If they bring you new customers, then offer them another discount on future purchases.

When I had an Etsy shop, my sales were just barely average. One day I decided to raise all of my prices 25%, and then offered a 15% discount. Sales doubled within a week, and I got a 10% profit increase out of it as well. Very Happy

I actually raised my prices at some point, since I'm considered more "exclusive". Everyone else followed suit and now we all charge the same.
it's hard work, so I'm not interested in expanding too much at this point, will focus on it bh after I get back to myself.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I earn very little in my out of the house job, but quitting after the baby iyh
Dh's business is going through a very rough patch. He's putting in a lot of effort, trying to build it up.
Iyh, things will sort out, I know Hashem can and will and has helped us along until now.
I'm just getting impatient, and dreaming about lazy mornings with my newborn iyh.
Thanks for all your support ❤️

Oh! Well if your quitting, you have a realistic dream to hold onto! There's a light at the end of the tunnel and your almost there!

Lazy mornings with your newborn sounds awesome!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics