Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach menu help

gdgirl

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:52 am
Everyone says, make your menu before you shop...but Im having a hard time getting started. first-timer here... Any help or sample menus, non gebrokts, would be greatly appreciated!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:28 am
The first time is hard to estimate.

How many people are you? Are you having guests for any meals, or going out for one or more meal? Do you want fleishics right through a three day Yom Tov, or will you go for a fish/milchic meal at any point? If you buy too much meat or chicken it will only sit in the freezer, and you can use it after Pesach. You don't want to spend more money than you have to, but meat won't go to waste.

You might want base your meals, at least for the Seder, on what you grew up with - it would feel more traditional.

Look through Pesach recipe books and see what appeals to you. That will give you a starting point. A lot of the vegetable dishes and kugels that you make all year are good for Pesach with little or no adaptation. You can base your menu on your regular Shabbos or Yom Tov menu until you get to dessert.

Buy twice as many eggs as you think you need. They go incredibly quickly.

You can never have too many potatoes. You'll find things to do with them for each meal. And onions.

If you think you will use them, buy plenty of salad vegetables. They make a break from all the heavy Yom Tov meals.

As far as possible, buy things that you can use up afterwards if you overbuy. Olive oil always gets used, walnut oil you may have to make an effort to finish after Pesach.

What range of spices will you want to use?

Keep a list of what you buy and in what quantities. After Pesach go back and make a note of whether you ran out of each item, had too much if it, or if it was just right. That will give you a basis for next year.

teachkids

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 8:28 am
Our favorite way to do menus to to start with a master list of possible foods:

chickens/meats
starchy sides (kugels, potatoes)
veggie sides
veggie salads
other salads
desserts
milchigs

Then we look at each meal, who's coming, and mix and match one or two foods from each category

MiriFr

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:27 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....59594

Boom.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:35 am
You’ll probably want
chicken soup
Roasts
Kugel (potato, apple)
Cake

Those are the basics then see what else you want

saralem

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 9:59 am
I also make lists by category. Meat: roasts, brisket, tzimmes with short ribs, meat loaf, meatballs. Also hamburgers. Chicken: with orange juice, with tomato sauce, with homemade duck sauce, shnitzel made with ground almonds or non gebrocks crumbs, chicken balls and patties. Fish: loaves, salmon fillets, patties. Kugels: potato, carrot, onion, mixed potato with zucchini. Soups: chicken, puréed vegetable, beef and onion. Desserts: apple crumb cake/kugel, ices, fruit sauces such as apple sauce and strawberries/blueberries ( made before yomtov since we peel), brownies, blondies. Side dishes: roast every type of vegetable! Salads: beets, carrot, cucumber,egg, mock chopped liver, cooked squash and tomato. Eggplant.
I don’t cook milchigs but we have cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese. Lots of fresh fruit. I use puréed fresh pineapple to make my tzimmes and other meats. Delicious flavor and a natural tenderizer. Food processor is Pesach’s best friend!
Honestly I don’t cook on chag so I cook for 3 days prior to yomtov and freeze everything. It comes out perfect- no freezer taste and so much more relaxing.
No matter what, Pesach at home is always wonderful. Make lots of memories for your family. Not just food!

gdgirl

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:13 pm
thank you to those who responded! would appreciate any other ideas/menu samples
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics