Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar mitzva halls - brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 12:53 pm
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to do a bar mitzvah here. Are there any halls - ones in a shul are ok too - where you can rent a hall for a set price and then bring your own stuff - mostly buying pans of food from a heimish caterer like mealmart and setting it up to keep it hot buffet style with something like:

https://www.partycity.com/chaf......html

and then stuff like challah rolls, sodas, cakes and then set up everything yourself? Do you know of any halls that allow that and/or prices?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 1:01 pm
Absolutely!

Most Shul’s rent their basements/halls for $350 and up.
My shul gives a discount to mispallilim.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Absolutely!

Most Shul’s rent their basements/halls for $350 and up.
My shul gives a discount to mispallilim.

Thanks for your reply, I was under the impression that most shuls want you to use a specific caterer/person doing it for you and that you can't just bring stuff in yourself. Any specific shuls/halls that you're aware of or should I just try to cold-call?

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:33 pm
How many people are you expecting, and which part of Brooklyn are you looking for? Also, in terms of calculating space, will you be having a keyboard player and dance floor?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:35 pm
Which Shuls in Brooklyn do this? I don’t know of any except the official shul halls that cater.

mfb

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 2:54 pm
Price out the food and see if it comes out cheaper this way than using a hall with food included.
Here you would have to be the one buying food, drinks, all the paper goods/tablecloths...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:02 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I'd prefer the flatbush section and so far I think doing something like this would work out cheapest if I can find a hall that would allow this. A simple hall is great also, just need enough tables & chairs. I'm not sure how many guests yet, but I'm thinking between 75 and 100. I don't mind if hall is larger and can hold more as long as price is good and they allow for this. I'd like there to be some room for men to dance, maybe a one-man family friend playing music, but would be ok if just use recorded music.

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:51 pm
I would try Bais Yosef Novardok at 15th and N. The location is great, the space should be large enough, there's a good chance they'll let you bring in your food and warming setup, and it is likely from the cheaper options that offer everything you're looking for. You could also check out the basements of Chaim Berlin elementary, Rabbi Weinfeld (22nd and L), Rabbi Geldwerth (21st and M), and Rabbi Kahn (18th and J).

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:18 pm
I think ohr Shraga rents their basement

crbc

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:44 pm
Try Young israel of midwood

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:13 pm
Sisu visimchu on 18th ave and East 4 is very well priced including basic food

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:43 pm
Thanks everyone for all the ideas! It is much appreciated!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics