Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD constantly scratching "down there"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 7:30 pm
Is the area red and sore? She may need florastor, a yeast pro-biotic taken daily to help out her insides. Some kids are prone to this.

Is she itching with a crawly feeling? She may have pinworms.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:28 pm
My 3 year old daughter's teacher keeps calling that she's touching herself down there. I don't see it much at home, but this teacher calls me about once a week to "discuss" what we can do about it. She called me today that she discussed it with the school counselor and she wants me to take her to the pediatrician to make sure it isn't medical.
I'm going a bit nuts I thought it was kind of normal for toddlers but the Morah keeps calling me about it.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 9:42 pm
It may be chaffed skin if she’s scratching and irritating it. Ask the dr if you can use a hydrocortisone cream to keep the itch away. Second thought it could be something like jock itch.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:09 pm
I would schedule a visit to a dermatologist.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
My 3 year old daughter's teacher keeps calling that she's touching herself down there. I don't see it much at home, but this teacher calls me about once a week to "discuss" what we can do about it. She called me today that she discussed it with the school counselor and she wants me to take her to the pediatrician to make sure it isn't medical.
I'm going a bit nuts I thought it was kind of normal for toddlers but the Morah keeps calling me about it.

Is your daughter in a Head Start program?
This sounds like my daughter’s school.
They send her to the school nurse for the slightest scratching, and then demand a note from the doctor stating she doesn’t have a contagious condition.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 10:33 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Is your daughter in a Head Start program?
This sounds like my daughter’s school.
They send her to the school nurse for the slightest scratching, and then demand a note from the doctor stating she doesn’t have a contagious condition.

Yeah she's in a head start. The teacher called me about this for the fourth or fifth time now. She's very young and just got her degree and seems to be very into everything, but calling a mom so often is too much.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:42 pm
OP here:
Update: I am not any closer to figuring this out....yet Sad
Pediatrician (third one in the practice to check on this) says the same as the others: There's no redness, no chafing, no sign whatsoever that anything is wrong. Hair growth is projected to be years away. She barely even has breast buds (I was in tenth grade when I got my period for the first time, and looks like she's on that same path). It's not pinworms.

The two things we are thinking are:
1- Weak core/pelvic floor muscles which are causing leaking and that is driving her nuts. (She just mentioned at the visit that she started leaking a tiny, tiny bit when she sneezes.) I have a visit to a urologist with experience in gynecology...but that's not until next month.
2- This may be a tic-like behavior. This is a child who at any given point in her life, since a very young age, has always had annoying repetitive habits. Usually, they're things like twirling her hair and picking her lips, but way back when she also had a repetitive cough that no doctor could figure out. And then it just disappeared after a couple of months. She tends to get anxious and easily stressed, and is especially stressed with school work now. (She's very studious straight A student.) In general these repetitive habits calm her. I wonder if this behavior is a manifestation of her anxiety. Perhaps it started out as a real issue of discomfort, but now has become a habit she can't stop. (She had been seeing a therapist for tantrums and low grade anxiety. She graduated from her therapist visits, but perhaps she needs to go back for a few visits.)

Wow, the more I write about this and read it back to myself, the more I'm thinking the second choice makes so much sense.

While doing more research today, I came across PANDAS and PANS, which I had completely forgotten to even ask the doctor about.

I just don't know how to get her to stop doing this. I have asked her millions of times to do this in her room or in the bathroom, but she cries that she can't sit in her room or the bathroom the entire day. I am losing my mind. I love her to death, but I am starting to not want to be around her, and I am distraught over that! I am also so stressed out about how this will affect her socially. She does it ALL DAY and is at a point where she doesn't care who notices. I am in pain for what she's going through. I am also mortified, both for her and for myself.

I can usually feel an emotion, acknowledge it, let it sit just a bit, and then move it along. With this, I am having so much trouble dealing! Having you all listen is cathartic! Thank you all!! I will update iy"H.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:52 pm
Wow I sound like a great mom and you certainly are persistent!!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:44 pm
Anxiety makes sense. Check with someone you trust to see if it may be self stim as a coping mechanism.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:45 am
The tic idea sounds very reasonable

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Wow I sound like a great mom and you certainly are persistent!!

Thank you Smile . I try my best, but always improving.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:32 pm
Dry skin?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:37 pm
I would take the kid off dairy and gluten. try an antihistamine. A round of pinworm medication. A round of nystatin even if you don't see yeast. And NAC in case it's a tic. One at a time so you see what works.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 10:41 pm
sounds like she found a way to get you and all the attention from you
you can try changing laundry detergent.
or you can detach. detach detach. zero recognition positive or negative about this.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 25 2020, 11:48 pm
If you're thinking this may be pandas, did you test her for strep-throat culture, vaginal swab, and blood?
Also, if it is in fact a tic, the most helpful thing to do is NOT mention it to her, ever. I know this is super hard. It's embarrassing for her and you. But really, you tried telling her dozens or hundreds of times and it hasn't helped. Perhaps it's time to try the other way now.

From another PANDAS mom, wishing you luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:48 pm
OP here. I completely forgot to post an update. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone with a similar issue. We saw a urologist with expertise in gynecology right before quarantine happened. She said my daughter has an enlarged clit0ris, which is not abnormal for her age, but because she is hypersensitive, she is constantly uncomfortable. The only thing we can do is apply desitin or similar cream and wait for the rest of her body to grow into its proper proportions.

applesbananas

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:27 pm
Wow! How strange! Why would an enlarged clit cause discomfort?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. I completely forgot to post an update. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone with a similar issue. We saw a urologist with expertise in gynecology right before quarantine happened. She said my daughter has an enlarged clit0ris, which is not abnormal for her age, but because she is hypersensitive, she is constantly uncomfortable. The only thing we can do is apply desitin or similar cream and wait for the rest of her body to grow into its proper proportions.

Why would that itch?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:05 am
I just wanted to say I have had the same problem my entire life. I have to constantly figure out how to get privacy to scratch. It’s only where the hair is. Nowhere else.
Hydrocortisone helped but only temporarily. I tried those itch stopping creams. Some burned or tingled. I tried aquaphor cream and spray. It’s torture. I constantly get holes in my underwear. Always the same spot. When I have to wear white undies sometimes there’s a little blood there even bec skin gets broken. So embarrassing. I wish Hashem would send me the cure. I’m a regular put together lady! Age 35, have five kids.
Have showed the Ob gyn the dermo etc. Nothing has ever helped. Yes cotton undies. Maybe it’s psoriasis it’s excema but the dermo did not say it is. Ughh

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Why would that itch?

It doesn't. I had mentioned this in my original post; she never complained of itching. Just discomfort, feeling like something is bothering her there, but not itchiness.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics