Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lev Bais Yaakov vs BYA Preschool

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:46 am
Hi,

I am debating between Lev and BYA for my 3.5 year old DD for next year. A bit about our "type"-
Older DS is in Chofetz Chaim first grade. My husband and I both work and can afford full tuition BH but we are not wealthy. We keep up with general trends but not designer. DD will have shabbos clothes from kidichic , lil legs, zara, hm, but I would never buy her $100 shabbos dress... DH learns with a chevrusa about once a week. I don't wear tights in the summer. We don't have a TV but kids sometimes watch on computer.
I feel like hashkafically Lev is a good fit but I am worried about :
1. Academics
2. Befriending families that are mainstream and not very very different than us (not that there is anything wrong with different but I would like her to have friends that are in our circles).

My primary concern about BYA is that it is very yeshivish?

Any advice would be helpful

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 12:36 pm
As a BYA parent, I wouldn't describe it as VERY yeshivish (that's more for Bnos Yisroel), but you still would probably be on the left side of the parent body and would probably fit in better at Lev.

Regardless of your preference, you should know that both schools are extremely in demand, and acceptance should not be taken for granted. I'd suggest applying to both, and perhaps to a 3rd school as well, just to make sure DD will have somewhere to go next year. Halevai you should get in to both Lev and BYA, and then you can try to ask around to find out more about the kids in next year's classes at each.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:43 pm
Thank you for the reply! BH we are accepted. Hm I definitely wouldn't want to be the most left in the class. Nor would I want to be the most right. Not sure which angle is better to come in as. Is BYA very nitpicky/punitive with these things (internet /watching at home... mother wearing tights in summer...) or do they generally leave you alone if you totally abide by their rules in school.

Anyone know any incoming kindergartners in either school?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 7:47 pm
My girls are in Lev and Im sending one to kindergarten next year. There is nothing like Morah Michelle. It depends what you are looking for in a school. Lev preschool is an extremely warm place no other school comes close. But academically bya is much stronger then Lev

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:05 pm
I'm the BYA parent above. BYA isn't likely to be spying on you via PI's and won't be harassing you unless we're talking about something egregious, definitely not how you dress in the summer, and also not what you show your kids, assuming you use decent judgment about what's appropriate, and they use decent judgment about what they share with their teachers and classmates.

That said, I still think that the overwhelming majority of BYA fathers learn more than once a week, and some are still in full-time kollel, and while I'm sure there are mothers who don't always wear tights and may be more lax when they go away, I don't think there are so many that would say they have a policy not to wear in the summer at all.

This is why I said that I think you'll still be within the bell curve of parents, but probably a couple of standard deviations to the left of the average. The school isn't likely to come after you for it, but you and/or DDs may feel uncomfortable over time to be in that position, or feel pressure to conform. In a place like Lev you will be much more typical among the parent body.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
My girls are in Lev and Im sending one to kindergarten next year. There is nothing like Morah Michelle. It depends what you are looking for in a school. Lev preschool is an extremely warm place no other school comes close. But academically bya is much stronger then Lev

Yes, I absolutely LOVED Morah Michele at the interview and I do think my DD would benefit greatly from that sort of warm environment.

Are your older girls happy? Do you like the parent body?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 8:43 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I'm the BYA parent above. BYA isn't likely to be spying on you via PI's and won't be harassing you unless we're talking about something egregious, definitely not how you dress in the summer, and also not what you show your kids, assuming you use decent judgment about what's appropriate, and they use decent judgment about what they share with their teachers and classmates.

That said, I still think that the overwhelming majority of BYA fathers learn more than once a week, and some are still in full-time kollel, and while I'm sure there are mothers who don't always wear tights and may be more lax when they go away, I don't think there are so many that would say they have a policy not to wear in the summer at all.

This is why I said that I think you'll still be within the bell curve of parents, but probably a couple of standard deviations to the left of the average. The school isn't likely to come after you for it, but you and/or DDs may feel uncomfortable over time to be in that position, or feel pressure to conform. In a place like Lev you will be much more typical among the parent body.

This was really helpful, I like how you worded it especially that last paragraph.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, I absolutely LOVED Morah Michele at the interview and I do think my DD would benefit greatly from that sort of warm environment.

Are your older girls happy? Do you like the parent body?

My girls are happy and I love Mrs fishman the Hebrew principal. I’m more to the right of the parent body. I wear stockings in the summer, my husband learns daily.

I actually debated sending my younger one to bya but decided I couldn’t leave Morah Michelle. One of my classes is more modern then me but the nicest sweetest down to earth people.

pgk

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 9:35 pm
Another reply from a bya parent, just be aware while I am satisfied overall with the school I am not impressed by the preschool at all. Yes the school is probably more academic than lev but do not expect to be thrilled with the preschool.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the reply! BH we are accepted. Hm I definitely wouldn't want to be the most left in the class. Nor would I want to be the most right. Not sure which angle is better to come in as. Is BYA very nitpicky/punitive with these things (internet /watching at home... mother wearing tights in summer...) or do they generally leave you alone if you totally abide by their rules in school.

Anyone know any incoming kindergartners in either school?

I have dd's in BYA, I have never seen a BYA mother not wearing tights in the summer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics