Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Amazon mistake, wwyd
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:24 pm

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I received a package I ordered a package from Amazon but on there app they have it as not received and are giving me the option of having another one sent out. am I crazy for even thinking of actually doing it?

Let them know the truth. They will probably tell you to keep it anyway. But either way, don't steal.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:35 pm
I once ordered a toy from a website - not amazon.They sent me the item twice instead of once. I contacted them - they hadn't even noticed. I anyway sent the spare one back to them. Felt that was the right thing to do.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I don't ask my Rav if I should be a mentch. It's sad that you do.
Bh I have my own common sense and middos tovos to do the right thing.
It's not so difficult to make a kiddush hashem.

Yes, you sound very mentchlich...

thanks

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:49 pm
When doing an amazon return, one option you can select is "item sent by mistake". They'll give you a label, and no refund. It's meant to be used for this.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 2:53 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Yes, you sound very mentchlich...

Why is this comment necessary??

freilich

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:22 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I really don't understand some of these responses. It's like you learned some Torah and came away with no moral compass. Is there any mitzvah anywhere in the Torah that you need to lie and tell Amazon that your order hasn't arrived so that you can get a second one without paying (ie steal?) No, there's no such mitzvah. So what's there to ask a Rabbi about? What's the dilemma?

Secondly, people here are grown adults and would have no shame about calling their Rav to ask if they can lie to a company to steal something from them? What kind of community are people in that the idea of this would sound reasonable? Do you really believe that your Rav is so not erlich he would give this the thumbs up?

( This isn't to OP who seems to have understood from the beginning that this wasn't right and was just grappling with having had a thought.)

Just to clarify. I’m a very very honest person. I’m the last person who tries to get legal or not so legal freebies. I just have an issue to the poster who responded that it’s not erlich, when it was suggested to ask da’as Torah.

Ze hu.

freilich

Post Thu, Feb 20 2020, 3:25 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
This situation is not tu'as akim. Tu'is akim would be if she received 2. This is actually stealing. She got the item she ordered but it doesn't register as delivered so she wants to order another one for free. This is downright stealing and I can't believe someone would even think of doing such a thing.
And many many amazon sellers are Jewish.

Like I said. I’m not condoning doing it. And OP was just hashing it out here. I just don’t like people who come with a holier than thou attitude.

mlc

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 3:38 pm
You are human, and this might seem tempting. But no. Don’t do it. Midbar sheker tirchak. Stay far from any dishonesty. You are better than that. Hugs!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:23 am
This thread is such a chillul hashem, plays right into anti-semitic stereotypes.

malki2

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
This thread is such a chillul hashem, plays right into anti-semitic stereotypes.

I love this. As if any non-Jew would even consider returning something that he or she received by mistake from Amazon.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:29 am
This actually reminds me of what happened last week. I was at the dentist with my daughter and there's a box a prizes and there's a sign saying to please take only one. The dentist also tells the kids to take just one. One kid said but I want 2 prizes. The dentist said sorry, 1 for everyone. She went to choose a prize, the dentist looked away for a second and mom says to her child "take fast 2 prizes, the dentist isn't looking!!!!"
I was floored!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:44 am
malki2 wrote:
I love this. As if any non-Jew would even consider returning something that he or she received by mistake from Amazon.

That is not the situation that the OP wrote about. Reread her post.

And yes, nonJews do.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions