Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Sefer Torah Donation with conditions

chocolatine

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 10:46 am
We have someone who wants to donate a sefer torah to our new shul (we’ve been borrowing until now)
He said we need to have a Aron Kodesh that is a safe and also insurance
Anybody have an idea how much such an Aron Kodesh would cost? And What kind of insurance would I be looking into?
Thanks!

shluchamom

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:06 am
Insurance isn't very expensive. You need to have it appraised and submit that and ask for a religious article coverage and make sure there's no depreciation clause as a Sefer Torah doesn't go down in value.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:16 am
I think that is a great idea!

chocolatine

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 11:22 am
shluchamom wrote:
Insurance isn't very expensive. You need to have it appraised and submit that and ask for a religious article coverage and make sure there's no depreciation clause as a Sefer Torah doesn't go down in value.

Thanks for this info!
Would you know where I would get an appraisal?

Elfrida

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 1:45 pm
It might be an option to have an Aron Kodesh and a separate safe, where the Sefer Torah would be stored when not in use.

They are very valuable, so the insurance company would probably insist on a safe regardless of the donor. See how much more it would cost to have the safe fireproof.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:06 pm
Some shuls have a gun safe installed in the aron kodesh due to the size of the sefer torah, it fits in such a safe nicely.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

ROFL

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:06 pm
Our shul has an Aron Kodesh that is built like a safe. It is fireproof and has a lock on it.

ChutzPAh

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:24 pm
I didn’t know there were still shuls that didn’t keep their sifrei torah in a safe. That is very standard.

octopus

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:34 pm
These are reasonable conditions! I was thinking maybe it is something bogus, but it is not.

shluchamom

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 4:52 pm
chocolatine wrote:
Thanks for this info!
Would you know where I would get an appraisal?

Any legitimate official sofer or someone who sells sifre torah as a business. Ask the person where the sefer torah is coming from and see if they can provide you with an official appraisal.

chocolatine

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 7:31 pm
I am not at all saying these aren’t reasonable, just trying to figure out how much this would cost us
We are a very small community with young families and trying to see if we can afford this.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 7:40 pm
Your shul should have a safe Aron kodesh even for a borrowed Sefer Torah. Otherwise it’s a huge liability .

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:48 am
chocolatine wrote:
I am not at all saying these aren’t reasonable, just trying to figure out how much this would cost us
We are a very small community with young families and trying to see if we can afford this.

How do you store your current (borrowed) Sefer Torah? And what recompense would you be able to make to the owner if anything happened to it?

A safe will probably cost, but it should be a one time expense. Perhaps you could have a fundraising campaign specifically for the new Aron Kodesh and Sefer Torah. Anything left over could go towards the insurance. Check with the insurance company what kind of safe they would require. As you go on, the insurance would become part of the general running expenses. As others have stated above, if you have the correct storage conditions the insurance should not add too much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics