Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Coronavirus local financial impact

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 17 2020, 12:20 am
How do expect the coronavirus to affect you?
Kashrus/food?
Summer clothing?
Work?
Medicine?

DH installs a specific technology. It’s out of stock. The us importer said they stocked up before the new year but ran out already. And it’s not just a matter of waiting for the factory to reopen. The factory needs their raw supplies. So it will be awhile. This is causing DH to push off some large jobs.

Someone who manufactures their own line of clothing under 2 names was getting really nervous as not all their summer inventory has been manufactured or shipped.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 5:50 am
One would imagine the impact could be staggering globally.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 6:58 am
Now that China is the manufacturing powerhouse of the planet, the world's supply chain is under threat.

I am curious about the impact on Kashrut... not sure I am aware of the connection there. OP, why did you cite that aspect specifically?

The outbreak also impacts business travel, tourism, etc.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:25 am
DrMom wrote:
Now that China is the manufacturing powerhouse of the planet, the world's supply chain is under threat.

I am curious about the impact on Kashrut... not sure I am aware of the connection there. OP, why did you cite that aspect specifically?

The outbreak also impacts business travel, tourism, etc.

The leading hechsherim are constantly there. Now no one is going.
I read a few articles. In America new square said they want to kasher a plant at the start of the outbreak but the factory wasn’t allowed to make product. They haven’t been back.
I also read that a large Israeli hechsher (don’t remember which) said they aren’t sending anyone now to certify food.
A lot of kosher food is manufactured in China.

I’ve also noticed Some Jewish clothing stores are running low on pesach clothing. I keep calling and they keep saying they’re shipments are late and they don’t know when it’s coming.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:29 am
As much as people here may scoff, it could end up having an effect on the presidential election. That's always the bottom line. (Remember "it's the economy, stupid" back from Bill Clinton's days?)
And if things get bad here (and the U.S. is so dependent on China for the economy) you may be looking at a President Sanders. Or whoever is the democratic nominee.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics