Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Michal for a future baby girl in chasidish community
1  2  3  4  5  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:17 pm
I want to name my future daughter Michal.
I love the sound of it
But I was told that it’s a boy name.
But I know women who are named Michal! And Dovid haMelechs wife was called Michal.

Is it common or should I just not care and name my kid Michal and deal with it; or name my future daughter another name to not deal with rude people?

ETA : I’m not pregnant

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:21 pm
My grandmother is Michal and so is my cousin. The name they are probably referring to is Michel with an e. Very different.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:23 pm
Michoel is a boys name but of course chassidim pronounce it differently. Michal though biblical is definitely not a chaddish name but not one can tell you not to care. We can’t speak to how insular your community is. Conversely I do find it odd when I meet a MO Frumy or Hinda. But you have the right to name any child what you want

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 8:56 pm
I know of a chassidish Michala. Which I’m assuming is a nickname for Michal

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:03 pm
Michal is a beautiful name but it is uncommon in chassidish communities. So you have to be ok with your child having an uncommon name, and how she might feel.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:08 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I know of a chassidish Michala. Which I’m assuming is a nickname for Michal

It isn't. Michla is a separate name, unrelated to Michal.

It's true that Michal is not used so often in the chassidish world. It's still a female name. I know lots of girls and women named Michal. Michel and Michoel are male names which are used by Chassidim.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Michoel is a boys name but of course chassidim pronounce it differently. Michal though biblical is definitely not a chaddish name but not one can tell you not to care. We can’t speak to how insular your community is. Conversely I do find it odd when I meet a MO Frumy or Hinda. But you have the right to name any child what you want

Everyone has a right to name their children the way they want. But...

איזהו חכם? הרואה את הנולד

A smart person can think with a vision for the future.

If a child comes from a rich home with everything going her way or there is potential that she will be the most picked up girl then her name wont be such an issue.

If a child comes from a not so rich home or she wont be so picked up but a bunch of her cousins will have the same name and they will be going to the same school then the name will hopefully not be an issue.

BUT...
If a child already has a different background and will not have anyone in her circle with that name why put her into more potential trouble? Why? What's the purpose?

No OP. Dont make your child stand out. Just don't.

Dont name a chassidish girl Michal.
Name her Sury or Rikki or Layla or Rochi if you must pick from the Torah but don't name her anything that will make her feel like an outcast.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:12 pm
It’s a name from the Torah so even if its not common it would still be accepted.
In my family there are a lot of Michals named after a grandmother so I happen to be used to it.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
It’s a name from the Torah so even if its not common it would still be accepted.
In my family there are a lot of Michals named after a grandmother so I happen to be used to it.

Do they go to chassidish schools like Satmar?

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:28 pm
Thing is I don’t like the chasidish sounding names lol idk it just not what I’m used to
See I moved into a more relaxed open minded community where there are people with a wide range of hashkafas living together
So I’m more used to names like
The names of our foremothers (Sarah rivkah rochel leah)
Tziporah
Ayala
Chaya
Zehava
Miriam (which is my first name)
Esther
Bracha
Yocheved
Dina
Deena
Kayla
Shulamis aka Shuli
Yael
Orah
Olga
Rina (also a potential future daughters name iyH)

I’m not used to names like
Suri
Ruchy
Chumy
Neni
Zelda
Hentchy
Shprintza
Charna

I like the name adel and ella tho but I won’t name my kid that.

We already stand out...and I like my kid to be unique and not just another esti rochel lol

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:30 pm
Not to derail, but I've often wondered why some Torah names are not common in certain circles. Like Michal, Avigail and Tamar..they are from the Torah just as much as Sara, Rivka, Rochel and Leah.
I know someone who named his daughter Tamar, and his chassidish rosh kollel berated him and asked him why he gave a "modern" name. He looked at him in shock. "Dont you know Tamar is in the Torah? What's modern about it??"
Truly, Shaindy, Frumy and Hindy are the modern names!!

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:33 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thing is I don’t like the chasidish sounding names lol idk it just not what I’m used to
See I moved into a more relaxed open minded community where there are people with a wide range of hashkafas living together
Tziporah
Ayala
Chaya
Zehava
Esther
Bracha
Yocheved
Dina
Deena
Kayla
Shulamis aka Shuli
Yael
Orah
Olga

Suri
Ruchy
Chumy
Neni
Zelda
Hentchy
Shprintza
Charna

We already stand out...and I like my kid to be unique and not just another esti rochel lol

So dont give any of those Yiddish or Hungarian names.
If she is going to go to a chassidish school, whether it is Satmar Bobov or Belz doesnt really matter, if its chassidish she wont feel unique with a name like Yael or Michal.
She will feel like an outcast.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:46 pm
Im from lakewood and I just named my daughter after a grandmother with a unique biblical name. Peoples reactions are priceless .... (think osnas.. not that but that idea)

pause

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:49 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Tziporah
Ayala
Chaya
Zehava
Esther
Bracha
Yocheved
Dina
Deena
Kayla

Shulamis aka Shuli
Yael
Orah
Olga

The bolded are common names used. Typically these names are shortened to end in a "y" like Tziporah becomes Tzipoiry or Tzippy and Esther becomes Esty and Bracha becomes Bruchy. But there are Chaya's and Esther's and Dina's in every class too.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:50 pm
Whaaaaat?? Why would she feel like an outcast? I posted a question not long ago in the chasidish forum here on this site of kids of geirim are accepted fully
And they said everyone accepts everyone. No one feels like an outcast etc

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:53 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Whaaaaat?? Why would she feel like an outcast? I posted a question not long ago in the chasidish forum here on this site of kids of geirim are accepted fully

Not sure which community you live in but if you want her to blend into a chassidish community then you have to make sure she doesnt stand out.

Maybe ask an open minded chassidish rav?

Angel

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:02 pm
I had a chassidish classmate michali. Now that u mentioned it I only know 2 chassidish michals. But never gave it a second thought that its not a name in the chassidish community

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:07 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Sorry, but they weren’t honest. TMI

nchr

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:20 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Tziporah
Ayala
Chaya
Zehava
Esther
Bracha
Yocheved
Dina
Deena
Kayla
Shulamis aka Shuli
Yael
Orah
Olga

Suri
Ruchy
Chumy
Neni
Zelda
Hentchy
Shprintza
Charna

I'm Satmar. The following names are totally common and were on your list.

The names of our foremothers (Sarah rivkah rochel leah) Tziporah, Chaya, Miriam, Esther, Bracha, Yocheved, Dina, Deena, Kayla. I do know a Shulamis but it is not common at all.

Michal is biblical so it is not a no no like Zehava which is Ivrit (as opposed to Lashon Hakodesh). However, it would still stand out. I do not know any Michal's personally. I'd probably recommend if you do that name that you give her a nickname like Micky.

Still, parents have a right to name their kids as they please. There are plenty of other names that are fine and not rare in Chassidish circles that you may like as well if you brainstorm.

Also, you say you like names of the imahos but don't like Sury or Ruchy - is it the pronunciation you have an issue with? If that is the case, try a name that is pronounced the same like Bina, Hadassa, Shifra, Basya, Tzipora, Chana, etc. as opposed to Bracha, Leah, Ruchel, Nechama, Rochma, etc.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 11:26 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Sorry, but they weren’t honest. TMI

True
I didn't post there but the responses were very one dimensional because it wasn't an anon enabled thread.

Nchr Micky ain't gonna fly in Satmar high school. Makes me doubt your Satmarishkeit.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names