Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
12 yr old Upper Lip: How to Treat
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:27 pm
She has a very low tolerance level for pain. Can't imagine she'd do more than 1 second of laser.

What are the options?

Do creams really work? (The one time I tried for myself it didn't). If you use creams, please recommend specific products.

Does bleaching work? If so, which products?

tweety1

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:29 pm
I was told not to touch before getting the period a few times cuz then it can grow back.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:30 pm
Can you describe how thick and dark the hair is? And if she fair skinned or darker?

hodeez

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:31 pm
Jolen bleach works.

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:34 pm
Waxing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:36 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Can you describe how thick and dark the hair is? And if she fair skinned or darker?

darkish skin, but not very dark. dark brown hair.
I don't think she will tolerate waxing at this point.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:43 pm
What does she want to do?

If she wants to remove the hair, she may tolerate pain. If she doesn't care, or can't deal with pain, let it be.

She can try hair removal creams, threading, or hard wax (much less painful than soft wax)

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

If she wants to remove the hair, she may tolerate pain. If she doesn't care, or can't deal with pain, let it be.

This.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:50 pm
Electrolysis is best if she can take an Advil and numbing cream. Otherwise bleach until she is old enough for it to really matter

Elfrida

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

She can try hair removal creams, threading, or hard wax (much less painful than soft wax)

What I was thinking also. Let her know the options, and the pros and cons of each one. Then she can choose. She might change her mind and be more willing to accept the pain in a few years, but want something mild for now. She might even not consider it important at the moment, and be quite willing to to nothing for now.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 4:06 pm
First yes. Does she want.

Then there are facial hair shavers. I actually use one on my upper lip .. I got sometu like this from a local store.. might have been different brand

Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer for Women ES2113PC, with Pivoting Head and Eyebrow Trimmer Attachments, Dry Use, Battery-Operated https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....Y19SM

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 4:59 pm
She can bleach it. Threading is more painful than waxing.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 5:19 pm
I use a facial shaver as well. Always used to thread and it was SO PAINFUL for the lip area. Was on acne medication so couldn’t even wax was soo happy to try out the shaver. Very quick easy and pain free. Since it is technically shaving it will grow back quick so she or you have to be on top it and shave weekly or every two weeks depending on her hair type

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 5:32 pm
As others have posted, it really is up to her.

The least painful method is bleaching with the stuff meant for upper lip or the chemical depilatories like Nair

Waxing is painful but only for a second and not nearly as painful as bikini waxing because it is essentially once or twice or done.

A permanent solution would be laser or electrolysis. These are both moderately painful but not unbearable.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 6:50 pm
If she can't laser/ electrolysis then I vote for waxing. But you should point out strongly that the laser is a few times and done for life pretty much while all other options are a regular task all the time.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
If she can't laser/ electrolysis then I vote for waxing. But you should point out strongly that the laser is a few times and done for life pretty much while all other options are a regular task all the time.

Laser on the upper lip does not last.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:09 pm
Electrolysis on the upper lip is effective and less painful IMO than laser because it targets one hair at a time. When my dd started she tolerated 2 hairs each side. Now she is a champ, 5 minutes each side, mostly done and fewer growing back.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:22 pm
I've got a hair removal salon.

I would recommend bleaching at this age and then start electrolysis when she hits puberty - although give it some time like half a year/year for hormones to settle.

She can apply some numbing cream the first few times but its not too healthy as it thins the skin and its good for client to feel sensation so can know if insertion of needle is wrong.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:32 am
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, and especially single again for the link and wine for sharing your expertise.
And thank you all for the concern about DD.
She's the one who brought it up and I'm glad that I can get back to her with the options.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I've got a hair removal salon.

I would recommend bleaching at this age and then start electrolysis when she hits puberty - although give it some time like half a year/year for hormones to settle.

She can apply some numbing cream the first few times but its not too healthy as it thins the skin and its good for client to feel sensation so can know if insertion of needle is wrong.

I'm not a professional but just having general knowledge and doing hair removal myself I would second this.
Jolen is great. when her hormones settle she can try something more permanent. she may also mature in those years and be able to tolerate pain better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics