Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
New kitchen advice

smily

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:49 am
Planning a new kitchen
Any advice of what is very useful to know and what not to do.
How well is center Island liked or peninsula?
Any advice welcomed

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:56 am
I love love my island. If you have room for an island it's a must.

yersp

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:01 am
Depending on size of kitchen an island is very helpful.
Make sure to leave room somewhere like by side of fridge for broom and shovel or have a closet special just for that
Garbage cans: I hate the one I have that it's in a cabinet. It comes with 2 small cans and I cant cook like that. Im used to having cans next to me. I saw the following design by my aunt and regret not doing in my own kitchen: designate a space by side of a cabinet that it should be an emtpy space but from front it should have a panel so it looks like part of the kitchen but from side you can put can there.
A dishwasher is only a must if you have the space. For me it was either drawer space or dishwasher. I chose drawers.
Regarding appliances: I have the GE stove with 5 burners. I hate it hate hate it HATE IT!
The grates you can't clean normally with steel wool, only by soaking in ammonia. I hate the smell of it so I gotta lug those heavy huge grates to the bathtub to soak in hot water and detergent. They're very heavy. I used to have a hotpoint oven with 4 grates. They were a breeze to clean. The 5th middle grate on GE is a waste of space because the burner size is nice and big but if you use it you can't use the other 4 at the same time. Let's not even talk about how it takes a day and a year to preheat and the kitchen gets very hot. When this oven will break, I am totally going back to a hotpoint.

mizle10

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:24 am
I never got people who don’t like a built in garbage can. Mine is a regular size, and comes out of the tracks so when I’m cooking for shabbos or something I just take it out, put it near me and close the cabinet.

yersp

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:58 am
mizle10 wrote:
I never got people who don’t like a built in garbage can. Mine is a regular size, and comes out of the tracks so when I’m cooking for shabbos or something I just take it out, put it near me and close the cabinet.

I always tell people my kitchen was designed by men. I was there when we were discussing it but there were lots if strings attached and I had to be happy with what was offered. My garbage can cabinet is actually at a diff end of kitchen. Not even next to the counters where I do the actual cooking.

freilich

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:12 pm
yersp wrote:
Depending on size of kitchen an island is very helpful.
Make sure to leave room somewhere like by side of fridge for broom and shovel or have a closet special just for that
Garbage cans: I hate the one I have that it's in a cabinet. It comes with 2 small cans and I cant cook like that. Im used to having cans next to me. I saw the following design by my aunt and regret not doing in my own kitchen: designate a space by side of a cabinet that it should be an emtpy space but from front it should have a panel so it looks like part of the kitchen but from side you can put can there.
A dishwasher is only a must if you have the space. For me it was either drawer space or dishwasher. I chose drawers.
Regarding appliances: I have the GE stove with 5 burners. I hate it hate hate it HATE IT!
The grates you can't clean normally with steel wool, only by soaking in ammonia. I hate the smell of it so I gotta lug those heavy huge grates to the bathtub to soak in hot water and detergent. They're very heavy. I used to have a hotpoint oven with 4 grates. They were a breeze to clean. The 5th middle grate on GE is a waste of space because the burner size is nice and big but if you use it you can't use the other 4 at the same time. Let's not even talk about how it takes a day and a year to preheat and the kitchen gets very hot. When this oven will break, I am totally going back to a hotpoint.

Someone gave me the idea of doing the grates in the dishwasher. What a lifesaver!

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:15 pm
I have my garbage can in a cabinet but it's on the floor. Just a cabinet door. I move it around in and out as I please

simcha2

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:19 pm
Pull out shelves in cabinets make all the difference. I wish I had them in my pantry too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars