Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I think voicenotes are rude and obnoxious.
Previous  1  2  3  4

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 10:59 pm
singleagain wrote:
I think it makes a difference if it's just a k by itself. Or k got it. Type of thing.

It also might be generational and depends on if texting is a person's primary mode of communication.

I think its better then no response. at least you're acknowledging "I got your message and read it".

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:02 pm
Goodness gracious, just use ok. The O is near the K anyway, lol.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Feb 19 2020, 11:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Goodness gracious, just use ok. The O is near the K anyway, lol.

agree! I forgive people with flip phones & no keyboard though Wink and again, better then ignoring fully...

Teomima

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:53 am
I used to feel like you OP but now I find I'm often so busy I have a hard time finding some peace and quiet to sit and have a real phone conversation, but sometimes I want to communicate with someone more than just a quick text. Voice notes back and forth, whenever we reach have a few moments, have been a great way for me to have a conversation with a friend or relative at our own conveniences. Also, sometimes I'll have to get a message to someone and I don't have the ability to text at that exact moment, then voice messages can be very useful.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 4:21 am
I hate them too
Same way I hate to watch a news video clip etc.
Reading is so much quicker, more efficient and also more discreet.
I never inflict voicenotes on anyone if I can at all help it.

thanks

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 6:50 am
I use voice notes to make the message more personal than a text. The person hears my voice, and my tone and expression. I do this rather than call so the person can listen at their convinience.

rzab

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:34 am
I don't think they are rude, but I hate voicenotes! I totally get it for occasional use, like if you are giving someone directions or something you can be clearer on a voice note. But I have some friends who voicenote only and it's so annoying. Its much easier to read a message then to listen. I don't have time to always listen or if the kids are noisy I can't always hear it. I also hate that you can't search them. If you want to talk, call me. Otherwise please just send a text!

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:41 am
asmileaday wrote:
I ALWAYS assume Kk is a typo. Always. Never thought it's intentional.

Kk is from online gaming culture. It’s just another example a sling that people use but don’t know why they use it.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:14 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
agree! I forgive people with flip phones & no keyboard though Wink and again, better then ignoring fully...

I wonder if flip phones and t9 helped make it a thing and ppl just use it bc that's what they've always used.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:24 am
Most people use voice notes only occasionally when the answer is to long to type.
All those people using voice notes non stop are usually the type that don't get social cues. But rude? and obnoxious? I doubt it.

momomany

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:15 am
I dont like kk. Its sound to me like the texter is annoyed with me... I translate it as OK already!

Voice notes on whatsapp groups where most others spend the time to text are rude and lazy. I am not always in a situation where I can listen. Take the time to use voice to text instead. I dont mind personal voice notes from 1 person to me if its a long complicated mssg

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To me, a voice note says, "I don't have time to text you and you're not worth a phone call, so here's a voice note where I say my piece and you have to click to open it and listen."

How is that different from a voicemail? A voicemail is even more difficult to retrieve (in the grand scheme of things). I find that if texting isn't an option (handsfree, for example, or it's really long, or won't capture emotion, etc.), leaving a voice note allows the person to access it when they're available to listen. It's less disturbing or presumptuous than calling, I think.

What does bother me is that when I want to reply or look back at the conversation, I can't quickly glance or re-read, or whatever. But that wouldn't be different than a conversation I had by phone or voicemail, so I don't make it a big deal.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:19 pm
watergirl wrote:
Kk is from online gaming culture. It’s just another example a sling that people use but don’t know why they use it.

What was it?

I, too, am annoyed by it. I'd prefer "K" even.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:21 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Sometimes I hate them and sometimes they're great.

I like texts especially from clients because I can give a quick glance without going into it and see if it's something I can respond to now or wait for later.

When it's a voicenote, I have no idea what the content is. And once I listen to it 1- it's not a new message notification anymore, so I can forget to respond if I couldn't right at that moment. 2- the person sees that I listened to it and sometimes I don't want to/can't respond right away but I feel bad because that person knows I listened to it.

Voicenotes though are good when I have something a little more detailed to say and it would just take too long to type.

I believe you can turn that feature off.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:28 pm
singleagain wrote:
here I am using my voice to text and I'm not going to look and you see that there might be some confusion and it might not come out properly because it's very hard to voice to text and when you're you know quick although I admit I also do not like to listen to voice notes when there are other people around depending on what it is

This.

And then try throwing in some "Hebrish." Used to leave divrei Torah for a friend on her VM (we did for each other, unless we happened to catch the other one!), and her phone would transcribe her voicemails, and they were so hard to decipher, because of the terms thrown in...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette