Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Great Jewish novels!
1  2  3  Next

tryingmybest100

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:06 am
In need of some great reads that I can enjoy over shabbos and look forward to!
I don’t enjoy reading in general so it has to be very enticing to keep me going.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 2:01 am
Meir uri Gottesman recently came out with a new book called "the Chase"
All of his books are great, and this has his signature style.
I also like books by Etka Gittel Schwartz and Sara Weiderblank.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Meir uri Gottesman recently came out with a new book called "the Chase"
All of his books are great, and this has his signature style.
I also like books by Etka Gittel Schwartz and Sara Weiderblank.

I read The Chase and I thought, yes, he's back! But it's at least 2 years old already, IIRC.
Name the Stars by Penina Weiser is a new book. It's probably more middle school than adult or older teen (like The Chase) but it was a really lovely read.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:00 am
The Betrayal by M. Kenan ( there are 2 other books in the series - The Outcast and The Dark Secrets)

Such a great series! The 2nd book (The Outcast)is my favorite.

Frumme

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:04 am
I've heard really good things about Full Harvest by Etka Gitel Schwartz. Just need to get my hands on a copy!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
The Betrayal by M. Kenan ( there are 2 other books in the series - The Outcast and The Dark Secrets)

Such a great series! The 2nd book (The Outcast)is my favorite.

Frumme wrote:
I've heard really good things about Full Harvest by Etka Gitel Schwartz. Just need to get my hands on a copy!

These are my favorites!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:15 pm
OP, how up to date are you in your reading? Because there are many wonderful books I can think of that are a few years older and more.

ETA: I just came back. I second Freefall, which is relatively new. (Along with others suggested, but I'm trying to keep within the last year or so.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:16 pm
Freefall by Miriam Zakon

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:20 pm
Flashback by Gita Gordon
Wildflower by Rachel Pomerantz

Just One

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:40 pm
If we're going for older my absolute favorite novel is Sun Inside Rain. I think it's the best written most stirring Jewish novel of all time

Just One

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:43 pm
Books by EG Schwartz are really good too. Does anybody know if the civil war era story previously serialized in the Bina has been printed in book form yet?

mommy9

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:52 pm
No it wasn't. Anything by devora glicksman

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:06 pm
Just One wrote:
If we're going for older my absolute favorite novel is Sun Inside Rain. I think it's the best written most stirring Jewish novel of all time

Yes, was going to say this one!
Also second the votes for EG Schwartz

tothepoint

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:17 pm
My absolute favorite is Final Judgement (Merkin). Very captivating and well thought out plot

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:17 pm
Etka Gitel Schwartz is a very talented writer, possibly the MOST talented frum writer out there. That being said, her books aren't for everyone. I love reading but personally found some of her books too heavy for me. The last one serialized in the Binah on the South African veldt especially, was a bit too heavy for me to follow along with all the details. I did try, though, from Chapter 1 all the way through the end. My favorite was Shortchanged. Since OP doesn't enjoy reading, she may want/need something lighter.
I loved Freefall when I read it serialized in the Family First.
Another of my favorite authors is Sara Weiderblank. I loved all of her books. I'm in middle of The Secretary now and am really enjoying it.

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:20 pm
I’m a very critical reader and I agree about sun inside rain. Also all the E.G. Schwartz books. Just finished reading invisible me by tzipi Caton. It’s geared more towards teens but it’s an excellent, non typical book

Just One

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:38 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Etka Gitel Schwartz is a very talented writer, possibly the MOST talented frum writer out there. That being said, her books aren't for everyone. I love reading but personally found some of her books too heavy for me. The last one serialized in the Binah on the South African veldt especially, was a bit too heavy for me to follow along with all the details. I did try, though, from Chapter 1 all the way through the end. My favorite was Shortchanged. Since OP doesn't enjoy reading, she may want/need something lighter.
I loved Freefall when I read it serialized in the Family First.
Another of my favorite authors is Sara Weiderblank. I loved all of her books. I'm in middle of The Secretary now and am really enjoying it.

I agree with what your saying. Etka Gittel's plots move very slowly

SuperWify

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:41 pm
Chains by Leah Gebber and really anything written by her.

Just One

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I’m a very critical reader and I agree about sun inside rain. Also all the E.G. Schwartz books. Just finished reading invisible me by tzipi Caton. It’s geared more towards teens but it’s an excellent, non typical book

I would call myself a critical reader too. Hard to find good kosher reading material. I love historical fiction with a human interest twist. But needs to be extremely well written. Sarah Wiederblank just doesn't cut it. Any suggestions?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:46 pm
Just One wrote:
I would call myself a critical reader too. Hard to find good kosher reading material. I love historical fiction with a human interest twist. But needs to be extremely well written. Sarah Wiederblank just doesn't cut it. Any suggestions?

An older book, but Mirror Image by Shevy Schottenstein.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics