Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Poconos for a couple 2 day getaway

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:06 pm
HI! Whoever im asking about a local trip next to new york is giving me the option of ocean place or Poconos. Does anyone know where in the Poconos is nice and good to stay at and what there is to do around the area? I dont need much entertainment..
What about a minyan?
Restaurants?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 11:21 pm
If you want minyan and resteraunts, Ocean Place is the better option. There are no restaurants in the Poconos and no guarenteed minyanim.

cuties' mom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 7:36 am
Mountain Laurel resort in the Poconos is very nice. There is a chabad around ten minutes a way with minyanim. I don't know of any kosher restaurants, but if you don't keep chalav yisrael or pas yisrael, you could buy bagels, cream cheese, string cheese, cereal, milk, etc at a local supermarket. As far as entertainment, I went in the summer and there was enough to do in the resort that we didn't need to go elsewhere. There's a game room with arcades, ping pong, air hockey, and pool. The swimming pools were empty most of the time so dh was able to take the kids swimming. There's horseback riding and hiking trails. They also had tons of brochures for things to do in the area, but we didn't bother with them. I don't know how it is in the winter.

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:59 am
The only year-round minyanim I know of in the Poconos are at Congregation Sons of Israel in Allentown, and a few shuls in Scranton. We recently stayed at a nice hotel in Bethlehem (about 15 minutes from the shul in Allentown) and went to Blue Mountain (about 30 minutes away), which has great skiing and snowtubing. It's also very close to Crayola Factory which is perfect for little ones. We didn't make it, but there's a cave in the area called Lost River Caverns. We brought all our own food.

Someone told DH that there's a year-round minyan in Stroudsberg, but he couldn't find any information about it. I'm not familiar with the Chabad minyan mentioned above, but would love to hear if it's available year-round. Definitely double-check, as several of the advertised minyan options there are only for the summer.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:11 am
scranton shuls are beth shalom synagogue

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:20 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
scranton shuls are beth shalom synagogue

These shuls can be a 1/2 hour or more drive from the hotels in the poconos. That's at least 2 hours every time he goes to daven.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 2:04 pm
doctorima wrote:
The only year-round minyanim I know of in the Poconos are at Congregation Sons of Israel in Allentown, and a few shuls in Scranton. We recently stayed at a nice hotel in Bethlehem (about 15 minutes from the shul in Allentown) and went to Blue Mountain (about 30 minutes away), which has great skiing and snowtubing. It's also very close to Crayola Factory which is perfect for little ones. We didn't make it, but there's a cave in the area called Lost River Caverns. We brought all our own food.

Someone told DH that there's a year-round minyan in Stroudsberg, but he couldn't find any information about it. I'm not familiar with the Chabad minyan mentioned above, but would love to hear if it's available year-round. Definitely double-check, as several of the advertised minyan options there are only for the summer.

Which hotel did you stay in that made sense regarding the distance to Blue Mountain and the minyan?
What sort of food do you bring along and how do you reheat?
Any good tips when at Blue Mountain?

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 27 2020, 3:24 pm
We stayed in Bethlehem because we had a free night certificate for a hotel there that was expiring. It was about 15-20 minutes to minyan, and about 35 to Blue Mt. There are plenty of great chain hotels there - Holiday Inn, Courtyard, Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, and Allentown has most of these chains as well if you want to be closer to minyan.

Blue Mt. has great skiing and snowtubing, and it's really empty midweek. They also offer night skiing if you're interested. If you buy tickets in advance on their website, it can often be even cheaper. If you're skiing, there are cheaper rentals available at a store at the bottom of the mountain.

As for food, we didn't go for so long. We brought a small toaster and used it to make pizza, and our room came with a refrigerator and microwave (if you want to warm up double-wrapped food), plus the hotel offered free breakfast that included some kosher items. For lunch at Blue Mt. we brought bagels that we picked up in Brooklyn as we were leaving, and we brought lots of snacks as well.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Feb 28 2020, 11:22 am
thanks for the info, appreciated!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics