Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Peeling eggs?

smile

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:14 am
Your failproof method to peel eggs?

anotherima

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:16 am
smile wrote:

Instant pot!! A real game changer for me. Five minutes pressure, five natural release, then remove and put eggs in an ice bath five minutes. Comes out perfect.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:30 am
smile wrote:

If you cook and store them properly, it is easy to peel hard eggs. There are a few methods, and you need to find the one that works with your stove. I found that every time I moved/got a new stove, I had to adjust because the intensity of the flame is different.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:43 am
After the eggs have boiled, I keep pouring water over them and I let them sit, in cold water, so I keep on changing the water until it remains cold. That helps a lot.

teachkids

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:50 am
Use older eggs that have been sitting in your fridge at least a week

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 7:59 am
teachkids wrote:
Use older eggs that have been sitting in your fridge at least a week

My mom found out that when we had chickens. Fresh eggs do not peel at all! She even kept some in the back of the fridge for a month, and they still wouldn't peel. It makes you wonder what's going on with commercial eggs.

The hot eggs in ice water trick is the best, and then peel them under a light stream of running water. If you crack then and get some water between the egg and shell then the shell will slip right off, and the running water gets rid of any tiny bits.

If you want to something fun for your kids, make "exploded eggs". I figured this out by accident, but it's been a huge hit with the kids I take care of. You need a large pot with a glass lid. Get the water going to a rapid boil. Lightly crack the raw eggs, and then lower them into the boiling water. Put on the lid, and let the kids watch the egg ooze out of the shell as it cooks. It's never the same shape twice, so it's always interesting to see what it will do.

Kids who are indifferent about hard boiled eggs will love the novelty, and the process makes it easy for little fingers to take the shells off with ease (just make sure the eggs are cooled off enough so that the kids don't burn their fingers.) Sometimes the glass lid will get a feathery pattern of egg white on it. I call it "spider webs", and the kids think that's pretty cool, too (especially boys.)

polka dots

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:07 am
If it’s cooked well no need for any tricks. Don’t let it sit in the hot water after it cooks.

After cooking in for 15 min I’m boiling water I pour off hot water and put it in cold water. When it’s cooked I put it in the fridge

Marathon

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:12 am
After I make the eggs. I fill a bowl or cup with cold water and put the eggs in it and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. The shell slides right off.

applesbananas

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:16 am
I used to put the eggs in water and turn and the flame and wait for it to boil. Worked sometimes and others it didnt. Then someone taught me a great trick. Boil the water then drop the eggs in with a slatted spoon. 13 mins on a timer and then take off the flame. Now the peel beautifully everytime regardless of running them under cold water or doing an ice bath...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 9:33 am
Dropping the eggs in to just boiling water works best. I use a spider to drop them all in at once and this use a slightly higher boil than if one at a time. That’s a kenji alt Lopez trick

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:47 am
Right after cooking, I run them under cold water to cool them down. This helps it peel more easily.

essgee

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:51 am
as soon as the eggs are done cooking, I drain the water.
then, shake them around in the pot until the shells crack.

rinse with cold water until cool enough to peel.

works like magic every time no matter how I cook them

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 6:41 pm
Lots of salt in the water. like 1/4-1/2 cup.
Older eggs is also a good tip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics