Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Michal for a future baby girl in chasidish community
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:26 am
Didn’t you just have a baby five minutes ago?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:43 am
OP, I don't know many chassidish Michal's but I know one who attended Satmar School. A very popular girl from an ultra chassidish family. I never thought twice about it, only now that you mention it, do I realize it wasn't all that common but I honestly believe it didn't impact her at all.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:12 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Say it quietly, and delete it in 5 minutes. Everyone in NY is sleeping anyway.

I don't know who you are and you could e my cousin. I have a few cousins here. I know this because on another thread 4 people said they were related to a member of my family.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:22 am
nchr wrote:
I don't know who you are and you could e my cousin. I have a few cousins here. I know this because on another thread 4 people said they were related to a member of my family.

Are you a therapist of some sort?
An accountant?
A dr? Nurse?

I’m sooo curious....

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:26 am
Mechya is a rare Yiddish girls name. Only met one child from BP with this name. Rina could be replaced with Riva, also a pretty rare Yiddish girl's name. But you probably should choose more common names. You could do a name with the same meaning like Fraida for Rina.

Michal will not work in Satmar. But you shouldn't do shprintza or shlumtza either since it wouldn't be fair for your kids to have that name. Try to stick to Chana, Rivka, Chava, Chaya.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:37 am
I was just talking to a friend of mine about the name Michal over shabbos. She said that she likes the name, but she has family from England and South Africa, and they pronounce it more like Michel (the boys name, not to be confused with Michoel) than Meechal, so it wasn’t on her list for girl names.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Mechya is a rare Yiddish girls name. Only met one child from BP with this name. Rina could be replaced with Riva, also a pretty rare Yiddish girl's name. But you probably should choose more common names. You could do a name with the same meaning like Fraida for Rina.

Michal will not work in Satmar. But you shouldn't do shprintza or shlumtza either since it wouldn't be fair for your kids to have that name. Try to stick to Chana, Rivka, Chava, Chaya.

Why would a biblical name be so scandalous in Satmar? That’s so odd.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

It's not scandalous, just not really used. So, that would make a child be the odd one out. Chassidish culture in NY requires conformity and not standing out. Don't know how to explain it any better, but it is very important, especially if you have something else that is already making you feel different (like OPs) kids. And many people wont give names like Shprintza or Feila either, even if they are more acceptable than Michal, because they are just different. Zehava or Atara would be scandalous because they are Ivrit and a load of other things.

freilich

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:13 am
Nchr can you tell me what's scandalous to take out kids from school on a Sunday?? Am I missing something?? I understand that Sundays attendance is very strict. But scandalous?

OP, I love the name Michal, though it's certainly not common in the chassidisha velt. You did say your not pregnant, so it's totally not relevant right now. I suggest you take it day by day , and see which type of community you feel the most comfortable in.

Try to get a balanced and smart rav for guidance. I hate when geirim and BT people get the most stringent views. They are already trying to fit in as is. The Torah has 70 beautiful shades. OP, make sure to pick the one that's right for you and your family.

Many many hugs OP. I love you because you are my sister.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:17 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
There's a family of geirim living somewhere in the Catskils that send their daughters tot he main Satmar school in KJ. They are extremely well integrated and their dress code is quite extreme conservative. I know of another geyores married to a very popular musician whose kids are also easily mainstreamed here.

Is that what you call integrated?
I'm not going to carry on a discussion about a single person here but... c'mon.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:16 am
OP, this is a time to choose your battles

I'm not chassidish, I'm lubavitch so we're pretty open and have many families with similar backgrounds to yours that are integrated well in our community. At the same time, kids with unique backgrounds do have a hard time socially in certain situations. If you children don't have frum cousins, are missing some of the subtle cultural nuances, have out of the box parents, maybe you don't want to give them a name that will mark them as different as well. Just something to think about. Is it terrible? No. It's a beautiful name. Is it scandalous as some posters above have said? No. But ask yourself if it's wise.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:25 am
I think it’s totally fine if you are using this name to name after someone, like a great grandmother but if you simply choose it because you like it, it’s fine ... it’s not like you made up a name..but you will probably have some raised eyebrows.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:35 am
OP, I’m not from the kind of community most o the responders here are from, so I guess I’m a little surprised. I don’t want to give bad advice but I think Michal is a beautiful name and She was a strong woman from Tanach. I don’t know how you are in general but I have always enjoyed being unique. One of my friends has a highly unusual yiddish name and was always so confident about it; she was always very popular. I can understand not choosing a modern Hebrew name for hashkafic reasons, but a beautiful Tanach name?

The reason I may never give a name like that is because of family obligations to name after ancestors. If this is not applicable to you, why not name for a tzadeikes.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 10:48 am
freilich wrote:
Nchr can you tell me what's scandalous to take out kids from school on a Sunday?? Am I missing something?? I understand that Sundays attendance is very strict. But scandalous?

It's not scandalous, but my children should do everything their peers do and not feel different or get different treatment than their peers (I.e. skip school Sunday).

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:11 pm
I've told this story again but it bears repeating, I think.

I wanted to name for my grandmother's mother, whose name was Chaya Yenta. DGM (who was MO) said, "Please don't give Yenta. Our friends picked a pretty name like Yonina."

Go explain to DGM that living in very yeshivish community, Yonina would not be a good name. We consulted a Rov who's an expert on names & ended up with Yocheved.

A few months later DH got a chinuch post out of town where the older kids were attending the local community day school. Yonina could have fit in very nicely.

(And we were once looking into a boy whose mother was Chaya Yenta. Or maybe it was Chaya Yocheved... I thought for sure... but no...)

It is often said parents have ruach hakodesh in naming a child. Still, the parents need to use seichel and try not to give a name that is likely to embarrass a child (like General Grant whose parents names him Harmon Ulysses Grant. He dropped the Harmon.)

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:23 pm

For the same reason Rivka is frowned upon by my modern litvish cousins in eretzyisrael.

The each add a Hebrew or more trendy Biblical name when naming after bubbe Rivka and DO NOT CALL THE BABY RIVKA.

It is old fashioned in their culture (- BaisYaakov- to the left.)

Every CULTURE ATTACHES MEANING TO THINGS.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:30 pm
Didn’t you just have a baby five minutes ago?

Lol did I NOT say in the post that I’m not pregnant?

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:32 pm
I have no ancestors to name my kid after because we are geirim and my husband and I love torah names

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 5:46 pm

It's not frowned upon because of an underlying hashkafa.
Most people give names that their bubbies had.
It just so happens that most bubbies were not named Michal.

To give a Torah name is not frowned upon. To call a girl with the name of a character (Mickey) is.

lilies

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:23 pm
If your daughter would like to go to school wearing neon green shoes because she just loooooves them, would you let her? You seem like you would. I know I would. But, what if your kid really wants to fit in and as much as you encourage her individuality, she will insist on only wearing what others are, will know exactly what type of briefcase to buy...that type of child might just be resentful of an uncommon name.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names