Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Michal for a future baby girl in chasidish community
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
It's not frowned upon because of an underlying hashkafa.
Most people give names that their bubbies had.
It just so happens that most bubbies were not named Michal.

To give a Torah name is not frowned upon. To call a girl with the name of a character (Mickey) is.

I know a mishket in KJ called Mikki.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:10 pm
OP, give your daughter TWO names like Michal Chana. You can try using just Michal but
just in case your DD hates it, you can use Chana.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:13 pm
According to wikipedia "Michal" was one of several Biblical names embraced by Zionism, very rarely found in pre-Zionist communities. It is a very common female first name in contemporary Israel.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:20 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I have no ancestors to name my kid after because we are geirim and my husband and I love torah names

My father is a ger and my mother is a BT. My sister and I have biblical names and are not named after anyone.
My brothers are named after grandparents on my mothers side but the ones named after non frum grandparents also have the name of a tzaddik first. Since my father was part of a chasiddus he named his son’s after the rabbanim in that chasidic dynasty.

My DHs parents are converts and all of his siblings have biblical names. One of the names are not common at all so they added another name first and she’s called by the more popular name.
Because our family is so limited with names , I’ve named quite a few of my kids after tzaddikim. (When they were born around a yahrtzeit of that particular tzaddik)

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:43 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Lol did I NOT say in the post that I’m not pregnant?

I would assume not because based on your posts you just made a bris. It’s cute that you’re already planning the next one.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 7:47 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
According to wikipedia "Michal" was one of several Biblical names embraced by Zionism, very rarely found in pre-Zionist communities. It is a very common female first name in contemporary Israel.

That is why Michal is considered a modern tzioni (zionist) name.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:06 pm
I went to satmar. Many many (30+) years ago. In pre1a had a classmate named aliza. We all called her aliza n obviously had np with that
Then a "very nice" teacher came and made an announcement. We were going to call her, I think, goldy? Because aliza is not a real name and obviously her mom made a mistake or something.. naturally, being kids, we continued calling her aliza. Im assuming tho can't even remember that the teacher continued calling her herown name.. tbh there were many things wrong with this teacher and im guessing such a story wouldn't happen today.. although I recall we treated her like every else, aliza ended up changing schools the next year, to another very chasidish school actually, n it seems she did well there too.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 23 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I went to satmar. Many many (30+) years ago. In pre1a had a classmate named aliza. We all called her aliza n obviously had np with that
Then a "very nice" teacher came and made an announcement. We were going to call her, I think, goldy? Because aliza is not a real name and obviously her mom made a mistake or something.. naturally, being kids, we continued calling her aliza. Im assuming tho can't even remember that the teacher continued calling her herown name.. tbh there were many things wrong with this teacher and im guessing such a story wouldn't happen today.. although I recall we treated her like every else, aliza ended up changing schools the next year, to another very chasidish school actually, n it seems she did well there too.

That is insane.
I have a relative that insists on calling my child by a nickname (think Esty when she is actually Esther) and it drives me crazy, but a totally new unrelated name is super strange. Why do people think they can change children’s names to their preferences?

gamanit

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 12:53 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Thing is I don’t like the chasidish sounding names lol idk it just not what I’m used to

I’m not used to names like
Suri
Ruchy
Chumy
Neni
Zelda
Hentchy
Shprintza
Charna

I like the name adel and ella tho but I won’t name my kid that.

We already stand out...and I like my kid to be unique and not just another esti rochel lol

You do realize that Suri is a nickname for Sarah, Ruchy a nickname for Rachel, and Chumy is short for Nechama, right?

Neni I've never heard of but I guess it's a nickname for Genendel which isn't common even in chassidishe circles. Zeldy is more heard of but you hear Rivky, Esty, Chany and Devoiry much more.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:14 am
gamanit wrote:
You do realize that Suri is a nickname for Sarah, Ruchy a nickname for Rachel, and Chumy is short for Nechama, right?

Neni I've never heard of but I guess it's a nickname for Genendel which isn't common even in chassidishe circles. Zeldy is more heard of but you hear Rivky, Esty, Chany and Devoiry much more.

Neni is for Nena. And yeah, Rivky and Esty are probably the most common names around here.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:15 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Neni is for Nena. And yeah, Rivky and Esty are probably the most common names around here.

Nopes. It's Chany Wink

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 10:40 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Nopes. It's Chany Wink
Actually, it's Layala and Chayala.

rising hero

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Now I have to know what your job is. Seriously, dying of curiosity.

Im assuming something like chevra kadisha, mikvah lady, bodekes...

I think that a chasidishe ger/bt has more leeway in naming their kid a random name that they like because often they dont have names from grandparents they could name after. It might make them unique but not in a bad way.

And please dont call a Michal with a nickname like micky! Why take a perfectly beautiful name and mess it up like that Dont know

Last edited by rising hero on Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Actually, it's Layala and Chayala.

Esther/Esty for sure.

bnm

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:14 pm
Growing up Chasidish in Boro Park, attending 2-3 different schools/camps, the only Michal I knew was Modern Orthodox. The name would definilty stick out in Boro Park school.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 6:48 pm
actually she is probably something high up in the academic secular world, national health, government, think medical researcher type
(sorry to digress but am often impressed with your posts /knowledge nchr)

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:23 pm
My daughter name is Michal and were a regular Yeshivish family. Michal is a beautiful name and it's a torah name.
מיכל is a girl name.
מיכאל is a boys name

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
My daughter name is Michal and were a regular Yeshivish family. Michal is a beautiful name and it's a torah name.
מיכל is a girl name.
מיכאל is a boys name

There is a boys name Mechel/מיכל that usually is paired with Yechiel.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 8:50 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
actually she is probably something high up in the academic secular world, national health, government, think medical researcher type
(sorry to digress but am often impressed with your posts /knowledge nchr)

You're getting warm, but I am not a Medical Professional. I want to clarify that because I often am active in threads related to health and vaccination, and I do not want anyone to consider my advice as coming from a medical professional or as medical advice. And thank you, Slategray amother.

rising hero

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 9:04 pm
nchr wrote:
You're getting warm, but I am not a Medical Professional. I want to clarify that because I often am active in threads related to health and vaccination, and I do not want anyone to consider my advice as coming from a medical professional or as medical advice. And thank you, Slategray amother.

What is the reason that you keep your job a secret from your kids? Im curious.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names