Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:34 am
Ok. Four and a half month old twins here. 3 weeks preemie if that makes a difference. I NEED to get them on a schedule. Especially at night. I need to start having a life.
They play and eat and nap randomly during the day; never the same time as the day before. They do sleep more in the morning. In general, naps can be a few min to way way longer. One of them will usually eat late at night (close to midnight) and then wake up very early in the morning. The other wakes up in between.
Help me! Is it too early to somehow train them? They’re still in our room bc I don’t want to switch them to cribs in their room until they sleep thru the night for convenience, and sometimes a baby will cry but will fall back asleep if we put a paci in their mouth. Sometimes repeatedly.
Sometimes they have a long nap at like 8pm and then they get up at ten ready to party...

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:58 am
We had great luck with the method from the book the Happy Sleeper. At 4.5 months, we started some “pre-work” for sleep training like getting them used to a crib in their own room, stopped swaddling, etc, but I still fed on demand. Yes, it was less convenient, but it was very short term because a couple weeks later exactly at 5 months we sleep trained. It was life changing. Seriously. Hard to listen to crying but so worth it ultimately.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 1:04 am
I would start by asking your pediatrician. Good luck!!!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 6:17 am
tichellady wrote:
I would start by asking your pediatrician. Good luck!!!

Mazel tov, op!

this. Make sure ur kids are healthy and growing well before any sleep training.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 6:49 am
Definitely read Babywise book. Or look.up Babywise online. You need to start a Eat, Activity, Sleep cycle and try to fees both at same time.
At this age be very careful abt waketimes. I believe at this age still 3 naps a day.
This helped me with my twins so much. I knew exactly when napyime was, feedtime, etc.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:28 am
"sleep training" does not have to mean sleeping through the night, if your pediatrician doesn't think they're ready for that. It can mean taking nice naps, going to sleep at 7 on their own, waking up once in the middle of the night to eat and go back to sleep, and then waking up at 7 am.

Personally, I like kinderwink philosophy, and have learned a lot from her. But there are tons of resources.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:34 am
Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525.....BGDA1

I wrote about this yesterday on a diff thread. Very quick read. A few easy steps. Bh my baby will be 3 months tomorrow and wakes 1 time a night. Plan to cut that feeding soon. My baby was 2 weeks 5 days early if that matters. Doc said 10 lbs and 25 oz in 24 hours and im ok to sleep train. He even recommends it

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:18 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525.....BGDA1

I wrote about this yesterday on a diff thread. Very quick read. A few easy steps. Bh my baby will be 3 months tomorrow and wakes 1 time a night. Plan to cut that feeding soon. My baby was 2 weeks 5 days early if that matters. Doc said 10 lbs and 25 oz in 24 hours and im ok to sleep train. He even recommends it

This book doesn’t work for most babies. I know my friends swear about it but many doctors advise not to use it. If it works for yours, great, but if it’s not working, then drop it

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:29 am
tichellady wrote:
This book doesn’t work for most babies. I know my friends swear about it but many doctors advise not to use it. If it works for yours, great, but if it’s not working, then drop it

I hear... not sure why it wouldn't work. Its hard and annoying like all sleep training is but then you reap the benefits..

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:31 am
tichellady wrote:

When friends swear by it it means it works for them. Like anything, of it doesn’t work try something else.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
When friends swear by it it means it works for them. Like anything, of it doesn’t work try something else.

Well I think if I had used it my baby would have starved, but I’m glad I had the sechel to realize that

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:08 pm
Just to clarify, when we sleep trained we chose not to night wean. Babies that young may very well still need food at night! But, even just dropping the comfort feeds so that there were only 1-2 real meals was a game changer for us.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:17 pm
tichellady wrote:
Well I think if I had used it my baby would have starved, but I’m glad I had the sechel to realize that

Exactly many babies have anemia or undiagnosed issues. If there are any weight gain or feeding problems cry it out is extremely cruel.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:27 pm
12 hours for babies to go that long on breast milk sounds horrific honestly. Please don’t recommend that book... ( unless I’m missing something here) sounds cruel to starve babies for that long.....breast milk gets digested so so fast...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics