Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Travel insurance

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 12:53 pm
Would you get insurance for a domestic trip?

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:00 pm
Not unless you have a specific concern about your health or the safety of the destination. And even then, I'd make sure to read the fine print of the policy, as many conditions you would assume are included are actually not covered. Many credit cards provide varying levels of travel insurance if you use them to book a flight (Chase Sapphire Reserve is one of the best) for no additional charge.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 1:12 pm
For a cruise yes but not directly from
The cruise line

meme6

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:56 pm
I do since it covers luggage damage or lost and stolen luggage. Also your insurance will not cover an out of state issue. It’s so cheap that it pays to invest

tichellady

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 4:59 pm
No

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 5:05 pm
meme6 wrote:
I do since it covers luggage damage or lost and stolen luggage. Also your insurance will not cover an out of state issue. It’s so cheap that it pays to invest

Makes sense! Thanks

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 5:06 pm
doctorima wrote:
Not unless you have a specific concern about your health or the safety of the destination. And even then, I'd make sure to read the fine print of the policy, as many conditions you would assume are included are actually not covered. Many credit cards provide varying levels of travel insurance if you use them to book a flight (Chase Sapphire Reserve is one of the best) for no additional charge.

Does one state insurance get covered in another in case of emergency?

Amarante

Post Fri, Feb 21 2020, 6:01 pm
No. What would I be insuring against.

People insure for foreign travel because of health insurance. I had a friend who broke her hip in Rome and it covered her transportation back to the States. Most health insurance doesn’t cover you outside the US, especially for expensive medical transport. It is pretty inexpensive to get it even for older people because so few people actually ever use it.

I don’t know anyone who insures when they travel to another state. In an emergency, your health insurance would cover you in another state even if out of network.

In the event I was robbed or lost my luggage, my homeowners policy would cover me.

singleagain

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 7:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
No. What would I be insuring against.

People insure for foreign travel because of health insurance. I had a friend who broke her hip in Rome and it covered her transportation back to the States. Most health insurance doesn’t cover you outside the US, especially for expensive medical transport. It is pretty inexpensive to get it even for older people because so few people actually ever use it.

I don’t know anyone who insures when they travel to another state. In an emergency, your health insurance would cover you in another state even if out of network.

In the event I was robbed or lost my luggage, my homeowners policy would cover me.

Live in Jersey. Went to visit a friend in MO. Had to go to an urgent care, and got charged. Am now trying to get insurance to cover, since they told me to go to this urgent care. So I'd suggest to check insurance for places they cover and also, make sure if you go to an urgent care they bill you as urgent and not as regular office visit. Which is what happened to me.

doctorima

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does one state insurance get covered in another in case of emergency?

In my experience yes, but each credit card will have its own rules, so always read the fine print in advance (same as with any travel insurance policy, which will also have many exceptions you won't want to learn about the hard way). As mentioned above, Chase Sapphire Reserve has very generous and comprehensive travel insurance protections as long as you used the card to pay for it.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:10 pm
I bought insurance for a domestic trip. As it turns out I was not able to travel (my doctor advised against it.) He gave me a note and I filed a claim and was reimbursed for the cost of the tickets.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I bought insurance for a domestic trip. As it turns out I was not able to travel (my doctor advised against it.) He gave me a note and I filed a claim and was reimbursed for the cost of the tickets.

Travel insurance may not be worth it if you're buying $99 tickets. In our case, our tickets were over $1000 and we were happy to receive the refund check.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:34 pm
where do you buy travel insurance I read its not good to buy it directly from the company it is covered for

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Feb 22 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
where do you buy travel insurance I read its not good to buy it directly from the company it is covered for

Many travel agents sell it.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:52 am
I bought the tickets online and had the option to add insurance at checkout.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics